Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childhood Movies

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Toasty

Goonies
    The Breakfast Club (obviously)
    Stand By Me
    Gremlins
    Back to the Future (all of 'em)
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Grease
    Dirty Dancing (nobody puts baby in the corner)
    The Karate Kid (mr miagi was class) *remembers movie* wax on wax off!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

Toasty great choices I had forgotten about The Breakfast Club and Stand by Me. Just thought of another one which is usually shown around Paddy's Day - Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Love that even though I get a bit scared at some parts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Labyrinth, The Neverending Story, The Princess Bride, Gremlins, Goonies, Legend, Transformers and The Land Before Time stand out the most... i still watch Transformers every now and then and i bought Legend not too long ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

remember seeing transformers the movie in the adelphi and being totally blown away. it just looked absoulutly amazing on the big screen . got it on dvd recently and forgot how violent it was, half the cast and the main protagonist get offed before your even 40mins in :eek: , its still class though:D

cant believe no ones mentioned crocodile dundee yet! and fair play to whovere mentioned maniquin, lord kim catrell looked fine. and i love the princess bride. its probably the best scripted kids film ever. ended up watching it with the lads on a bender a few weeks back, its class with a few beers

actually bought the back to the future films last year, its amazing how well they hold up and i think everyone loved gremlins. i dont think you'd get away with a film that scary now:rolleyes: .

anyone remember the last starfighter? man that was cool and if memory serves it was the first film to try to use cgi in any large role along with films like flight of the navigator, you know now that i think of it the eighties was a great period for kiddie sci fi

by the way do you know howard the duck is the first screen preformance for tim robins:eek: big jump from that to shawshank redemption

one i nearly forgot about is watership down. a class animated film about bunnies fighting a totalitarianism stalinist regieme, who'd a thunk it:D

you know thers one other i can only remember by name. anyone know what the hell BMX bandits was all about? only thing i remember about it is nicole kidman was in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Larianne wrote:
    i thought that was the freakiest film when I was younger.

You must have been a dumb child then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Great Movies so far =).

hmmm for myself , just about everything listed so far, but stuff i'd love to watch again i have nearly all of em

Transformers the movie ( i found this in a Xtravison and made a cop .. i mean backup :P)
    krull - Classic Movie
    Men at work - my fav comedy of all time.
    hmm just remembered i need to find all my disney movies :p
    but in order to relive being a kid i'd have to rent out the ambassador :P
    Goonies
    Gremlins
    Watershipdown
    Platoon - watched it when i was about 12 and though it was the kwelist thing ever =)
    Willow - I'm the greatest swords man that has ever lived !!! - Stupid Peck =).
    Star wars - IV, V , VI
    Last starfighter - was on ITV2 recently
    Ice Age - ok i wasn't a kid when i watched this first , but it made me feel like one =).
    Gobots
    Alien + Aliens ( well i have the quadrillogy)
    Superman ( I II III IV)
    Teen wolf - II sucked so i didn't get that.
    Weird Science
    Tony the tiger - magic tshirt embuded with kwel powers i read the book and then got the movie as a pressie one year.
    Bladerunner - Had me sitting there with my mouth open in Awe.

Lots and lots more ... but as i said i have the majority of anything i want to watch =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

A few id forgotten about.

Karate Kid (how could I forget that!)
    Crocoldile Dundee as previously mentioned
    Last Starfighter (brilliant)
    Heartbreak Ridge

and now for the piece la restance (not sure how to spell that in french)
    Big trouble in little China!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Almost forgot Teen Agent.

iregk wrote:

and now for the piece la restance (not sure how to spell that in french)
    Big trouble in little China!

hell yes kurt russell ruled :D , god i loved that film. think it was on around christmas too. my brother picke up krull for about 5euro just before christmas from xtra vision and it just brings a goofy smile to my face. i'd have killed for one of those blade thingys when i was a kid (and liam neesons in it :eek: )

actually another obscure one's just occured to me, anyone remember "supersnooper"? it was about this cop that got superpowers when exposed to radiation in a nuclear test. as a result he could run faster catch bullets and had super strength but it faded anytime he saw the colour red:D i think i destroyed the video watching it so many times. seen it on play a while back, might get it for a laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

"Big Trouble In Little China" I seen that one in the cinema, its a great movie, I have it on dvd now, in my opinion one of kurt russells best. Pure entertainment.

Who can forget "The Goonies", even now, every so often you hear people shouting "hey you gu-uys!", brilliant.

Also a bit obsure but I remember seeing a movie in the mid 80s with my neighbour called "The Last Starfighter" I completely forgot about it but it was on TG4 last saturday i think it was. Not as good as i remembered, very cheesy 80s in places, but still enjoyable.

The are loads of other films that are coming into my head now but most are i think a bit too obsure.

All in all i think the 80s had some great popcorn movies, very little or very bad special effects but then again thats probably why the are special.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

'Dark Crystal'
    I did see it on DVD in HMV recently, just didn't have any cash.

There is a part two in the works...not sure if anyone knew about it...I'm SUPER EXCITED about it!

http://www.henson.com/company/20060201.html

Now if we can get another Labyrinth....*sighs*
    ahhhhhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

the goonies
    gremlins
    never ending story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Goonies & ET.
    The thing is I always remembered the goonies as being auld fellas since I was so young! Same with elliot in ET.

"

The are loads of other films that are coming into my head now but most are i think a bit too obsure.

All in all i think the 80s had some great popcorn movies, very little or very bad special effects but then again thats probably why the are special.

Last starfighter might look crap now, but the scripts brilliant " go to sleep or im telling mom about your playboys!" class:D and it holds up well in a sentimental sense

as to obscure cheesy films, your not thinking of "battle beyond the stars!" are ye? go on johnboy and the hanibal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Another good one was Starman with Jeff Bridges

Starman: I watched you very carefully. Red light stop, green light go, yellow light go very fast.

Another good one was Starman with Jeff Bridges

Starman: I watched you very carefully. Red light stop, green light go, yellow light go very fast.

YESSSSSS....*giggles*
    I remember that one too!:D

Weird Science

i cant believe i forgot about this one. is one of my top 5!! classic!

Ohhh the Breakfast club....

*GRINS at Toasty*

I used to think that was the hottest movie along with that other molly movie.....Sixteen candles was it?

could have been pretty in pink either!!

No.....Pretty in pink was different....She wanted soem hot guy...then in the end....her best dorky bud pulled her through...*wipes tear*
    I LOVED that one too!

Come on Toasty...we need an 80's marathon movie watching day *giggles*
    We're likin the same ones..;)

• Advertisement

well i never seen sixteen candles so i dont know cast or plot or nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MW

Can anybody remember "Adventures and Babysitting", I loved it, they got stuck in New York and the little girl was obsessed with Thor!!! It was brilliant, I think they changed the name to "A Night on the Town", I would love to get that on Video or DVD. And you can't beat a bit of Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf either.

MW wrote:
    Can anybody remember "Adventures and Babysitting", I loved it, they got stuck in New York and the little girl was obsessed with Thor!!! It was brilliant, I think they changed the name to "A Night on the Town", I would love to get that on Video or DVD. And you can't beat a bit of Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf either.

well adventures in babysitting is available on dvd on play.com and so is a night on the town! not sure which one it is.
    the adventures and babysitting is when she goes to chicago
    not sure what a night on the town is about but it i think its adventures in babysitting ur looking for.

No.....Pretty in pink was different....She wanted soem hot guy...then in the end....her best dorky bud pulled her through...*wipes tear*
    I LOVED that one too!

Come on Toasty...we need an 80's marathon movie watching day *giggles*
    We're likin the same ones..;)

yeah but she got the rich guy in the end and her friend was ducky!

Toasty wrote:
    well adventures in babysitting is available on dvd on play.com and so is a night on the town! not sure which one it is.
    the adventures and babysitting is when she goes to chicago
    not sure what a night on the town is about but it i think its adventures in babysitting ur looking for.

they're both the same. for some reason beyond me the yanks are obsessed with changing the names of their films because they think were too thick to figure out what the originals meant.
    take filofax with james belushi, over here it was called "taking care of business" (and was on during the week:) ) exact same film but different titles. the same with california man (here) with brendan frasier, in the states it was called encino man. guess the suits didnt think we could figure out thats the name of the town in california they defrost him:rolleyes:

right on the line of obscure 80's films.

Moonwalker!!!!

There is a part two in the works...not sure if anyone knew about it...I'm SUPER EXCITED about it!

http://www.henson.com/company/20060201.html

Now if we can get another Labyrinth....*sighs*
    ahhhhhhhhhhh

Dark Crystal what a class film that was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Starwars trilogy... not digitally remastered or anything, just raw lucas.
    Goonies, i loved the guy with the gadgets. And its so true that they seemed older than me, Gawd, when i look back now....

Last starfighter and battle beyond the stars, i played so many video games after that, hoping to end up in a real star fighter :D

Big trouble in little china,seen it stacks of times, a true classic, Kurt Russel at his very best.

Back to the future and Teen wolf, always a fan of Michael J.

National Lampoons were great
    Naked gun,
    Manequin anyone?!? Every saturday night it seemed another classic was on in the Abbey Cinema Drogheda.
    Gremlins a legend.
    Ferris Bulers Day off!!
    Labyrinth,
    KRULL!!!! such a cheesy film, loved it!

Thats it, im off to buy a new pair of Converse sneakers :D loved the 80's!!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The Goonies would be top of my list. Mentions for Gremlins and The Karate Kid. Wax on, wax off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

The first one that comes to mind for me is Wayne's World, god I used to know the whole script of that off!

Advertisement