Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Prison

Options
  • 30-03-2006 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I posted on here last year looking for advice about going to prison. Just to let you know I ended up getting a 10 month sentence with 6 months suspended. Being in prison was the worst time of my life but just wanted to let anybody who was interested know that it is all behind me now. I appreciate the advice from before and those of you that wanted to see me go to prison got your way.

I have every reason now not to get into trouble as I would have another six months to serve from the suspended sentence but I have no plans to end up in that situation.

I have to say that I wouldn’t be as scared as I was before about going to prison – once the first days are over you kind of settle into a routine that’s much different from every day life but it wasn’t as bad as I feared.

I’m doing my best to get my life back on track again but it isn’t easy with all the bad stuff that goes with being in prison.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

I remember you asking for advice but can't remember what it was you done but anyway all the best in getting your stuff together, its not the end of the world at all

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Aye, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭N90user

I saw your thread ages ago, glad your alove and well :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Good luck to you.

You should have started a blog when you were locked up,I am sure it would make interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

So what did you do?

Oh and what was the first thing you done when you got out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Dub13 wrote:
    Good luck to you.

You should have started a blog when you were locked up,I am sure it would make interesting reading.

What on earth makes you think he would have net access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

LiouVille wrote:

A diary would have been interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

LiouVille wrote:
    It was an Irish Prison

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

LiouVille wrote:

I should have said if he had a diary of his time inside he could now upload it to a blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

zabbo wrote:
    It was an Irish Prison

and your point? Irish prisons allow all inmates net access? Get real.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

*Whoosh* as the sarcasm goes over LiouVille's head :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dublinshane

zabbo wrote:
    So what did you do?

Assault and Criminal Damage - not proud of any of it but it's behind me now.

Oh and what was the first thing you done when you got out?

I got out early in the morning so first thing was to go and have breakfast with my brother who picked me up - didn't want anybody else there when I got out. Then went home to the family who were all there - lost my girlfriend over this but can't really blame her. Had a McDonald's for lunch - really enjoyed taht although I know it is pretty crap. later on called to see a few mates - just hung about really and then went to the pub later on. I was convinced that everybody was looking at me or talking about me there but manged to get through it OK. Headed home early enough. Watched a DVd and then bed - all ordinary enough but great when you haven't been able to do this things for months. Best bit was going to bed when I liked, not getting locked up for the night and getting a good night's sleep. Felt excellent waking up the next morning and not looking at a cell door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Fair play to ya.. don't mind the ppl in the pub you were probably just being a bit paranoid.. and stay outta trouble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 oblian

all the best in gettin it back together man

Repli wrote:
    Fair play to ya.. don't mind the ppl in the pub you were probably just being a bit paranoid.. and stay outta trouble!

That's the plan. Everybody is saying I'm paranoid but I have got some smart arse comments but that's probably to be expected. Got out of the habit of computers and the net while away but things are getting back to normal.

Anybody who thinks prison is a holiday camp is wrong - it's unnatural been locked at least 16 hours a day and being told what you can do, where you can go and when you can do it, having to piss in a pot at night, being away from your family and friends, not knowing who's out to cause trouble and whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Well you seem to have come out the other side a wiser man.
    That in itself is a very good thing.
    Good luck with the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

Hi Shane,

I remember your posts from before you went in to prison well and I could really relate to the kind of questions you were asking and could sympathise with your situation.

I remember you were worried about really practical things - what would the shower situation be like - what sort of people were you likely to run into - what's the story with cigarettes, with drugs - how would the wardens treat you - would you share a cell and so on. Now that you're out, how would you say those concerns panned out? Were those issues relevant or did you find that they just went out the window and you had other things to worry about?

I also remember loads of people advising you to keep your head down and use your time usefully, to study or whatever. How did that aspect of it go?

I'm glad for you that you got through it ok, and best of luck with getting on with your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

hey shane, glad to see you didn't have to hard a time bud, I'm gonna repost the questions you asked in your first thread here and maybe you could awnser them for people that find themselves in your situation. Should help somebody.

What is it like at first when you go in?
    Do you usually go to prison on your own or do they take you in in groups?
    Are all the scenes of getting shouted at and strip searched and hassled right?
    How do the prison officers act towards you?
    Are they looking for you to slip up and break rules or are they reasonable?
    What can you bring in with you?
    Which prison could I end up in (I’m 25 and from Dublin)?
    How do the other prisoners generally treat you – never been in prison before?
    Can you go to prison yourself are you always taken directly from court?
    Do you normally get a cell on your own or how many people do you have to share with?
    Is it likely that you have to slop out – that seems pretty bad and I would hate that?
    Are you allowed a TV and radio?
    How bad is it with regard to people trying to touch you up or whatever or is that exaggerated on TV – certainly hope it is?
    What happens if you get into trouble in prison and what can they do to you?
    Are you allowed have money to buy things like cigarettes or do you get an allowance?
    Is there a limit on the money you can have each week. I would spend €45 a week just on smokes at the moment without anything else – are you allowed have that much?
    Do you have to wear prison clothes or can you bring in your own?
    How often do you get a chance to shower and wash properly and do you do this on your own?
    How much violence and bullying actually goes on and do the prison officers try to get involved?
    Is the food alright?
    How often can you get visitors and do you see them one to one or are there glass dividers or whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Hi Shane,

Glad to hear you got out. Was going to put a topic to see if anyone has heard from you. Just wondering did you spend much time in the Joy or did they transfer you down the Midlands? I work in the Joy and was going to keep an eye out for you but of course did'nt know your surname.

Regards,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Hi Shane, glad you out and glad you ok.
    I hope you get on the right track now and make the most of your life. It seems like you have learnt your lesson and done your time and hopefully you can get on with things now.

Ps. What was it like in prison? Which prison where u in? I hope you post again, especially would like to see your answers to (your previous questions) Slipss post.

Cheers :)

• Advertisement

I will post back with some more answers on the questions later. Some things I'll keep to myself but other things nmight be useful for anybody else in a similar situation.

bohsboy - Don't know if I came across you in the Joy. As you might guess I'm using a middle name on this site and am happy with that. didn't get sent to the midlnads though.

Have to say that most of the guards were OK - once you didn't give any trouble they seemed fair enough - a few liked to show who was boss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

rsta wrote:
    ...What was it like in prison? ...especially would like to see your answers to (your previous questions)

Same here.

Hope things work out for you now you are out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

hey man,

got a bit of a shock when I saw your thread - was wondering where you were a while ago. the judge must have been some way impressed if he suspended 6 months.

glad you got through it, you could even start your book now. :)

peadar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

its great to hear you are out now. and hope you stay out of trouble.may i ask what you did? as i didnot read the main thread.
    thanks and good luck in life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Hey Shane,

Glad you are out and hope prison wasnt too tough.

Hope adjusting back to normal life goes ok.

Good luck to ya and thanks for coming back and telling what happened.

Cheers - G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Man! I've got to be honest, I didn't actually think you'd get given time!

well, may it be the turning point in your life and good luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well done lad, you have paid your debt to society. Now its the time for you to turn your life around. Wish you the best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Shane, I wish you the very best of luck for your future and really hope that things go well.

One question please. When inside did you receive any ACTIVE training or rehabilitation as distinct from having things available to you on a PASSIVE basis ?

Put another way, do you feel that the regime did anything helpful to you during your time in prison ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 crazydave

would you like to tell us what you went to prison for?You keep on avoiding the question.You cant expect good wishes and sympathy without telling us what landed you in jail in the first place

Advertisement