Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Sligo Safe?

Options
  • 25-04-2006 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Ok, besides Aine running down the street after us for a bit of new meet (my bf that is)

We're going there this bank Hol weekend for a few nights & are staying in a B&B in the town (well just a few mins walk from the town centre)

I've heard bad reports about Sligo & safety walking at night etc & have been advised to get taxi's everywhere.

Is this true?
    Is it really that bad?

While I have your attention, what's the good pubs, nightclubs, restaurants to go to, & during the day what's unmissable sights to see, things to do.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Feck no... :rolleyes:

Sligo is bad but it's no worse than anywhere else!

There's bad areas but town is fairly packed at night - just stay outta most of the chippers after 2.30 - 3am and you'll be fine.

Where's the B&B? Pearse Road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭RainbowBrite

Mail Coach Road.

what's it like walking back to that area at say 2.30-3am?

Ahhhhh.. that 20 seconds from me... come up for a cup of tea if you want! :D

I've walked home from the pub about that time and later and i've been fine. I was jumped once about 3 years back but was by travellers and it was 11pm at night.

It was much rougher when the now-closed 24-Hour Esso station on Pearse Road was open.

Oh and most lively good pubs in town (exclusively in town):

- The Left Bank,
    - The Belfry,
    - McHugh's

Nightclub's.. there's 3:

- Toffs (best of the bunch.. decent but older crowd)
    - Envy (mostly 18 - 21 year old's)
    - The Velvet Room (just opened a few weeks back - exclusively over 23's and quite strict. Haven't been in there but heard it's nice)

Restaurants:

Fiddlers Creek probably the best in town

Cool, you can be my bodyguard & guide me home safely :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭CoolGuy2006

My ex lives on Mail Coach Road. Its a pretty safe spot, very quiet at night though it can be a busy road during the daytime trafficwise. ive been out in Sligo Hundreds of times and never saw any trouble. After the pubs and clubs shut there are big gatherings at the takeaways so i would avoid these. Ive heard that that is were most of the trouble happens.

Seriously though, dont be worrying about it. I never saw any trouble myself and i did end up in the takeaways a few times.

Sligo is only really good if there is a big roup of you going out. It doesnt have the best nightlife at all. Some alright pubs but they get very crowded.

What music do you like, this will be an important factor before you choose where to go

• Advertisement

basquille wrote:
    - Toffs (best of the bunch.. decent but older crowd)
    - Envy (mostly 18 - 21 year old's)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo, stay well clear

Yep.. regarding takeaways. Avoid 4 Lantern's mainly. If i'm out, i normally go to Burger King and it's not as bad but the massive crowd that sears through the tiny door of the 4 Light's is just brutal.
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo, stay well clear
    Believe me.. i'm with you entirely!

Hate both places and i rarely go to either.. but Toffs is the how shall i say it... better of the two. Just stay in The Left Bank (late license)

basquille wrote:
    Yep.. regarding takeaways. Avoid 4 Lantern's mainly. If i'm out, i normally go to Burger King and it's not as bad but the massive crowd that sears through the tiny door of the 4 Light's is just brutal.

agreed, ive left my burger king remains in many a sligo abode :-)

basquille wrote:
    - The Velvet Room (just opened a few weeks back - exclusively over 23's and quite strict. Haven't been in there but heard it's nice)

Yea, we'll be going here as it was my bf who fitted the furniture / seating etc.
    He said it was a nice looking spot, so we'll be going to see what it's like.

As for what music i'm into:- non really!

Not traditional stuff, not heavy rock / metal bands, anything in between is generally fine. (genral run of the mill radio play type stuff)

P.S. we're in our mid 20's

Thanks for your advice

Ah yes.. Velvet Room is probably your best bet!

Enjoy the weekend anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Region-North West....
    Anyone?

kippy wrote:
    Region-North West....
    Anyone?

hey Kippy, why not post in the "too much time on your hands" region

kippy wrote:
    Region-North West....
    Anyone?

sorry, no, we're in After Hours!!!

Need Directions???:D

If the mods want to move it, feel free.
    If you've no advice for me, why bother commenting

thanks to the others

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ok, besides Aine running down the street after us for a bit of new meet (my bf that is)

We're going there this bank Hol weekend for a few nights & are staying in a B&B in the town (well just a few mins walk from the town centre)

I've heard bad reports about Sligo & safety walking at night etc & have been advised to get taxi's everywhere.

Is this true?
    Is it really that bad?

While I have your attention, what's the good pubs, nightclubs, restaurants to go to, & during the day what's unmissable sights to see, things to do.

Thanks for your help.
    How many men do you have?
    What type of guns?
    Ya, you should be grand. ;)

What a knack hole though. :/

How many men do you have?
    What type of guns?
    Ya, you should be grand. ;)

What a knack hole though. :/

:eek:

:eek:

Never mind that, I've had nothing but great + Fun + safe nigths out in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Calm the jets.....
    Just pointing out there is a forum that Sligo based queries can go into.....
    Lets all start posting in any forum we want and then lambast anyone who suggested that there was a better forum for putting the post into.....
    Apologies for offending anyone.
    Sligo is a lovely spot!

kippy wrote:
    Coolguy is my Hero

thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I think you need to be very carefull in Sligo, or you will be run over by some Westlife fans, who just thought they've seen them accross the street.
    And bring some good earplugsor your hearing will be damaged for life with all the Westlife music.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

nonsense, we just export the plastic buffons.

It's like australia and fosters, nobody in australia drinks fosters, but were willing to let other people suffer.

• Advertisement

Hmmmmmmm.... slight stereotypical view there, mdebets! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Nah sligo is fine you'll be fine I'm from probs one of the roughest areas there "forthhill". and even that ain't to bad it's over hyped the violence in the town since last years horrible shooting. Dont be worried about going into a chipper whatsoever. the best chipper in town is hands down happy eater.

There is a good garda patrol on a fri/sat night anyway and I dont see that much scuffles, you'll be fine walking home at night.

Just say you know me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Been living i Sligo for years some great pubs

Shoot the Crows best pub in the country IMO then Left Bank is a good spot
    As for food
    1 Bistro OConnel St
    2 Fiddlers
    3 Mandran Court beside the cinema
    4 Coach lane (over towards the train station)

As for late night just avoide the chippers if you are worried about AssHoles but you will be fine unless mouthing off. its no worse than anywhere else.

O yeah and dont forget the Showgrounds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Forthill??? thats the posh area!!!!

And you cant go to sligo and not go to the 4lights.... you need the true sligo experience!!!

bennyc wrote:
    Shoot the Crows best pub in the country IMO

have to agree but it wouldnt be everyones cup ot tea. Do you be in there often?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

mmMmmm Shoots Guinness!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

I didn't say kevinsfort if thats what you thought I meant. Forthill is very rough indeed :D

Thanks for all your suggestions

sunzz wrote:
    ..I'm from probs one of the roughest areas there "forthhill".
    Biggest LOL gotten outta me all day!

Yeah, Cranmore's a walk in the park compared to Forthill! :D

• Advertisement

Last time i was out in Sligo!I ended up asleep on the lawn of my friends house beside a car.Woke up only when the woman from next door screamed because she thought id been attacked!I was covered in condiments.

Advertisement