Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminally underrated bands

Options

Comments

Screaming Trees, Dust is possibly the best album from the whole seattle scene
    Headswim
    Monster Magnet
    I reckon the Super Furry Animals deserve to be way bigger than they are....
    Teamsleep

I agree with Lunar Junkie on the Durutti Column, dont know that much of their stuff, but well impressed, definatly very influential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Afghan Whigs, Twilight Singers, The Replacements, Ramones
    From Ireland always thought Lir deserved more success....

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

From the bands that have been mentioned this thread should really be called - Criminal That They Are Not More Popular

Most of the bands mentioned are highly rated/critically acclaimed...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Garret wrote:
    Good news though, their Blood Meridean EP was released on limited edition vinyl last week to be followed by the full-length album, Left, in early June

The new stuff is supposed to be excellent

Nice one, thats great news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zeptar

just have to put my vote in for kerbdog. they were great. the whole reforming thing was wierd considering they didn't write any new songs or have any intention of doing anything after those gigs. but i'm glad i got to see them a few times all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Galaxie 500 - 'This is Our Music', 'On Fire' and the recently released 'Peel Sessions'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

funktastic wrote:
    Galaxie 500 - 'This is Our Music', 'On Fire' and the recently released 'Peel Sessions'.
    Defintiely. 'When will you come home' is still one of my favourite songs, absolutely brilliant band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Ramones

the ramones aren't under-rated. Their influence on the UK punk scene and NY New Wave scene is recognized

remember just because a band doesn't get #1 albums doesnt meen they are under-rated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Pavement,
    "Crooked rain,crooked rain" and "slanted and enchanted" were amazing..

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭dohboy

Following on from Galaxie 500, dean wareham's next band Luna, also released some brilliant records that no one listened to. split up now after inumerable years as critic's darlings but never crossing over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

dohboy wrote:
    Following on from Galaxie 500, dean wareham's next band Luna, also released some brilliant records that no one listened to. split up now after inumerable years as critic's darlings but never crossing over.

Really loved Galaxie 500. Caught them live in London in 1989 and 1990.

Only Luna record I own is the Hedgehog 7". What albums are worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭dohboy

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Really loved Galaxie 500. Caught them live in London in 1989 and 1990.

Only Luna record I own is the Hedgehog 7". What albums are worth getting?

Bewitched from 1994 is probably thier best - dreamy, shimmering, VU-inspired, guitar pop. Sterling Morrison guests. one of my favourite records of the nineties, no doubt. after that go for pup tent, then romantica.

Trufax: Much of Galaxie 500's recordings were done using talk show host Conan O Brien's drum kit. He roomed with Damon from the band at college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Pavement,
    "Crooked rain,crooked rain" and "slanted and enchanted" were amazing..

Their whole back catalogue is great. I'd choose Wowee Zowee over Slanted And Enchanted though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Garret wrote:
    the ramones aren't under-rated. Their influence on the UK punk scene and NY New Wave scene is recognized

remember just because a band doesn't get #1 albums doesnt meen they are under-rated

Maybe not under-rated, but they split due to lack of recognition in the states, where they mainly played club venues...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Stars Of Heaven - Speak Slowly is amazing. I used to study listening to it.

Thanks for the compliment, though we always had pretty mixed feelings about it, which is probably partly why it wasn't a commercial success.
    Underrated bands: Eels, the Replacements and Microdisney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Rumour has it that Tom Waits is a nobody in the states, a disgrace if so.

he was on celebrity deathmatch how much more famous can you get??

i agree with a number of those already mentioned and would also add
    McLusky
    Life Without Buildings
    Cabaret Voltaire
    Kitchens of Distinction
    The Last Post
    Fatima Mansions
    Teenage Fanclub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Nay Connor

Though old and depressing at times, I still think Alice In Chains and Stone Temple Pilots never received the credit they truly deserved.
    And now AIC are "reforming" and Weiland's...well, the less said of Velvet Revolver, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Northern Uproar - Great guitar-driven music from the mid-nineties. As I've raved elsewhere, their first album is a stormer but the second disappeared and so did they soon afterwards.

Marillion - The best-kept secret in the music business. If their last album had the name Radiohead on the cover, no-one would have batted an eye and it would have sold shedloads.

Jellyfish - Utterly infectious cross between the Beatles, Queen and the Beach Boys. A real pop group.

blastman wrote:
    Marillion - The best-kept secret in the music business. If their last album had the name Radiohead on the cover, no-one would have batted an eye and it would have sold shedloads.

Agree with you there.

So many people judge Marillion on Kayleigh and Lavender and ignore everything that has gone before and after. They must have done ten albums with Steve Hogarth? Not heard all of them but what I know has been excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Kitchens of Distinction definitely. That band are never written about in the music press. Capsule is a great compilation. The intro to Sand On Fire is unreal.
    I've given up buying Uncut, Mojo etc as it's just a routine of the same old articles/covers on Led Zeppelin/Smiths/u2/dylan/lennon, people must be getting tired of it at this stage and you can get all the information you need on the internet anyway.

• Advertisement

I remember Kitchens Of Distinction playing here in 1989. Think it was in Trinity (Buttery). Love Is Hell just out. I didn't make it but did anyone go?

First two LPs rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ro_G

Tomohawk wrote:
    The Catchers - "Mute" was released by Setanta records in 1995, another underrated Irish band lost to the pages of history...

Dale put the catchers website back up there a wee while back.
    http://www.thecatchers.co.uk

Caught him in london about 3 weeks back with his new band The Sleeping Years, same voice, same great lyrics, was good to see him with a guitar in his hand again. even better to see him with a pint in his hand.
    http://www.myspace.com/thesleepingyears

Concur with Into Paradise, was listening to their last ever gig on tape a while back (which we recorded from the Rock Garden mixing desk). Great stuff.

picked up Chemicrazy by That Petrol Emotion in the local record store here in Texas a week or so back. It's dated badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Here, aren't you the Jellyfish fan? Back me up here... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I'm surprised Sonic Youth haven't been mentioned yet but I think they are rather under-rated and unheard of, especially considering they have been reasonably consistent with the quality of their albums since 1983 :eek:

Also I love The Organ (new band) who realeased their debut in 2004 in America but are only now seeing a little bit of recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭easy_as_easy

I think because bands are under rated they produced better and better music, to prove a point if nothing else.

My under-rated bands/artists would be:

The Wedding Present
    Sage Francis
    The Clash (I feel some people just write them off as another 'punk' band ala the sex pistols, when infact they piss all over the SP)
    Mogwai
    Supergrass

The Clash (I feel some people just write them off as another 'punk' band ala the sex pistols, when infact they piss all over the SP)

What do you think of people who consider Cut The Crap better than Combat Rock?

more

Cheap Trick
    The Cars
    His Name Is Alive
    Scott Walker
    Guided By Voices

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭easy_as_easy

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    What do you think of people who consider Cut The Crap better than Combat Rock?

well thats more Joe's album than a Clash album really, have to say Combat Rock is better IMO.

• Advertisement

blastman wrote:
    Here, aren't you the Jellyfish fan? Back me up here... :)

aye, i love them lads, particularly their trousers. "i want to stay home" ... classic.

Advertisement