Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminally underrated bands

Options
  • 08-04-2006 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Which bands do you just not understand how they never sold more than 15 records? Which bands ended up playing their stadium rock in the local? Which bands had everything needed for success, except the success?

I'm going to go with one international band, San Fran's finest; Love. And from Ireland, a close call between Kerbdog, Frank and Walters, the Hitchers, and Whipping Boy but Whipping Boy win out, record 2 solid class, great records that have probably only sold 12 albums outside of Ireland.

Well people, who are your "great ignored" bands?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

luxembourg

despite every journalist in the UK saying how brilliant they are, they remain unsigned

http://www.myspace.com/luxembourgband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The Grateful Dead.

Sure, they sold lots of records (particularly in the US) but are routinely ignored and written-off over here.

Others
    - Felt / Denim / Go Kart Mozart
    - XTC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

- (Backwards) Into Paradise (James Eadie's old band)
    - The Stars of Heaven (like an Irish REM only with better lyrics)

Felt / Denim as the man says...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I dunno if I consider the Grateful Dead under-rated, they are still pretty popular and American Beauty is often cited as a landmark album.

Tomohawk wrote:
    - (Backwards) Into Paradise (James Eadie's old band)
    - The Stars of Heaven (like an Irish REM only with better lyrics)

Two good choices.

I remember Into Paradise's Blue Light EP getting single of the week in the NME in June 1989. Dave Fanning played I Want You and Winter a lot that summer.

The second EP Change and the debut album Under The Water were great also. Churchtown, Down All The Days and For No One all had their moments too.

Remember seeing them in McGonagles with Whipping Boy and Candy Apple Red and having an argument on stage.

Stars Of Heaven - Speak Slowly is amazing. I used to study listening to it.

• Advertisement

I dunno if I consider the Grateful Dead under-rated, they are still pretty popular and American Beauty is often cited as a landmark album.

They're not popular in Ireland, never were. Look at The Grateful Dead section in a record shop and there's very little. American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are excellent albums but there's a lot more to them than just those immediate classics.

A lot of people find their live work far superior to the studio LPs. The live records [esp Dick's Picks series, 1969, 1971 and 1972 tours] are all excellent but the studio albums as collected on The Golden Road and Beyond Description box sets are very rewarding listens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Sack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Stump

"Charlton Heston put his vest on..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    They're not popular in Ireland, never were. Look at The Grateful Dead section in a record shop and there's very little.

was in tower the other day and they only had 4 beatles albums. im sure no one is gonna try and tell me that they are underrated.

the dead are still hugely popular in the us . i was at a sold out gig of theirs in San diego in 2004 . from what little of it i can remember they were rockin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Arcturus

They're quite possibly one of the most radically different, intelligent and original bands there are, but aside from a fairly underground following, they remain mostly unheard of.

Although in a world where a Crazy Frog 'song' would get so high in the charts, intelligent music isn't exactly going to be doing that well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

I don't think Eels get the as much kudos as they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Spoon and to a lesser extent Wilco

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

****, everything good is criminally underrated. Think about it, apart from a handful of acts, no decent artist is getting the coverage and respect they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

My choices:
    The Durutti Column... kind of the forgotten band from that whole early 80s Manchester scene that produced Joy Division, The Smiths etc. Excellent dreamlike guitar soundscapes and a foreshadowing of the whole 'post rock' thing over a decade before it became popular.

Also:
    The Chameleons - dark reverby rock, great tunes. Another early 1980s U.K. act.. fans of Interpol might be really into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

John2 wrote:
    ****, everything good is criminally underrated. Think about it, apart from a handful of acts, no decent artist is getting the coverage and respect they deserve.

I concur with that sentiment. Look at Ulver aswell, practically unheard of.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Wilco definetely in this country, although you do find the odd person with great taste...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

jellyfish

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Dead Can Dance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

The Catchers - "Mute" was released by Setanta records in 1995, another underrated Irish band lost to the pages of history...

The Triffids

Pale Saints

Jack Frost (one of the main guys from The Church and the singer from The Go-betweens, it doesn't get much better than that in terms of aussie alternative supergroups)

Air Miami

Age of Chance - brilliant late 1980s UK sample-based white hip-hop I suppose...

Also have to agree with Sack, and especially The Durutti Column! Check out "The Guitar and other Machines" as good intro to Vini Reilly and The Durutti Column.

Hope Of The States

anyone who has heard The Lost Riots knows that no argument is needed to support this statement

• Advertisement

Tomohawk wrote:
    Pale Saints

Great band - especially The Comforts of Madness and In Ribbons LPs. The 12"s were ace too. Their support slot to the Pixies in the National Stadium was deadly. They opened with Two Sick Sisters.
    Tomohawk wrote:
    Age of Chance - brilliant late 1980s UK sample-based white hip-hop I suppose...

Cool cover of Prince's Kiss!
    Tomohawk wrote:
    The Durutti Column! Check out "The Guitar and other Machines" as good intro to Vini Reilly and The Durutti Column.

Thirded.
    Remember hearing about them around the time Viva Hate was released so decided to take a chance and bought their album entitled LC in Virgin, Aston Quay. Was blown away by The Missing Boy.

So many good albums: Return Of The Durutti Column, Without Mercy, Another Setting, Vini Reilly, Obey The Time, Amigos Em Portugal, Someone Else's Party.

The new one, Keep Breathing is fantastic too.

My favourite band are The Fall and have been since 1985. I find it really annoying when I get talking to people who ask me 'What's your favourite band?'. And then responding 'Never heard of them' when I say The Fall.

Losers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Ride - 'Nowhere', 'Going Blank Again' early EP's
    AR Kane - '69', 'i'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    My favourite band are The Fall and have been since 1985. I find it really annoying when I get talking to people who ask me 'What's your favourite band?'. And then responding 'Never heard of them' when I say The Fall.

Losers.

The Fall, they're a hair metal band right? ;)

I've started working on filling up my Fall collection as I only had Grotesque for a long time. Got the newest one and Live at the Witch Trials. Plan on getting the complete Peel Sessions next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

Garret wrote:
    Hope Of The States

anyone who has heard The Lost Riots knows that no argument is needed to support this statement
    agreed,
    you should check this website out www.thehalfwayhome.com
    The band donated the b-sides and demos to the site to download. Pretty cool.

John2 wrote:
    The Fall, they're a hair metal band right? ;)

I've started working on filling up my Fall collection as I only had Grotesque for a long time. Got the newest one and Live at the Witch Trials. Plan on getting the complete Peel Sessions next.

Make sure you get the Sanctuary reissues of The Fall's albums. So far they have done

Live At The Witch Trials, Dragnet, Totale's Turns, Grotesque, Slates, Live In London, A Part Of America Therein, Hex Enduction Hour, In A Hole, Room To Live, Perverted By Language, The Infotainment Scan, Middle Class Revolt, Cerebral Caustic.

Sound has been remastered and there's good sleeve notes and bonus tracks.

The Peel Sessions box is amazing. Just £17.99 on amazon.co.uk now which is very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruaneg

hmm tough some good ones mentioned..
    always felt the Super Furry Animals deserved more acclaim..

Other bands that went under the radar; Shack, Witness, the English Beat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Garret wrote:
    Hope Of The States

So true!
    Its rarely I can keep coming back to an album again and again. I think they have split up now though unfortunately, one of the band members committed suicide shortly after their album was released.

funktastic wrote:
    Ride - 'Nowhere', 'Going Blank Again' early EP's
    AR Kane - '69', 'i'

69 is a fine album. Must give it a listen tomorrow.

The Ride box from a couple of years ago is cool. Best Of, Previously unreleased CD and a Reading 1992 gig [sadly missing two tracks]

So true!
    Its rarely I can keep coming back to an album again and again. I think they have split up now though unfortunately, one of the band members committed suicide shortly after their album was released.

Jimi hung himself just before the album was released.

Good news though, their Blood Meridean EP was released on limited edition vinyl last week to be followed by the full-length album, Left, in early June

The new stuff is supposed to be excellent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

From Ireland: Woodstar (amazing). From Brazil: Os Mutantes and from America: Smog, Randy Newman, wilco, Grandaddy and sparklehorse.

Rumour has it that Tom Waits is a nobody in the states, a disgrace if so.

Advertisement