Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childhood Movies

Options
  • 04-03-2006 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

Everyone has their favourite childhood movie, the one movie that you watched so many times that you wore out the tape.

Recently I began a search for movies that I enjoyed as a child - purely for sentimental value - and realised how watchable these films were even after all these years. The main problem however is that some of them are hard to track down again.

Some recent examples of DVD's (some of the simpler ones to find) that I found were -
    Labyrinth
    The Goonies

Next on my list -
    Howard The Duck
    Star wars - Battle for endor (the one with the Ewoks)
    All I need now is the money :( (being a broke college student sucks)

So what films are you dying to see again ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

c - 13 wrote:
    the one movie that you watched so many times that you wore out the tape.

QUOTE]

"Wore out the tapes" ?? What tapes - we just had an old black and white PYE and had to thump it every five minutes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Litcagral wrote:
    "Wore out the tapes" ?? What tapes - we just had an old black and white PYE and had to thump it every five minutes. :)

Aye and we were happy with it too ... between that and walking the 8 miles to school and back everyday through thick snow (even in the middle of summer, while having to fend off the wild boars and hedgehogs that attacked you along the road with nothing but a stick) we were kept busy but we were happy with our lot, not like these kids today with they're fancy shiny disk things and their mpT's or whatever it is theyre called ......
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

'Dark Crystal'
    I did see it on DVD in HMV recently, just didn't have any cash.

Never actually saw all of that. Only bits and pieces from when it was on television recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

i liked the Running Man with *shudder* Arnold Schwarzenegger. We had one of them top loading video recorders that would get awfully hot by the time the film had ended :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

King Kong Vs. Godzilla - I only saw it once though. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056142/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Witches....definately wore that one out

The labrynth ...watched that a few too many times alright.
    ET....Really liked that as a kid , hate it now though.

Aladdin...actually thats still one of my favourite films to this day , brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

The Goonies
    Labrynth
    Legend
    Unico (absolutely loved that....can't find it anywhere now though)
    All of my Disney tapes
    Santa Clause the movie....the *only* christmas movie worth watching :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

oh I forgot home alone 1 ....Think my mam still knows every line of that , Id still watch that over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Heh, I just remember constantly watching Grease, the Blues Brothers, A Bridge Too Far... Not exactly children's films, but hey, twas what I watched at that age.

Neverending Story and Little Mermaid I spose come close... And even then only cos they had characters with names similar to my own...:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Ah lads what about The Karate Kid. Always a classic. I remember getting the Mickey Mouse movie where nothing happens and its all just music and arsing about. I think my sister started crying when she watched that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

Gobots and the rock lords remember getting a copy of a rental copy and waering the tape out till it broke and killed my video :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Ghostbusters.
    Stand By Me
    Lost Boys
    Time Bandits
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Airplane!
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    Vacation
    Gremlins
    Back to the Future
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Spaceballs

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Superman
    Greece
    Dirty Dancing
    Gremlins
    Look Whos Talking 1 and 2
    Three Man and a Baby/Little Lady
    An American Tale

Secret of Nimh (think there was a sequel too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

What about the Dark Crystal.... anyone remember that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Definately Labrynth and The Goonies. Bought both on DVD recently and I also bought The Dark Crystal coz it was another Froud/Henson film but had never seen it.

Also Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Clue, Airplane!, Uncle Buck, Commando, Kingergarten Cop, Three Men and a Little Baby/Lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Young Guns. Emilio Estevez was a cool mofo. I remember when i was about 8 or 9 i used to watch it every day. I had my gun and tried to spin it like billy the kid. I used to act out the end by jumping out of abox, all guns blazing.

Ah, if only to be young again (younger, anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

What about the Dark Crystal.... anyone remember that one?
    High five! I loved that film, but no one I know that I've mentioned it to has ever heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

I loved The Land Before Time, I remember it being such a sad film that would always make me cry! I loved Home Alone, ET, back to the future, who framed roger rabbit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

The very very first video I watched was ET. Havn't watched it in years. My uncle was the first in our family to get a video recorder and myself and all my cousins watched it.

Some others are:

Grease
    Back to the Future
    Gremlins
    The Jungle Book
    Dirty Dancing
    Revenge of the Nerds (loved that)
    Ferris Buellers Day Off
    Mannequin
    Pretty in Pink
    Willy Wonka

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

nachos wrote:
    I loved The Land Before Time, I remember it being such a sad film that would always make me cry! I loved Home Alone, ET, back to the future, who framed roger rabbit

The Land Before Time made me cry too. I think I watched them all with my daughter. There was around 3 or 4 of them. 10 out of 10 for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

The Goonies
    Milk Money
    Home Alone
    Drop Dead Fred

Also forgot to mention Edward Scissorhands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Disney Films. Loved them to bits.

Favourites being
    Beauty and the Beast
    The Jungle Book.

That I got for christmas one year when I was about 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Back to the Future - the 3 of them were pure class, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

i have been buying all my favourites back off ebay for the last year or so- managed to get :
    - the dark crystal
    - labrinth
    - she-ra
    - my little pony
    - rainbow brite
    - the last unicorn
    - legend
    - transformers
    - dungeons and dragons

the ones im dying to get now are jayce and the wheeled warriors, jem and the holograms and wildfire

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Drop Dead Fred

i thought that was the freakiest film when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I loved drop dead fred!! only problem was I wanted to do things id seen in the film! cornflake mud pie anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

For me:

The Labrynth
    Neverending Story
    The Gooneys (the ultimate kids film)
    & of course the Back to the Future trilogy. Still love those films.

Advertisement