Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please don't laugh but this is serious, got to do with police

Options
  • 28-03-2006 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Warning this may seem like a petty thing but it's not to me and you'll think that my friend is an ***hole which he is, I know anyway so here it is:

I just found out a """"""""""""friend"""""""""""""" and his friends used to use MY name and address when caught drunk in public underage (well they're over age now)! :mad: , if it's true, which, knowing him it might, then do I have like a record or something that will stop me getting jobs and going abroad and that?! i thought when your name is taken or something you get contacted or does a name taken not matter?

And while i'm on this topic what is a criminal record and when does it stop you getting J1 visas and jobs and all?

And about my friend should i report him. Trust me he is not winding me up, i'm am in no way his friend anymore.
    Okay this seems petty and stupid, well the friend thing i not i will sort him out but just looking at other personal issues they seem petty but now I know that to them they're not so thanks.
    And also due to the area i live in where bad things have been happening of late, police frequently ask for your name and address (they don't take it down) even early in the evening. Why do they do this? this is isn't recorded.

NOTE: Sorry if this posted twice, I clicked submit and it didn't appear so now I'm submitting again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

haha, friends a leged.

No of course you wont get into any trouble. To get a criminal record you have to end up in court. Garda cant just hand out criminal records.

Getting your name taken means nothing. Reporting? Christ, the cops would laugh you out of the station if you went up and actually complained about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You'll be fine, dont worry too much about it. Choose your friends more wisely next time though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I dont think that anybody ever in the history of the universe has given their real name to the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Actually that sounds quite funny. OP the gardai have better things to do like handing out speeding tickets than listen to your potential complaint. Let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

You've really no need to worry OP! A Criminal record involves a bit more than this!! You have to be convicted and sentenced for a crime on a court of law, and this would be on your record always. AFAIK however, even at this, the system takes into account the nature of your crime.

Don't be so hard on your mate either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Scared wrote:
    I just found out a """"""""""""friend"""""""""""""" and his friends used to use MY name and address when caught drunk in public underage (well they're over age now)! :mad: , if it's true, which, knowing him it might, then do I have like a record or something that will stop me getting jobs and going abroad and that?! i thought when your name is taken or something you get contacted or does a name taken not matter?

I wouldn't worry about it at all. As your friend was underage, the most the guard would have done would have been to report the incident to the Juvenile Liason Office. The JLO destroy all your records when you turn 19.

As you didn't receive a visit from a garda JLO officer, I doubt the uniformed guard did anything except write your name in his little black book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Go out and make it up with your friend. He sounds like a ledgend.

Lighten up old boy, you are coming across wound up tighter that a... ...a tight thing wound up. You'll be grand. The cops couldn't give a fiddlers; that being said - your name could now be on CIA watch-lists...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

There's no need for the OP to be scared but he has every right to be annoyed. It it happened to me I know I'd certainly be pissed off and would definitely find some way (non-violent of course) to fix the so-called friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you really wanted to you could go down to the local garda station as to speak to the JLO and bring your passport and proof adress and explain who you are and that you have heard someone is using your name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

ƒ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So you're clear then. If all this happened when you were underage and you parents were never called on the matter, the probably did nothing serious to begin with.

Failing that, put up some fake call-guy or call-girl cards with his mobile on it in the George.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Nah, you're grand.
    As far as I'm aware you need two incidents for it to go on your passport, etc.
    I got one there a while ago but I got it cancelled cause my friend's Dad's a cop. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It usually takes 4 to 5 years for the guards to contact you in relation to the crimes you talk about OP.

Simular situation to you, my friend got 6 months in the Joy, but got off on a technicality because his lawers argued he was drinking snapple out of a Bulmers can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Friend sounds more of a fool than a legend tbh.

If he wasn't going to give his own name then he should have perhaps just given a fake one altogether (or at least one that has no way of getting back to him) rather than a real friends.

Now all he has now is an ex-friend who'll surely pass him straight along to the gardai anyway if ever needs be.

"Bill .... Carr, King Road Ipswich" yer only man! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭N90user

haha, friends a leged.

Yet you can't even spell 'ledge'. Anyway, if nothing has happened you should be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jello wrote:
    As far as I'm aware you need two incidents for it to go on your passport, etc.
    Any number of such "incidents" would be irrelevant. You cannot have any endorsements or be otherwise tagged with any kind of "criminal", "miscreant", etc label without going to court and being convicted of a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

While we're on the topic, I've been arrested 4 times and have been stopped and questioned by the guards countless times, also been brought home 2 - 3 times. JLO'd once or twice aswell. The last time I got arrested was when I was 17 for a crime that wasn't too serious but I appeared in court when I was 18, does anyone have an idea if I have a criminal record or not?

Thanks...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I dont think that anybody ever in the history of the universe has given their real name to the Gardaí.

i have, am i an exception to the universe?

Tbh OP i doubt anything will happen. Do you have any proof that you were somewhere when it occured?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Exon wrote:
    While we're on the topic, I've been arrested 4 times and have been stopped and questioned by the guards countless times, also been brought home 2 - 3 times. JLO'd once or twice aswell. The last time I got arrested was when I was 17 for a crime that wasn't too serious but I appeared in court when I was 18, does anyone have an idea if I have a criminal record or not?

Thanks...
    Yes, Game over mannnnn.

(+ get some sense :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Exon wrote:
    ....The last time I got arrested was when I was 17 for a crime that wasn't too serious but I appeared in court when I was 18, does anyone have an idea if I have a criminal record or not?

Thanks...

Did you appear in Juvenille court or normal court ?
    If it was a grown up court and you were convicted then YES you would have a criminal record (i.e. there would be a record of a criminal conviction against you).
    Not sure about Juvenille court, but ring your local garda station to find out (sounds like you're on first name terms with them anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

kjt wrote:
    Yes, Game over mannnnn.

(+ get some sense :P)

I actually don't think I have a criminal record mannnnn. :)

Santa Claus, I appeared in the normal court but they cleared the court for my hearing.

By the way, only one or two guards know my first name, most guards don't even know my face, it was ages ago when I was in trouble.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Exon wrote:
    Santa Claus, I appeared in the normal court but they cleared the court for my hearing.
    All JLO records get wiped on your 19th birthday. Current JLO records are never included as part of any state vetting procedure.

But you had a 'grown-up' court case - if you were convicted then you do have a criminal-record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Jeez, how much quick-thinking does it take to switch between the Irish and English version of your firstname and use your mother's maiden name as a surname?

Your friend wasn't very bright.

You'll be grand though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

if your friend did that you should report it. it could come back and hit you at some stage. giving false information knowingly to a guard is a serious offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It is something we used to do when we were younger. While walking over the border from Lifford to Strabane, the RUC always stopped us. The usual questions followed like what is your name, where are you going to and where are you coming from? (Coming from Lifford and going to Strabane never seemed specific enough for them). When asked my name, I gave the name of a mate who was standing beside me at the time. The look of panic on his face was well worth it. He then had a few seconds to make up a name and it never occurred to him to use mine. Sometimes there would have been four or five of us and the RUC might have got one correct name. OP, you have nothing to worry about, bearing in mind that you have never been taken to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Exon wrote:

You appeared in a normal court, if you were convicted of the charges against you then YES you do have a criminal record !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

OP, whilst I see the funny side of this I don't think it will be funny if it bites you at some future date.

As it stands - and as others have posted - you have no "record" in the sense that you have no convictions.

However, I wonder if records of arrests or even interviews in the course of "assisting Gardai with their enquiries" do not wind their way somewhere in to that PULSE or other system. If so, could you be said to have a "record" in the sense of being in the garda files and classified as the right material to be regarded as a suspect for some future event ?

Imagine that your friend who gave your name had actually been arrested on suspicion of committing offence "X" in a particular area. No proceedings issue and the matter lies dormant. Five years later a similar offence occurs. Are you now in any kind of Garda intelligence record and a good suspect for a " tug " for interview about nothing to do with you ?

If I was in your position I would be making strenuous efforts to get this straightened even if it means that your "friend" is asked to make a statement to confirm the position for the record thus leaving you in the clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

they didnt interview him, or arrest him. they just took his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Lindaloo

I don't think his friend is a legend, I'd be freaked out too. If it was worrying me I'd ring the confidential line and ask them but if it wasn't worrying me I'd just let it go and drift from the friend.

Don't find it funny at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I am getting a bit weary of the Gardai being regarded as fools and incompetents. They are far more responsible and cautious about doing things right than recent events would lead people to believe.

Of course when yougsters give their names it is always suspected that they may not be telling the truth.

If any formal action is contemplated however the normal course of action is to first verify the name and address beyond doubt - not that hard to do (with native Irish settled people at least) a bit more tricky with the travelling community and non-nationals - but still possible.

Sometimes the nature of the mis-deed does not warrant all this effort - which is what I suspect was the case here.:)

Advertisement