Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Prison

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

As a Garda I am impressed with your attitude Shane and like all the other's here I wish you all the best on your return to normal life.
    That said I know just how hard it is to actually land yourself in prison in this country so I too wonder what it was you did.

I worked for a while in Limerick prison and it was a bit of a eye opener to see how the system worked. Some prisoners seemed to enjoy prison life as they are given responsibilities of their own and most take pride in how they do them - and receive recognition and a certain status from the prison officers in return.

I agree that the "slopping out" routine is inhumane and degrading - that to me was the worst aspect of the prisoner's daily routine.

I felt sorry for some who had been in there for a few years and were nearing their release date. You could sense their fear and nervousness about being released back into society - where possibly they would be less appreciated for what they could do and achieve.

Anyway best of luck with the job hunting Shane and also best wishes to your family who obviously look after you well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Interesting post Shane, you provide a great account of ure experience.

Wish u the best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dublinshane

I wasn't going to post on this again but it keeps being asked what I was charged with and as I said it was assault causing harm and criminal damage. I had been in court not so long before that for something similar but less serious. And yes i did think of the other person involved but he was not all innocent himself - but that's an old story now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys donot keep asking dublinshane what he was done for he has told us somany times.just leave him alone and let him live a normal life now.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tonymahoney

Shane
    Incredible post from you. Fair play for getting through it. Would make someone think twice about causing trouble and landing them selves in prison.

Just one question how many times were u befoe court before the judge decided a prison sentence is the only way {with total due respect to you} "to get your head together". Is the system as unjust as it is made out to be or were you given a fair crack of the whip to sort yourself out or go to prison for a wakeup call and by this I am not asking what crimes you committed before your final crime for commital, in case anyone is wondering,waiting to give out ot me for asking this.

Basically I am asking is "assault causing harm" immediate prison sentence???

Shane you don't have to answer if u don't want to,as I am still seriously impressed with your "new" attitude and how you got through prison. The very best of luck for the future and for Gods sake say out of trouble......the peaceful life if you can have it is so much more relaxing!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Reminds me of boarding school, TBH.

FFS, don't be an idiot. Being surrounded by rich boys and being stuck in prison have nothing in common.

DublinShane - thanks for posting. Your comments were very interesting, if a little sad. I appreciate your honesty.

As you can probably see from my sig, I am involved in recruitment. I might be able to help you get back on your feet (regarding work.) PM me if you need some cover letter or CV advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

DOLEMAN wrote:
    FFS, don't be an idiot. Being surrounded by rich boys and being stuck in prison have nothing in common.
    I see you're still expressing opinions on things you don't have a bogs notion about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

DOLEMAN wrote:

From people I know who have been to Boarding Schools, their not pleasant, and It's quiet like prison. Regimented times for doing like washing, eating, working, exercise. Sever Bullying and constant oppression of individuality. It's not like Harry potter you know. You've very little control over your own life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Seriously lads, boarding schools and prison comparisions. Get real, prisons are full of the types of people we avoid in the street, boarding schools are full of the types of people we purposely refuse to move out of the way for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Both would terrify me quite a bit, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Scop and DOLEMAN.
    I had to live for 8 years in a Cristian Brothers Boarding school. Let me tell you that those 8 years were just as bad as prison. I also had to spend 3 months as a guest of the authorities here in Japan while they got their act together and it was no cake walk either. Of the two, boarding school was by far and away the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 smileykate

Just read all your threads from before and after prision. Firstly just wana tell ya that im doing social care in college and looked at prision environments in particular. After looking at loads of information, I personally think prision is a place were only few really survive. I think its an evil place that has negative devistating effects on so many people...mostly drugs involved!! I actually cant believe in 2006 the majority of people think prision is the best judicial system. Of course Im only coming for a swat point of view and I dont have any experience of prision life. In saying that, I think your obviously one in a million. Fair play firstly for staying off drugs and secondly i truely hope you find a job you like and from reading your posts you seem like a lovely fella, Im sure when you meet the right girl that will be obvious to her too! Take care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Asiaprod wrote:
    Scop and DOLEMAN.
    I had to live for 8 years in a Cristian Brothers Boarding school. Let me tell you that those 8 years were just as bad as prison. I also had to spend 3 months as a guest of the authorities here in Japan while they got their act together and it was no cake walk either. Of the two, boarding school was by far and away the worst.

Well on the CBS thing me too and personally I cant accept that, my mate was in the and his stories put mine to shame

Look, I simply said that the description given reminds me of boarding school; and many of the aspects - the regimented lifestyle (when to rise, meal times, lights out), the lack of privacy, the lists of proscribed items, the strategy of keeping your head down so as to avoid certain groups (because you were essentially locked up with them), how the first few days are the worst after which you just get into a routine and the mind numbing day-in-day-out boredom - are all things that reminded me of boarding school.

That’s not to say it’s the same thing, or one is as bad as the other or even worse. It just reminded me of it - that’s all. Neither is it as an invitation to any tit with a chip on his shoulder to wade into the discussion either.

Look, I simply said that the description given reminds me of boarding school; and many of the aspects - the regimented lifestyle (when to rise, meal times, lights out), the lack of privacy, the lists of proscribed items, the strategy of keeping your head down so as to avoid certain groups (because you were essentially locked up with them), how the first few days are the worst after which you just get into a routine and the mind numbing day-in-day-out boredom - are all things that reminded me of boarding school.

That’s not to say it’s the same thing, or one is as bad as the other or even worse. It just reminded me of it - that’s all. Neither is it as an invitation to any tit with a chip on his shoulder to wade into the discussion either.

yes you are right, i was also in boarding school and i know where yu are coming from eg privacy and meal times etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭blueshirt

Good man, well done. Now maybe you can write a book, Papillion or Shawshank Redemption springs to mind (Stephen king wrote that). Or maybe, just maybe, go all airy fairy (pardon the pun) and write an epic poem, like Oscar Wilde. Oscar was a gas man, he once said “people who live within their means show a lack of imagination” anyway, best of luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭blueshirt

Asiaprod wrote:
    Scop and DOLEMAN.
    Good god, 8 years being tortured by these perverts. That order should be abolished and all ex members hunted down like animals. I really pity you.

Neither is it as an invitation to any tit with a chip on his shoulder to wade into the discussion either.

LOL. How ironic.

Anyway.

Best of luck Shane. I hope you are able to get your life back together and get on with things. The past is the past!

DOLEMAN wrote:
    LOL. How ironic.
    I think it's been pretty much demonstrated that you're the one that fits that description here so it's only ironic if you've not been paying attention.

I think it's been pretty much demonstrated that you're the one that fits that description here so it's only ironic if you've not been paying attention.

:rolleyes:

I'm sure Shane is delighted to hear you believe his time in prison and your time in boarding school should be compared.

This topic is not about you. If you really need to reply further, PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Stop bickering you two.

For me it reminds me of a relationship I had once but that's for another thread.

Good luck to you Shane, I missed your explanation of what you did previously, hopefully all will be well from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Now that you are out of Prison, it's a good time to really make the most of your life.

A good book to read is "Unlimited Power" by Anthony Robbins - it's quite motivational. I find the advice in it to be quite good, except the health info is a bit out of date, and I personally prefer the work of Patrick Holford for things to do with how to eat really well.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I must say dublinshane that that is quite one story you had to tell there. Good luck with your new life.

Patricide wrote:
    I must say dublinshane that that is quite one story you had to tell there. Good luck with your new life.

yeah you are right and shane goodluck woth life.and hope you get a job that you want so you can start back fresh

drdre wrote:
    yeah you are right and shane goodluck woth life.and hope you get a job that you want so you can start back fresh
    Indeed, good luck Shane in the future and apologies for my part in dragging this thread off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

While Shane is really an inspiration to us all and we all hope he has a good life from here on out lets not forget that not all people who go to prison come back out with such an enlightened attitude.

I (in my profession) come across many for whom prison and the legal / judicial system generally is only a minor inconvenience to be used and thwarted as much as possible. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Haven't done any proper interviews yet - got some forms from 1 place and they asked about a criminal record so didn't fill it in. Don't know how many checks they do. There's also the problem of the time that's missing from the last job - had to give that up a while before going to prison. Can't see them giving me a job if I tell the truth.

Just tell them you went travelling for 6 months or were looking after a sick relative. Best of luck to you hope it all goes well for you.

Advertisement