Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Road traffic chaos

Options
  • 20-03-2006 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭

anyone see the caos on the rock road today, beside blackrock college, i had to turn around and forget my trip to town . Aparently this is ongoing for 12 months. Where are the councillors that allowed this insanity ? One lane at rush hour at this main link into city centre and port . unbelievable . Cant believe it was so badly advertised, and that it is taking so long. Pity all the poor motorists on there way out of town now:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

What are the plans for the road? I remember seeing a nice animated sign there for the past month, however they had it positioned in a place where nobody could read it due to the traffic moving. I think I will have to be considering an N11/M50 route in the future.

Possibly something insane like a buslane is going to be built permanently limiting an already busy two lane road to one. A better option would have been a new bus/cycle lane down along the coast which wouldn't bother anyone, it could link up at East Wall somewhere and then onto Pearse Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

No excuses on this one. It was well advertised in the national press and local/national radio. I had heard/read all about it even though I don't use it or live in the area. You need to inform yourself better!!

What's wrong with a bus lane? The Stillorgan QBC has demonstrated that the addition of a bus lane actually increases the commuter capacity of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

BrianD wrote:
    No excuses on this one. It was well advertised in the national press and local/national radio. I had heard/read all about it even though I don't use it or live in the area. You need to inform yourself better!!

What's wrong with a bus lane? The Stillorgan QBC has demonstrated that the addition of a bus lane actually increases the commuter capacity of the road.

Whining is a very Irish thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Moved to Commuting/Transport.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Its a rebuild to replace the water main and to sort out the flooding problem

I find it very strange passing by the Rock Rd each day to see a queue of traffic, get the train contrary to popular belief there are seats in the rush hour on the DART particularly in the evening. I see plenty of buses with seats as well. Plently of people could use public transport making life easier

Far to many SUVs with lazy kids heading to Blackrock College are one of the real problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

MarkoP11 wrote:
    Far to many SUVs with lazy kids heading to Blackrock College are one of the real problems

Yeh dhats rite. Whenever it rains like an oi don't want to cycle like and ruin my hur sort of thing goin to 'Rock oi take dhe folks SUV to skool like. Were not allowed to drive in the skool like so we pork our folks cars all over the place like.....

Passed by the Tara Towers around lunchtime and it was alright.

Passed by again around 17:00 and it was mayhem. Between Tara Towers and the DART station they have closed off the seaward side of the road. There is only one half of the road width now available. There is now only one lane each way between these points.

There were two motorcycle Gardai controlling traffic, one at Tara Towers and one at the DART station. There are no right turns every bloody where.

This involves waterworks, cable works, road widening and straightening and so on. The work is only starting here and will be heading towards Blackrock.

Probably best seriously avoided at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

love to miss it, but unfortunatly at times need to use this stretch for work at peak times. My cynicism wonders is the upgrade connected to Elm Park development , upgrading the undergrounf infrastructure !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    What are the plans for the road? I remember seeing a nice animated sign there for the past month, however they had it positioned in a place where nobody could read it due to the traffic moving. I think I will have to be considering an N11/M50 route in the future.

Possibly something insane like a buslane is going to be built permanently limiting an already busy two lane road to one. A better option would have been a new bus/cycle lane down along the coast which wouldn't bother anyone, it could link up at East Wall somewhere and then onto Pearse Street.

A bus lane on the rock road is an excellent idea, after a year of single lane from the roadworks car users will be used to the lower capacity anyway.

It has been a horiffic bottleneck for years, all the bus routes using are desperately slow in the peaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Please no bus lane - on this 2 lane road into city centre, the merrion gates cause eneogh chaos !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

bax wrote:
    Please no bus lane - on this 2 lane road into city centre, the merrion gates cause eneogh chaos !

Get the bus instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

bax wrote:

Why? It's not like they are going to make the road bus-only.

By the way, are you in the PDs? Might think if joining if not...
    http://www.progressivedemocrats.ie/council_news/27/

monument wrote:
    By the way, are you in the PDs? Might think if joining if not...
    http://www.progressivedemocrats.ie/council_news/27/

He does make the excellent point of it being next to the DART. I generally use the 7/45 (saves me a five minute walk) while I like those buses they could easily be re-routed to serve people who aren't served by Ireland's highest capacity mass transit system.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Anyone hear the news this evening where a council official was being interviewed about the changes over the phone? He was interrupted, what sounded like mid interview, by an angry visiting commuter who just spent 3 hours stuck in the traffic and dropped by to complain. Classic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

marko stop slagging blackrock college students.i was one of them and it was a great school.anyway we will leave that aside.

the rock road roadworks was well advertised everywhere but it will cause alot of problems.but its nothing new, most of our roads are like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

paulm17781 wrote:
    He does make the excellent point of it being next to the DART. I generally use the 7/45 (saves me a five minute walk) while I like those buses they could easily be re-routed to serve people who aren't served by Ireland's highest capacity mass transit system.

re-route them where?? - if they're going into town they have to take either the rock road or the stillorgan road and the latter is already very well served by buses.

I've always thought that the rock\merrion rd would be a good candidate for being a "tidal" road - ie in the morning it could be 3 lanes in and 1 out with the reverse in the evening.

loyatemu wrote:
    re-route them where??

Anywhere that isn't served by DART or Luas. There are more than two roads in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭kiss103

Live in booterstown and this is not welcome , it's great for all those to say use the bus / dart , for some this is not an option anyway public transport is dire , i have now lost my parking space , from a 20 mins commute last week to a 2 hr commute on monday night, there is no way these asses should be allowed to do this interruption that is not at all neccessary ,

Also

kiss103 wrote:
    Live in booterstown and this is not welcome , it's great for all those to say use the bus / dart , for some this is not an option anyway public transport is dire

Not an option or not a desireable option? Very different things.

kiss103 wrote:
    for some this is not an option anyway public transport is dire
    So why do 55%+ of the people on that corridor use public transport?

• Advertisement

Its possibly one of the best served corridors in the city, there are 9 trains serving Blackrock northbound between 8 and 9am, 8 from Booterstown.

The 5, 7, 7a, 7x, 8 and 45 buses serve the Rock Road

Strangely as I passed by at 8:40 this morning there was little traffic, people got the hint, the DART coach I was in had no more than 15 people standing, space for 100 more if pushed. The buses are not terribly busy, the option is open sure some can't use public transport but its a give and take those who can will reduce the traffic on those who can't

MarkoP11 wrote:
    Strangely as I passed by at 8:40 this morning there was little traffic, people got the hint, the DART coach I was in had no more than 15 people standing, space for 100 more if pushed. The buses are not terribly busy,

The 7/45 is busy at that time (going away from town). There is very little traffic but serious delays in Booterstown. The bus I get to work every day is now making me late. I think time to shift to the DART, I saw two pass me while I was stuck in traffic today.

Wednesday morning not a car to be seen from Willow Park entrance the whole way to the lights at Booterstown, very very spooky

Thursday the queue was the whole way back to Blackrock, something very strange.

Once again train on time, not more than 15 people standing in my coach, those who can should use public transport it makes a difference for everyone, there is a high quailty public transport system in place and people still sit in their cars even in horrible traffic

MarkoP11 wrote:
    Wednesday morning not a car to be seen from Willow Park entrance the whole way to the lights at Booterstown, very very spooky

Thursday the queue was the whole way back to Blackrock, something very strange.

I havn't been looking at that direction. Since Tuesday there has been a tailback to the Merrion gates. Little traffic before then, I suspect it is cars comming off the Strand road are causing it. Either way seeing two DARTs pass my bus has made me realise I should just get the DART.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

The DART seems to be everyones solution to this problem. Its not always practical for people.

Horrendous delay for me this morning. It appears that DARTs don't work properly when its raining.

As someone who regularly has to drive for work purposes, this Rock Road development is awful. As for getting to the airport if I need to fly anywhere, I shudder to think how long that would now take from Sandycove, either in a taxi or in my own car. 12 months of this, and I'll be looking for another job or another country.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Scottish wrote:
    Horrendous delay for me this morning. It appears that DARTs don't work properly when its raining.

It’s even worse when it rains and there are leafs on the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭GusherING

I live along the Rock Road, so anytime I exit my road, I have to go left. What once was a 5 min journey into Blackrock takes 20 to complete. I can't wait to see what they do when they dig up the side of the road where my estate is!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WICKL0W

Why do they not make it one lane way further back. The delays are due to cars going from 2 to 1 lane. If everyone was in a single lane, this would not be an issue. I suppose no matter how far you went back there would always be one who will keep going as far as possible and then suddenly pull in - usually in front of another car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Ttime and time again the traffic engineers are using the infrastructure of this city as a weapon against its citizens.

As demoed by the chaos created on the Rock Rd The QBC is a traffic disaster waiting to happen. It is deeply flawed and will worsen the congestion on Dublin's southside rather than improve it.

People need to use cars on this road

Roll on the election to sort out the idiots who sanctioned a QBC along Rock Rd

Bee

Advertisement