Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i right to be mad?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

dont go near your savings for a party...thats crazy

Are You trying to be smart?????

Why should i- that money is for emergencies ok

If your not trying to be smart- sorry- i wasnt sure

Just sick of people telling me how I should Spend my money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I will just agree with the general consensus and say this fella is an awful twat. Not really a friend but a really ignorant individual who you have had the unfortunate luck to come across and someone who I would imagine considers you as some sort of friend. I feel sorry for you really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Tell your friend that now you don't want to go because of his friend's nasty comments. Land him in the sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Meet them after the meal for drinks. I have a friend who is always arranging birthday celebrations that we all have to pay for, really bugs me, very selfish. If people are inviting you for their birthday meal they should pay for it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I wouldn't go out for the party at all. I wouldn't give you ex the satisfaction to be honest.

Depending on what the birthday boy is like I would have him over to dinner with a few 'select' friends for a birthday dinner in his honour at some stage. You'll cook and people usually bring a bottle or two with them when they are going out to dinner in someones house so that covers a large proportion of the drinks question.

This can be done with or without the purchase of a birthday gift depending on what you can afford.

I hope for your sake that your work situation improves - good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Well he is in school so....yes.

LundiMardi..when its a choice between going to a party and FOOD for the week then you'll have a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

In terms of splitting the bill - unless you stay so sober you're happy to take the restaurant receipt and do the sums, you may find that it's very difficult to establish who's got to pay for what - especially if there's a large bunch of you.

The idea cited earlier - that you offer to be out for a drink later on but skip the meal - is a good one.

Oh - and as for your ex-boyfriend taking a pop at you about money - there are two important letters in that description. ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

pepper wrote:
    Are You trying to be smart?????

Why should i- that money is for emergencies ok

If your not trying to be smart- sorry- i wasnt sure

Just sick of people telling me how I should Spend my money

wasnt trying to be smart at all. It just seemed like they were trying to pressure you into digging into your savings....no offence intended

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

If the birthday boy understands that you can't make it to dinner then everyone else should understand as well.

As for going to dinner, buying a present and buying drinks, are you nuts?!?!?!?! My mates and I haven't done birthday presents (except for maybe chucking a fiver in each and buying something small) since we were in our mid teens.

Take your mate out for a birthday pint at some other time and to hell with anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭oulu

I understand why he is your ex the asshole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Enii wrote:
    Meet them after the meal for drinks. I have a friend who is always arranging birthday celebrations that we all have to pay for, really bugs me, very selfish. If people are inviting you for their birthday meal they should pay for it themselves.

So what youre saying is that people shouldnt have a birthday meal with their friends unless they can afford to pay for everyone they invite?? Or did i pick that up wrong?...
    I hope that i did.

The ex was definately wrong to put pressure on you like that, if you dont have the money to spend, thats understandable and he should accept that, regardless of whether hes in a different situation or not!
    Birthday boy seemed to understand, the other guy is an idiot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Enii wrote:
    Theres a definite middle ground. I've got some friends who always go out as a group for birthday meals with no major pressure on someone who is broke to turn up. It's also extremely selfish for someone to claim that a friend cannot go out for a birthday meal without forking out a few hundred quid just to save face for someone who doesn't feel comfortable not turning up. The same people would be indignant if a meal took place without them being invited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭le-dub

I can understand from your point of view, but why not ship the meal and meet up with them in the pub after for drinks. The end of the day its your mates birthday and he just wants to celebrate with friends.

I bet when your birthday comes around this will come back and byte you lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Now bear in mind this guy brings home 450 a week
    get back with him he's minted,;)

I would suggest heading out for beers after the meal, that way you save face, with your moany ex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Sony

Just read through the thread

OP that sad little ex of yours really is exactly that...who does he think he is talking to you in that way?? he sounds so spineless and pathetic picking on you ...surely hes bitter cause you dumped him at some point?? thatd put my mind at ease a little to know that at least

Im sure your birthday friend wont mind at all once you explain it to him-i doesnt sound like something that a bloke would take to heart

by the way Im not being smart and this is off the point a bit but is 450 a week take home enough to be considered minted? I thought that'd be pretty much average

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Gil_Dub wrote:
    I'm not usually one to suggest this sort of thing but if I were you I'd consider forwarding that text message to the birthday boy. That'll sort it. Who needs friends like that? Why would you bother having anything to do with someone who tries making you feel bad about yourself?

He's being a right brat from the look of things and deserves a little bitch slap.

Gil

My mind is screaming NO at this!!! Your ex is being a dickhead and it may have been inconsiderate for the birthday boy to not give more notice but i really think that if you go forwarding these messages to him it will just get turned into a bigger drama than it is already, with him showing someone else and everyone talking about it and then there'll be war!!!! And it sounds to me like you really dont need that sort of hassle!

tell your ex to stuff it! get your mate a pressie and arrange to meet him for a drink some other night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

Hes an ass!
    Don't let moiney stop you having fun!
    Pop out for a drink after the meal to save cash n handmake card or pick up cheap one!
    Birthday boy would much rather your company for one drink than a pressie!

Advertisement