Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats life at ul like??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

dont you be interrupting my cataract impaired view of the past!
    young scallywags these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Scruff wrote:
    When i was there in the time of Yore it was the best sustained craic for 4 years that i've ever had.
    Though now, apparently, students are more worried about their hair, clothes etc instead of just getting drunk and having a laugh.
    I'd concur. Back in the halcyon days of the mid nineties UL were a blast. We didn't have much then, one bar, internet just invented, and the only hot beverages available in the canteen were Tea and Coffee. None of your gay Latte/Cappucino/Mocha McGubbins for us thank-you-very-much...if you want that sort of carry-on, you had to go to the Allegro. :D

Seriously - our needs then were as they are now. Decent odds on passing exams and something to do when you weren't studying. The raft of clubs and societies there gave you no excuse not to do *something*. Even if it was just attempting to further the Debating Unions war with China (something to do with the price of plastic forks in the Wok King, if memory serves)...

I've been down since, and it's a helluva lot more high-tech. But still the same, there's more money for societies than there ever was before and more opportunites for people to start more. You only get out of it what you put in (sorry - cliche police at the door, I know)...and as you're putting in plenty in terms of capitation/taxes/whatever, you might as well get as much out...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Rozie wrote:
    THere's essentially nothing unless you like getting pissed in a rather jock-ish bar(The Stables). There are two pubs on Campus but one is the Sports Bar, which is obviously even wrose for jockiness.

ah the Stables -brings back happy memories (and lost memories), the chicken a la king, Donal, danish pastries rather than lectures, the "black tap"...

Of course you could always go to the Hurlers or across the Black Bridge...

There's little else to do. It's very hard to meet new people who share your interests, though that could be because the people here aren't terribly interesting. Nobody really stands out in a crowd either.

Must have changed terribly - 15 years later I still meetup with friends I made in UL. I remember plenty of folks who stood out - Tom Pius anyone ? Or Ber ? [/quote]
    There's nothing to do. If you're in any way artsy or looking to have an actual fulfilling social experience, don't come here. Please don't make the same mistake I did. There really isn't anything here right now, people feel such a need to defend their college that they don't try to see how other people might hate it. You won't find a lot of people here that will say that, but it's not representitive of the general consesus.

Has all changed so utterly ? UL used have a thriving arts scene despite the fact that it was primarily a business/techie place and Humanities students were only tolerated...
    Limerick's a scammy place in general. Try going down to Cork, or maybe up to Galway, which ever is nearest.

Indeed. You've certainly benefitted from Cardinal Newmans idea of a university education - tolerance, openness, ability to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Indeed. Ber Angley. A legend in his own Laundrey Basket...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Indeed. Ber Angley. A legend in his own Laundrey Basket...

I lived with Ber for a year, quite weird but a nice guy all the same. He reminds me of Bilbo Baggins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

THere's essentially nothing unless you like getting pissed in a rather jock-ish bar(The Stables). There are two pubs on Campus but one is the Sports Bar, which is obviously even wrose for jockiness.

There's little else to do. It's very hard to meet new people who share your interests, though that could be because the people here aren't terribly interesting. Nobody really stands out in a crowd either.

There's nothing to do. If you're in any way artsy or looking to have an actual fulfilling social experience, don't come here. Please don't make the same mistake I did. There really isn't anything here right now, people feel such a need to defend their college that they don't try to see how other people might hate it. You won't find a lot of people here that will say that, but it's not representitive of the general consesus.

Limerick's a scammy place in general. Try going down to Cork, or maybe up to Galway, which ever is nearest.

i was in UL last year and i would agree with some of rozies sentiment, but my own attitude was c'est la vie, and i had a great time and made friends with peeps i never taught i would.limerick in general to someone say from Dublin or london (or even the mega metropolis that is Cork) is a pretty dull place for arts and the like. btw in the context of what she said in this thread her banning is extremely harsh,but i dont know what she has said in other threads,maybe a case of notoriety working against rozie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Im after getting my confirmation for Thomond today, and its a relief knowing your all having a good time. Hopefully I will be starting Computer Systems in September. Ive visited friends in UL once and they seem to having a mad time.. exciting times..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

W00t! more cs folk for UL.

Thomond is a wee bit aweh from the college but very nice from what I've been told.

Just to add to this again with my own opinions ::

I'm not the greatest for going out and clubbing and all the young_folks malarky. Groody suits me to the ground really. Stables can be fine at times but meh really. Groody ftw.
    For shame the newer folk didn't get to sample the Scholars(rip)

Have no real reason to hang around college when classes finish cos we were able to get digiweb metro in college court.

Oodles of accomodation as there's always a number of courses on co_op at any time so places free up.

Clubs and Societies run a join day sometime at the start of the year. Most have websites hosted by the comp soc, skynet so even if ya don't join that day, you can get contact details to do so whenever suits.
    There is something to cater for everyone really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Hi exiot,

There's a lot of Comp Sys people on this forum so if youv'e got any questions about the course just post them up or give either me, kaimera or Peteee a PM and we'll try and help you out. UL is a pretty good college and there's no shortage of places to go out. E.g. Groody and the Stables and there's also plenty of places in town.

Cheers
    Rory

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Ah...a fresh lamb to the Comp Sys slaughter!

Only j/k :D

As Rory said, if yer ever stuck give us a PM and we'll try and sort ya out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Rozie wrote:

well judging by this piece of rubbish, its no wonder you find it hard to make friends. if you made a mistake, then do us all a favour and drop out, stand out from the crowd as you say. my girlfriend spent 2 years in cork and hated it. she dropped out and is now in ul also, she absolutely loves it here. as regards limerick being scammy, try certain parts of cork and indeed galway and you will see equal traces of scum. it exists every where, even among the student trend.the social life is as good as any place that i have been. you make your own social life, not wait for a social life to present itself to you. if there is "nothing to do", then what do you think there should be, what would you like and we will see if we can get it for you?!!

I have done all my research and a friends brother just graduated from it this year so I got all the answers from him.
    Cant wait to get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What is it with people and their attitude of "there's nothing arty in Limerick", yeah nothing except the bell table, the art college, the university concert hall, the drama soc, all the cimemas, the hunt museum, king john's castle, the grafitti in the jacks and your own imagination :D

People who think they're "arty" (god I hate when people pigeon hole themselves like that) generally aint

If ya want the arts go paint, act, play music, watch films, watch plays, read, write all things that can be done in Limerick or nearly any city in Ireland for that matter. Nothing ever falls on your lap in life, if ya want to do something then get up and do it, stop shifting blame to where you are going to college.

This summer I drove from west coast to east coast of America taking in 17 states and I could quite equally say there's nothing "arty" in America and that's because I didn't go looking for it.

If ya want to be really "arty" apply to art college, simple as...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

And the Art Gallery, Gallery 75 (?), Impact, Island Theatre Company, Dagheda, various music societies, EV+A, etc.

I'm not saying Limerick is a cultural wonderland but it isn't completely bereft either. Agree about the creative comment above, my two "artiest" friends (one got a first from Crawford in Cork) absolutely hate the muppets who go around wailing how creative they are and who generally have nothing to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Whatever about "arty" things, UL definetely has a different feel to UCC, TCD or UCD. People here dress differently (note: this is a sweeping generalisation) than those in the aforementioned colleges, I think people here dress rather ordinarily compared to the others. And in being ordinary, we are different (if this makes sense!). Can anyone else see where I'm coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Vegeta wrote:
    People who think they're "arty" (god I hate when people pigeon hole themselves like that) generally aint

If ya want the arts go paint, act, play music, watch films, watch plays, read, write all things that can be done in Limerick or nearly any city in Ireland for that matter. Nothing ever falls on your lap in life, if ya want to do something then get up and do it, stop shifting blame to where you are going to college.

Amen to that.

How come it's only "arty" people that get to pidgeonhole themselves? Do you ever come across Lawyery or Applied Physicy or Business Studies With Germany people?

klong wrote:
    Can anyone else see where I'm coming from?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

klong wrote:
    Whatever about "arty" things, UL definetely has a different feel to UCC, TCD or UCD. People here dress differently (note: this is a sweeping generalisation) than those in the aforementioned colleges, I think people here dress rather ordinarily compared to the others. And in being ordinary, we are different (if this makes sense!). Can anyone else see where I'm coming from?
    I can see that alright, I think most of the student population doesn't give much of a sh1t what they wear to college. Not saying we don't dress well or anything, just that no one is trying too hard to make an impression - there's not much of a poser element around. That said, some courses, mainly ones with more females, such as European Studies, would seem to have a different feel.

Thanks Peteeee, that was very helpful :rolleyes:

I can see that alright, I think most of the student population doesn't give much of a sh1t what they wear to college. Not saying we don't dress well or anything, just that no one is trying too hard to make an impression - there's not much of a poser element around. That said, some courses, mainly ones with more females, such as European Studies, would seem to have a different feel.

Thanks Peteeee, that was very helpful :rolleyes:

I aim to please!

Seriously, I dont really care what I wear to college. Most people probably dont tbh. I might occasionaly care what I wear going out!

Peteee wrote:
    Seriously, I dont really care what I wear to college. Most people probably dont tbh.

Thanks for adding nothing new from the last few posts slick. :rolleyes:

Think the 'clothes thing' has been established.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

UL is savage :D
    There should definately be no reason not too come here (unless your prefered course isn't here )

I'd say stay on campus for at least the first year and if your too lazy to go look for other accomodation.................... subsequent years also (what can i say 100mb/s {or 10 if your unlucky :mad: } + network connection)

Plassey,Kilmurry,Plassey,Dromroe,Plassey,Thomond,Plassey,Plassey........:p

The most important thing to do if you come here ......IMO (boo ya I learned a new abbreviation) (or any college for that matter)

Is join a club/society UL has an excellent range of clubs......don't say what you want isn't there...go set it up or try something different
    thats the most important thing
    join every club you can orientation week then go at least once to all of them (meetings,weekends etc. etc.) its the best way to meet friends who you will see regularly for 4 yrs ++ and if your doing comp. eng/ elec. eng./ comp sys.
    etc. etc. the best way to meet girls..... coz there won't be many in your class ;)

ULKC rocks ;D :cool: http://kayak.csn.ul.ie/
    OPC is fair good too
    There is loadsa others too

See here http://www.clubsandsocs.ul.ie/

now thats my shameless pluging of what i love best about ul :D

The campus facilities are excellent too you never have to queue for puters unless your just lazy and go to the library :rolleyes:

Sporting facilities are fantastic and still under development {huge development rumour has it}
    (esp. coz of the london olympics {2012 ?} )
    college expansion is huge too around the health science building is supposed to be the main area within 10 yrs ........

ah crap this is too long

Its excellent (so long as they don't change the calendar :eek: )

thats all i'll say :D

BOO!!

Yes to a change in the calender! tho prolly won't happen before we grad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

No your sooooooooooo wrong :D
    tho prolly won't happen before we grad.

true that ...supposedly they have been talkin' bout it for ages.... but i'd say the college is well split on it 50/50 ?

As in that ye get 3 weeks off in January but no time off for Easter.. thats just one of the downsides I can see to UL, why have time off when the colleges around the country still have college??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Are ye not gettin any Easter hol's over in UL?

Good Friday and Easter Monday we get off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

ah i see..

so Mary I is good for something..we getting a week off..yey!!:D

Advertisement