Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

The Walsho wrote: »
    Course we are. I even added you as a chum on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Anyone know more about the HEC programme?

All I can find is this from the website
    H.E.C. Programme Single honors Economics, joint honors Economics/Business Studies or BBS students may apply for entry to the programme. At the end of their Junior Sophister year students transfer to the H.E.C. in Paris for a further two years of study. On successful completion of this programme, students are eligible for the award of either the BA or B.B.S., together with the Diplôme de Grand Ecole from the H.E.C.
    Admission to the programme will be on the basis of an interview and the results of the Junior Sophister examination in which applicants are required to obtain a second class (second division) result or better. Applicants should also have successfully completed the BESS French language course at both Junior Freshman and Senior Freshman level.
    Students admitted to the H.E.C. Must continue to register annually as students of Trinity College and pay the appropriate fees to Trinity College and the H.E.C. Applications should be submitted to the Department office on the prescribed form not later than the end of January of the proposed year of entry.
    The HEC has an acceptance rate of only 4%. It's seriously tough to get into for most French students and once you're out of the course you're seriously employable.

This seems too good to be true. Are there a limited number of places and does anyone know what the overall costs would be?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 HideAndSeek23

So hard to find if someones already posted this question in the thread but is anyone doing a single honours bbs or a joint degree involving business? If so any advice on what business subjects to pick and what to avoid in JS?? (started in bess but am pretty sure im going to do a bbs from 3rd year on)

Any help would be great thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Avoid Applied Finance, it's deadly boring, heavily maths based.

Anyone on here doing SF BESS exams in a few weeks?? If so would like to hear how your preparing for OB and Intermediate Economics if your doing it seem to be the worst subjects I've ever seen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Sparki

Anyone have any info on SS politics subjects specifically: African Politics, Political Parties and Issues in Contemporary Politics. Trying to pick 2 between them.

Also Sociology subjects: Migration, conflict Studies and poverty inequality and redistribution....

Any insight at all would be helpful. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭charmer

Sparki wrote: »
    Anyone have any info on SS politics subjects specifically: African Politics, Political Parties and Issues in Contemporary Politics. Trying to pick 2 between them.

Also Sociology subjects: Migration, conflict Studies and poverty inequality and redistribution....

Any insight at all would be helpful. Cheers!

I'm assuming you have already read the course outlines?
    If not:

Migration

Conflict Studies

Poverty, Inequality and Redistribution (p46 of course handbook)

I'll be going with the latter two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

Don't suppose there's anyone on here who has done Marketing in SF or JS who has prepared an answer for the questions "What is Marketing?"

It's the only question we've been told will definitely come up on this year's JS exam, but it's also the same kind of wishy washy bull that's impossible to answer correctly unless you know exactly what she's looking for.

Any 4th years out there have anything prepared on this?

I'm SF at the moment but I have an essay I'll forward onto you not sure if it'll be any use though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 billyburg

i would start with the definition that she gives which is something like marketing is "the total company effort to provide value to the customer at a profit."

elaborating on this, use the framework she provides to structure the essay, while emphasising the importance of customer centricity, brand building and analytics?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Just turn it into an essay about your iPhone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 machete happy

JF BESS anyone? Sociology exam this thursday is anyone here just studying 2 questions for Daniel Faas section or should I be preparing all 6 questions?

I'm SF at the moment but I have an essay I'll forward onto you not sure if it'll be any use though...

Got your mail and replied, thanks very much!
    billyburg wrote: »
    i would start with the definition that she gives which is something like marketing is "the total company effort to provide value to the customer at a profit."

elaborating on this, use the framework she provides to structure the essay, while emphasising the importance of customer centricity, brand building and analytics?

That's actually very good advice. She loves that 'total company effort' sentence, it's on loads of her slides and she brings it up a lot. Are you 3rd or 4th year BESS? That seems like a good way to structure it too.

andrew wrote: »
    Just turn it into an essay about your iPhone

Writing this reply on my iPhone :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

I have an e-mail full of marketing essays, if you want to PM me your email I'll forward it on. Its from last year, not sure of the quality because I got included by accident, didn't actually take the module.

I have an e-mail full of marketing essays, if you want to PM me your email I'll forward it on. Its from last year, not sure of the quality because I got included by accident, didn't actually take the module.

That would be excellent, thank you! I'll mail you there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Anyone have any JF Law notes/tips/help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Tragedy wrote: »
    Anyone have any JF Law notes/tips/help?

What Law do you do in BESS? :) I may be able to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Introduction to Law, think it's specific to bess/social studies though. Cover basic stuff like sources of law, jurisprudence, family law etc

Tragedy wrote: »
    Introduction to Law, think it's specific to bess/social studies though. Cover basic stuff like sources of law, jurisprudence, family law etc

PM me your email there and I'll email you on my first year law notes. I'm in third year now so I'm not sure if the course is still the same, but I'd imagine it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

Is there much accounting in the course? Or can you strategically pick your modules to avoid most of it?

Also, would having done Economics and Business for leaving cert be very helpful?

• Advertisement

ciara95 wrote: »
    Is there much accounting in the course? Or can you strategically pick your modules to avoid most of it?

Also, would having done Economics and Business for leaving cert be very helpful?

You don't have to do any accounting if you don't want to.

LC economics would be helpful for first year economics, since they assume that you don't know any when you start. Leaving cert business and BESS business, however, may as well be different subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Like Andrew said, you can avoid accounting if you wish. Although I think if you were to try to just business from second year onwards, you'd have to do accounting?

Also, I didn't do Economics or Business for the LC but managed alright. People who did economics seemed to be a bit better off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Jegger

Just to all the guys talking about marketing there, am I alone in thinking Mairead Brady is an awful awful teacher? When it comes to her, "wishy-washy" is an understatement, her slides are total BS, 50% are just random pictures and videos, and her lecture voice over is just as bad. Having had her for two years the best advice I would give is to quote her as much as possible in your essays/exams, she loves that. Oh and of course mention Donnybrook Fair about 20 times...

JonGaffer wrote: »
    Just to all the guys talking about marketing there, am I alone in thinking Mairead Brady is an awful awful teacher? When it comes to her, "wishy-washy" is an understatement, her slides are total BS, 50% are just random pictures and videos, and her lecture voice over is just as bad. Having had her for two years the best advice I would give is to quote her as much as possible in your essays/exams, she loves that. Oh and of course mention Donnybrook Fair about 20 times...

You are most definitely not alone in thinking that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 hurluberlu

JonGaffer wrote: »

I don't think she is too bad as a lecturer, she makes the subject relatively interesting and the lectures are quite pleasant. I think where she falls short is assessment, things are really back to front there, works that would get a bare pass by other lecturers are given high grades and vice versa. She has a single-minded approach to marking, she goes in looking for her ideal answer and if yours is anything different she will mark you down. I agree that only way to get a decent grade is not to try and add some value and just puke her notes and book into the project/exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭House of Wolves

I think your right, her grades are insane. I remember getting a very high grade for a terrible project, like really terrible.

I feel a lot of lecturers are like that. I don't want to start naming names though but a certain vocal lecturer in the finance department is a great example.

I don't want to start naming names

vocal
    finance department

SherlockHolmesBrooding.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 hurluberlu

Anyone has got done Applied Finance in third year? I have the feeling that you might be referring to Lucey above....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Left all my econometrics notes in Dublin and I can't access webct for some reason?!

Could anyone send me on the assignments from Carol's half and also tell me what the compulsory questions are this year. I have it written down somewhere. :rolleyes: I'll buy you a pint post exams in return.

Muchos thanks.

Advertisement