Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭duffalosoldier

They just dont make them like Beverly Hill Cops anymore - Channel 4

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

North Country is on TG4 at 9.30 tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 45 McGeough123

The classic Dumb and Dumber is on TV3 tonight at 9pm. (I LIKE IT A LOT)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Shutter Island is on RTE 2 at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Postcards from the Edge (Mike Nichols) is on RTE 1 at 12am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Moon is on tonight RTE2 9.15. Definitely worth watching.

Gone Baby Gone BBC2 tonight at 10.40. First part of Messrine is on BBC2 at 12.25 tonight. Moon and Messrine tonight, good night for movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Lincon Lawyer is on Film 4 Wed night @9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

A Cock And Bull Story is on BBC 2 at 23:30

Great comedy with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon and their attempts to adapt 'The Life And Times Of Tristram Shandy'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A rare screening of Too Late the Hero (1970) Michael Caine, Denholm Elliot, Henry Fonda, Cliff Robertson, Ian Bannen. Dir Robert Aldrich

RTE 1 2.10 Saturday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Becket (1964) is on BBC2, 1:45PM Saturday. Winner of an Oscar for its screenplay.

To cut a long story short: King King Henry II (Peter O'Toole) is unhappy with the Church as ruled by the Archbishop of Canterbury, so when the incumbent dies, teh King appoints Thomas a Becket (Richard Burton), his friend and drinking buddy, to the job. Problem is, Becket starts to take the job seriously and won't be controlled either, leading to tension between the old friends that eventually boils over. The KIng of France (John Gielgud) only makes things worse by supporting Becket.

"Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?"

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 45 McGeough123

Ferris Bueller's Day off is on E4 at 9 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

The Blind Side TV3 at 9.30pm

Dr No started ten minutes ago on RTE 2

OldRio wrote: »
    The Blind Side TV3 at 9.30pm

That film is so clichéd and patronising with more than a whiff of racism.
    "Sing it with me brothers, thank the Lawd for the white man for he gave us poor negroes the real meaning of Christian charidee."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pookiesboo wrote: »
    "Sing it with me brothers, thank the Lawd for the white man for he gave us poor negroes the real meaning of Christian charidee."

It's based on a true story but it's the Oscar bait version of it. The guy in it has actually won the Superbowl since which would have made an even better ending :)

It's based on a true story but it's the Oscar bait version of it. The guy in it has actually won the Superbowl since which would have made an even better ending :)

Maybe is just me but its so sickly sweet you should have a shot of insulin before watching it. How it was deemed Oscar worthy is beyond me. And don't get me started on that brat who plays the young fella. I can see how the Americans went mad for it though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Maybe is just me but its so sickly sweet you should have a shot of insulin before watching it. How it was deemed Oscar worthy is beyond me. And don't get me started on that brat who plays the young fella. I can see how the Americans went mad for it though.

Oh, I agree completely. I was very disappointed with it. I like Sandra Bullock but no way that was Oscar worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

As mentioned above it is based on a true story. Which I find remarkable.
    It was hinted at in the film that some people had concerns regarding the motives of the adoption but the family went ahead regardless. More power to them.
    Race was a main issue in this film and yet I did not find any of the highlighted part of your post in it. Then again I didn't go looking for it. Unlike Mr. Edwards and yourself.

I am one of the most cynical b@stards that has walked the earth and yet I really enjoyed the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

The brilliant Gran Torino on tg4 tonight @ 9.30.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    As mentioned above it is based on a true story. Which I find remarkable.
    It was hinted at in the film that some people had concerns regarding the motives of the adoption but the family went ahead regardless. More power to them.
    Race was a main issue in this film and yet I did not find any of the highlighted part of your post in it. Then again I didn't go looking for it. Unlike Mr. Edwards and yourself.

I am one of the most cynical b@stards that has walked the earth and yet I really enjoyed the film.

Ya I know it was "based" on a true story. Most of the non-white characters were either maids or crackheads thats why I thought there were racist undertones to it. To be fair it did provide me with a few laughs even if that wasn't the intention, hard to keep a straight face watching it . Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows is on TV3 at 9.

Personally I think RDJ is a great Holmes and his chemistry with Jude Law's Watson is fantastic. The action is OTT but fun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows is on TV3 at 9.

Personally I think RDJ is a great Holmes and his chemistry with Jude Law's Watson is fantastic. The action is OTT but fun

I have to disagree. I love RDJ but my god I thought this was one of the worst films ever. it was boring IMO

Garage is on at 9:30 - I have never seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

eh i dunno wrote: »
    The brilliant Gran Torino on tg4 tonight @ 9.30.

Balls.
    Meant to watch this.
    Got caught up in Garage instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Garage is one of those films that isn't grammar when you watch it; slow, not much happens. But actually a very good film when you think about it afterwards. Same with gemora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Question: Tonight should I watch Good fellas (a favourite of mine which I've seen several times) or Boogie (never seen it but believe it's supposed to be good)

Question: Tonight should I watch Good fellas (a favourite of mine which I've seen several times) or Boogie (never seen it but believe it's supposed to be good)

Boogie? Do you mean Boogie Nights?

If so Boogie Nights is excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Boogie? Do you mean Boogie Nights?

If so Boogie Nights is excellent

Haha yes sorry forgot to add the nights; grand I'll watch that so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Film4, 23:10: Under Siege 2: Dark Territory

Probably the greatest exegesis of the human soul ever committed to celluloid, the passage of 20 years has not dulled the fearsome edge of the probing scalpel which is this film. Does the word "film" even do this cinematic achievement justice? I think not.

To witness Seagal strut his stuff is a joy; he wears his unsurpassed thespian skills as lightly and as naturally as a custom-made suit and he performs in his role here as sure-footedly and as confidently as an ibex might as it grazes contentedly on the slope of a Galician meadow.

He is of course accompanied by an invariably stellar cast, my favourite being Eric Bogosian as the dastardly evil genius who pithily delivers his razor-sharp dialogue which accentuates the majestic action sequences which culminate in a denouement which is so breathtaking in its pathos that the bard himself would rise from his seat and demand an encore.

It is really good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Deadly Pursuit (1988) Tom Berenger, Kirstie Alley and Sidney Poitier in this good but hardly seen (these days) chase drama in the Rockies. Dir Roger Spottiswoode (Under Fire etc).

BBC2 Saturday night/Sunday morning at 12.00 midnight

Advertisement