Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

Any SF BESS students here who've just done the Introduction to Finance exam? If so, how'd you and your classmates get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Torque

Hey,

Im just wondering what the most popular choices for Business & Economics modules in 3rd year are. Haven't had time to look into them too much but am trying to avoid Wycherly if possible. I have my eye on Economic Analysis, Investment Analysis and either Money and Banking or Industrial Economics.... hoping someone can give some advice on the last 2 mentioned.

Also On the business spectrum I have Finance and Accounting down. But am wondering what Marketing or Organisation theory and change are like?

Really stressed and need this in Monday ( have good excuse for being late but have been advised to get it in by then). Thanks Folks,

Torque

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

Can't help on the economics side but on the business side.

Financial accounting is a good choice.

About marketing I didn't like it in second year so avoided it in third.

ODC is a strange subject, I would recommend it if you liked the sociology ascept of first year. That might be a bit of jump to say its like sociology but its more closely related to that than other business modules, I think. I am saying this after doing the follow on course EOE and not enjoying it very much so my view is fairly subjective, although if you do EOE you'll learn everyone is subjective, anyways its not a bad subject, not great either. I felt the end of year exam was easy enough though.

My recommendation would be to do operations. Solid information and great lecturer.

Also HRM is common sense and pretty easy, just one whopper project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

Accounting is a good one, overall. I hated it during the year, so bloody boring, but first term assessment is pretty much just basic debits/credits, and the end of year assessment is based on about 13 financial standards that are remarkably straightforward and you can just learn them off. I left it a little late, but if you started putting notes for it together even slightly early you could have the course down and not have to worry about it much come exam time. Did you do accounting this year? If you did and you scored well, third year should be no problem.

Marketing really is much more of the same as second year, although Norah Campbell puts a slightly different tint on things. If you enjoyed it in second year, you'll most likely feel the exact same about the third year course.

I'd agree with HoW about Ops. A really solid course, and Mary Lee Rhodes is pretty great, to be fair to her. 30% is also based on a group 'simulation' project whereby you run a virtual company on a small scale over 4 simulated years on your laptop, somewhat similar to football manager, but for, eh, supply chain management. It's nice because you don't really have to study for it, and it's fairly intuitive and interesting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

And Economics:

Analysis:
    Micro is a bastard. Fuck micro. It's not that Somerville is a bad lecturer though I just think it's a hard and boring subject, but I know i'm not the only one. Macro on the other hand is pretty easy. You don't even need to go to lectures, just read the book. Very biased toward the Neoclassical model but still interesting. Most people seemed to find micro straightforward in the final exam, and macro hard though. So maybe it is just me.

Money and Banking:
    Just had that exam today. Could've done half the exam from knowledge I'd gained from watching the news and 2nd and 3rd year macro. And the other half doesn't have too many topics covered, so it's not too hard. In general it's a pretty interesting subject, especially Antoin's module.

I'd recommend the economics of less developed countries. Wycherley teaches it so you might not like it, but it's a really interesting subject. Wycherley's pretty good (compared to 2nd year maths and stats), and the other lecturer Michael King is brilliant. I get the impression that it's impossible for a lecturer to make maths and stats good so don't judge any lecturer on it. Nobody likes maths and stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

Anyone care to share their experience of the 3rd year Finance module?? I'm undecided whether to switch into it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 hurluberlu

Anyone care to share their experience with Econometrics and JS Maths? I heard Econometrics is hard but it should be feasible with a bit of effort. Carol Newman is brilliant and that will surely help. I am a bit worried about Maths, I am only doing it cos it's a requirement for Quantitative Methods in fourth year. I have looked at last year's paper and it looks really hard. I really liked Scanlon in first year but I am worried about Vahagn, he is not very clear and his part of the SF exam was really hard. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

hurluberlu wrote: »
    Anyone care to share their experience with Econometrics and JS Maths? I heard Econometrics is hard but it should be feasible with a bit of effort. Carol Newman is brilliant and that will surely help. I am a bit worried about Maths, I am only doing it cos it's a requirement for Quantitative Methods in fourth year. I have looked at last year's paper and it looks really hard. I really liked Scanlon in first year but I am worried about Vahagn, he is not very clear and his part of the SF exam was really hard. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

I dunno about maths, but I do econometrics. You're pretty much right; hard, but it's handy, and taught well, so it's doable. I've heard that quant's is reeeeeeeeallly incredibly hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Hi! :D

I'm currently a 6th year and was thinking of putting BESS on my CAO, but I'm worried that the entire first year will be based around economics?

Now don't get me wrong, I do Business and Economics in school, and find them both fairly easy, but economics really is the bane of my life. All the markets and diagrams are all so similar, it wrecks my head, so I really couldn't stand an entire year based around it.

Anyone care to fill me in on if it's as bad as I imagine? Thanks!:P

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Hi! :D

I'm currently a 6th year and was thinking of putting BESS on my CAO, but I'm worried that the entire first year will be based around economics?

Now don't get me wrong, I do Business and Economics in school, and find them both fairly easy, but economics really is the bane of my life. All the markets and diagrams are all so similar, it wrecks my head, so I really couldn't stand an entire year based around it.

Anyone care to fill me in on if it's as bad as I imagine? Thanks!:P

It's split perfectly evenly into economics, business, sociology, political science, and maths and stats. though i guess maths and stats is economics-y. So no, it's not based around economics. And the business you do isn't the same, in ANY way, as leaving cert business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I didn't do economics for my LC and I managed. I'd say you'll be fine in first year, and then you can drop economics completely from then onwards if you like. I did this.

The Walsho wrote: »
    I didn't do economics for my LC and I managed. I'd say you'll be fine in first year, and then you can drop economics completely from then onwards if you like. I did this.

I can confirm that Walsho did this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Thanks lads! :)

Ah yeah I'd have no problem coping with it, I just strongly dislike it! :P Now all I need to do is ..study.. to get the points..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

andrew wrote: »
    I can confirm that Walsho did this

I'd just like to confirm that I also did this.

I'd just like to confirm that I also did this.

I can also confirm that Nailer did this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

Got 485, should be enough for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Went up by 5 points in 2009 and again in 2010, could be 485 or even 490 this year - but you should be safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wanted BESS and got 470, I am dissapoint.

Any chance this could go down 5?

It was 480 last year.

Was 475*

• Advertisement

That's round 1, went down in round 2. Doesn't matter anyway, I'd guess that ittl be 475/480 this year and i'll just miss out unless I go up from rechecks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Should I be safe with 495?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

What's the story with college hours?!

What's the story with college hours?!
    What do you mean? How many hours per week do you spend in college in BESS, or something else?

I just finished first year, so feel free to PM me any questions if you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 _Ann_

Does anyone know if Garda Vetting is required for BESS? :confused:

Got my Orientation Pack today in the post, and there is a section in it regarding Garda Vetting, but it states that it only applies to "Students on programmes with clinical or other professional placements or on programmes that will bring them into professional contact with children and/or vunerable adults".
    I'm not sure if BESS falls into that category? :confused:

It was in my Orientation Pack so I presume it applies to me? :confused:
    But then again the word "BESS" isn't specified anywhere in the Orientation Pack so I'm not sure if everyone got the same Orientation Pack regardless of what course they're doing? :confused:
    Because I have everything from Medicine to Dentistry to Physiotherapy in my Orientation Pack which does not apply to me in any way or form?:confused:

_Ann_ wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Garda Vetting is required for BESS? :confused:

Got my Orientation Pack today in the post, and there is a section in it regarding Garda Vetting, but it states that it only applies to "Students on programmes with clinical or other professional placements or on programmes that will bring them into professional contact with children and/or vunerable adults".
    I'm not sure if BESS falls into that category? :confused:

It was in my Orientation Pack so I presume it applies to me? :confused:
    But then again the word "BESS" isn't specified anywhere in the Orientation Pack so I'm not sure if everyone got the same Orientation Pack regardless of what course they're doing? :confused:
    Because I have everything from Medicine to Dentistry to Physiotherapy in my Orientation Pack which does not apply to me in any way or form?:confused:

As BESS brings you into contact with neither children nor vulnerable adults, no, Garda vetting is not required. Everyone gets the same orientation pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Mr_Man!

andrew wrote: »
    As BESS brings you into contact with neither children nor vulnerable adults, no, Garda vetting is not required. Everyone gets the same orientation pack.

Not everyone gets the same orientation pack. There are about 5 different packs that are given out (that is why your orientation pack will have a number on the front cover).

You don't need garda vetting for BESS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 feargal05

hey there boys and girls, feargal from Cavan here. Lookin for anyone else startin BESS this comming month. To meet up with during Orientation/freshers week.

Hope to see you all in good health and maybe after we can drink some Ribena and have a dance to some classic Lady Gaga!

Bonjour!

• Advertisement

What the ****.

Advertisement