Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affairs

Options
  • 13-03-2006 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

I was out over the weekend and I'm 99.9% sure that my friends husband cheated on her with one of her best friends.

We were at a house party and they disappeared outside for ages, then again they disappeared upstairs for a while. I was downstairs and could hear them chatting away upstairs, then it went really quiet and after about 10 mins. I started up the stairs and she came down and I heard the toilet door slam. Later on I was in the living room and was watching her out in the hall talking to him and putting her hands on his arm in a way that a partner would do to their other half. This was all going on when his wife was asleep out on the couch.

I think he knows that I saw all of this, he defo saw me watching them in the hall, but what do I do? Do I leave it or do I challenge him because to be honest I can't even look at him and he was a good friend who I used to have an awful lot of time for but this has sickened me. Someone else noticed too and said it to me yesterday

I feel sick having this in my head, I am gutted that it's happened (it may not have but like I say I'm 99.9% sure, the .1% is a charity donation to him!)

The friend is also involved with someone, it's not like she's free to do it either, she's with one of his best friends!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Get proof before you choose to do anything. Apart from that, mind your own business :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Lindaloo

sinecurea wrote:
    Get proof before you choose to do anything. Apart from that, mind your own business :)

I'm not saying anything to her, I do know that but I don't honestly think that I can not say anything to him. Like I say, I can't even look at him let alone speak to him anymore so I don't think I'm going to be able to stay quiet.

Just to say, I don't get involved in peoples relationships, I do not want to say anything, but for the sake of our friendship and to wise him up I think I have to in this regard.

In the past I've heard of friends and their wanderings but didn't do anything about it cos I wasn't sure or didn't have any reason to believe the gossip, after the weekend, I'd be sure myself of what went on.

I don't want to be in this position, I've told people I don't want to know any more of the 'don't let on you know this but....' things, I don't want secrets, I'd rather just do my own thing and then when things happen, find out when it's out in the open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Lindaloo wrote:
    I don't want to be in this position, I've told people I don't want to know any more of the 'don't let on you know this but....' things, I don't want secrets, I'd rather just do my own thing and then when things happen, find out when it's out in the open

The thing is, you ARE in this position. It's pretty clear cut thereafter. You can keep it to yourself, and no-one would blame you for that.

Or you can tell your friend, and he probably won't appreciate hearing it, and it may cause friction between you and other mutual friends.

Those are your choices, anything else, telling a third party, doing some "discrete" nosing around, any of that is just diluting the issue, you'll wind up making it more complicated, and ultimately you still have to make the same decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You probably have very reasonable grounds for suspicion. But that does not mean that you can intervene in their relationship, however painful it may be for you to have to sit and watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

It's not your relationship so don't get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

If you're really sure of what went on then it's not going to do any harm to have a word in his ear, I wouldn't say anything to your friend as there is a good chance that she won't believe you. If you're really p'd off about it then say it to him, let him know that this time you're not going to say anything to her but that there better not be a second time

dudara wrote:
    You probably have very reasonable grounds for suspicion. But that does not mean that you can intervene in their relationship, however painful it may be for you to have to sit and watch.

I was never going to say it to her, I was going to say it to him and that was a lot to do with my relationship with him as like I said, I'm finding it difficult to speak to him.

I did however decide at about 1o'c that feck it, I've enough of my own worries to be going on with without worrying about his so I'm going to just see what happens.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was in a simliar situation a few years ago, however the couple that I knew were not married.

I took the policy of not saying anything. Eventually my friend found out her boyfriend had cheated, and also found out that I knew. My friendship has never been the same and was badly damaged because I never said anything.

My advice, for what its worth, Is confront him. Give him 2 weeks to tell his wife on his terms or you will. If he doesnt tell her, Then its up to you whether you want to tell your friend.

As you said, someone else saw it too, so its not only your word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It's a toughy - do you keep shtum incase you are wrong or say something incase you are right?.....

Personally, I would have a word in his ear as well.....I wouldn't consider myself much of a friend to have witnessed something that made me & multiple others so suspicious & leave my friend to be the last poor fool to find out....if the boot was on the other foot & someone saw my husband disappear upstairs with another woman (that sounds rediculously suspicious to me! I have never been to a party where couples disapear upstairs since I was a teenager!) then I would expect any "friend" to tell me what was going on.....

If nothing else, you can tell him plenty of people are thinking the same thing.....if your friends husband denies all & you become the bad guy then you have the knowledge that others think the same - at least then you did your best to protect her.....even if she doesn't want to hear it.....otherwise you stay slient and live with the consequences if she comes crying on your shoulder & you've known all about it for yrs.....best of luck :)

• Advertisement

Ah feck yiz, back to square one again! lol

I'm going to see what happens and how things are with me and him. I'd say that something will be said, only to him and maybe just to even ask what the craic is about it all.

Hopefully everything will turn out okay. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Samhildanach

Lindaloo wrote:

This was all going on when his wife was asleep out on the couch.

Oh my God! This whole situation stinks! There is no reason that the guy should disappear upstairs with the best friend ... if it was a matter that she had a personal problem and wanted to talk to him privately well then she could have talked with him in a downstairs room etc ... but to go upstairs! I'd say you are right about your suspicion, what makes it worse is the fact that his wife was there asleep on the couch and that all your mutual friends were there to see this - talk about humiliating! The poor wife ... such disrespect and utter selfishness on their part.

I think there is no point breaking her heart by telling her of your suspicions, however, I would definitely take her husband and possibly the best friend to one side and have words with them (separately of course). Tell them that most people at the party felt their behaviour was out of order and that you, as a good friend to his wife, feel a certain obligation to protect her feelings. If he/she does not cop on then you will be forced to drop hints to his wife. With regard to the best friend, I would certainly tell his wife that you think she is cheating on her boyfriend (this might make the wife more vigilent with regard to her behaviour). You're not telling his wife ... but you can at least warn her in a subtle way. Maybe she will talk to her friend about this ..the friend in turn might be shocked that she suspects something.

The worst thing that could happen is that if you warn him or the best friend they will be forced to be more careful and avoid detection altogher. They may appease you and say that they're innocent and continue to see each other quietly. It's a tough one ... but if I was the wife - I'd hate it if my friends all knew this and said nothing. I'd be crushed by the fact that not only my husband was cheating with my best friend but that all my other friends knew and remained silent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I'd definitely give him the ultimatum.....tell his partner or you will

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

BeenThere wrote:
    I was in a simliar situation a few years ago, however the couple that I knew were not married.

I took the policy of not saying anything. Eventually my friend found out her boyfriend had cheated, and also found out that I knew. My friendship has never been the same and was badly damaged because I never said anything.

My advice, for what its worth, Is confront him. Give him 2 weeks to tell his wife on his terms or you will. If he doesnt tell her, Then its up to you whether you want to tell your friend.

As you said, someone else saw it too, so its not only your word.

I would have to agree with this! If your friend finds out a few months down the road she will be seriously hurt that you didn't let her know what was going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Stay out of it...sooner or later he'll get caught and someone else will spill the beans.

and don't tell anyone else you know cos if it gets back to your friend you knew all along, she won't appreciate you not having told her.

so I guess he's not too bothered you seen him then?

TBH, if he has the balls to do it in the house with his wife there, he's not too bothered if he gets caught IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You have absolutely no proof. Its pure speculation on your part. I would say you might be 25% sure - very far from 99.9.

Unless you see it with your own eyes your not a witness. You can say they disappeared upstairs but you cant claim it was an affair because you just dont know. You are assuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

You have absolutely no proof. Its pure speculation on your part. I would say you might be 25% sure - very far from 99.9.

Unless you see it with your own eyes your not a witness. You can say they disappeared upstairs but you cant claim it was an affair because you just dont know. You are assuming.

Thats a good point alright! It could have all been completely innocent! Perhaps I was a little hasty in my last post suggesting you tell your friend.

Perhaps should to talk to the guy first! If you find admits to the affair then I would deal with it!

Otherwise be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I also think there is a lot of speculation going on here. There is definitely not enough evidence to conclude an affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I was once in a situation where a good friend and I found out that our other close friend's GF had been cheating on him. It took us 24 hours to decide we had to tell him (we had zero proof, we had been told by someone else) - looking back, I am surprised we didn't tell him immediately. Obviously he wasnt happy to hear it, but I can state categorically that he would not have had much time for us if we had kept this to ourselves and waited for him to find out by himself. If someone kept information like this from me if I were being cheated on I would never be able to forgive them. The 'keep your nose out of others' business' policy should not apply when real friends are involved.

I also think there is a lot of speculation going on here. There is definitely not enough evidence to conclude an affair.

I know there's not enough evidence and I am delighted there's not, I'd be in an awful state if I knew for defo that he had. I much prefer not knowing secrets, I love being the last to know things and looking stupid cos I hadn't a clue, it's so much easier!

No one knows that I have suspicions (?spell) so it wouldn't ever get back to the wife and there was only me and someone else and neither of us are about to go blabbing to anyone, even if it was 100%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭OrangeOranges

The friend is also involved with someone, it's not like she's free to do it either, she's with one of his best friends!

messsssssssssssssssssy!!! Stay well away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

yeah wait til kids are involved, ruin as many lives as possible! (sarc)

6th

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bear in mind, if you do say something, and arent believed, you may be cast as the b!tch whose stirring trouble in this whole thing...

Can any of the folks who say there is no evidence to base suspicion on, maybe explain give me a few innocent scenarios of why this man & his wife's friend disapeared upstairs for 10mins? Any parties my husband & I have attended, disapearing upstairs with your spouse is not the done thing - let alone with someone else's spouse....so perhaps that is making me cynical?! :o

OP, how close a friend is the wife? Is she your best friend? Or just a woman in your circle of friends?

OP, how close a friend is the wife? Is she your best friend? Or just a woman in your circle of friends?

She is a good friend, so is he, the other girl in question isn't someone I'd see or talk to very often and when I do see her, conversation is to the min.

If I'd have been left to think about it myself I'd have been thinking along the 'I'm making too much out of it' line but when my other friend said it to me I knew it wasn't in my head.

I just hope that it is only the two of us that saw or noticed anything, not all our friends are able to keep the gobs shut!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Lindaloo wrote:
    I just hope that it is only the two of us that saw or noticed anything, not all our friends are able to keep the gobs shut!
    Why would you want to?
    At the very least speak to the guy and ask him what reasons he'd have for disappearing upstairs with the woman, and suggest his behaviour was inappropriate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Can any of the folks who say there is no evidence to base suspicion on, maybe explain give me a few innocent scenarios of why this man & his wife's friend disapeared upstairs for 10mins? Any parties my husband & I have attended, disapearing upstairs with your spouse is not the done thing - let alone with someone else's spouse....so perhaps that is making me cynical?! :o

No it doesnt make you cynical. But its not enought evidence to break up a marriage. You need solid proof if your going to be the homewrecker.

Its just suspicion. Maybe they started something and then thought better of it and didnt do anything in the end. You just dont know. There are any number of possibilities.

I wouldnt say anything unless I saw with my own eyes.

No it doesnt make you cynical. But its not enought evidence to break up a marriage. You need solid proof if your going to be the homewrecker.

Its just suspicion. Maybe they started something and then thought better of it and didnt do anything in the end. You just dont know. There are any number of possibilities.

I wouldnt say anything unless I saw with my own eyes.

It's not necessarily going to break up their marriage - which is a sham if he is cheating anyway....if it was your husband, would you not want to know? Even if it was just a suspicion....a suspicion that more than one person had? Would you say nothing to your friend? If the **** hits the preverbial fan later on (which innevitably it does in these situations) will you tell your friend you had suspicions but you didn't see anything conclusive with your own eyes & you didn't want to be a home-wrecker so you said nothing? Or will you feign ignorance on the whole subject? If it was me or my close friend - I think we would say something to each other, or I'd be a pretty shoddy friend.....if it is inocent then he'll have a great excuse for doing what he did, won't he? :) She can tell her husband people had seen him going upstairs with X - what was he up to?

I'm not planning on being a homewrecker just for the record :).

I would also be dubious about telling her anything even if I did see it with my own eyes.

Oh I don't know, think I just needed to rant and it was easier than clawing his eyes out! lol

Thanks again all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Can any of the folks who say there is no evidence to base suspicion on, maybe explain give me a few innocent scenarios of why this man & his wife's friend disapeared upstairs for 10mins?
    I thought this too....he's GUILTY.

But let him hang himself, we men always do....;)

Advertisement