Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm suggesting taht she is creative the image not imagining it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

6th wrote:
    I'm suggesting taht she is creative the image not imagining it.
    In the same way that poltergiest activity is often believed to be caused by emotionally upset people (teenagers) in a house?

KatieK wrote:
    In the same way that poltergiest activity is often believed to be caused by emotionally upset people (teenagers) in a house?

yes in a way, I think people are responsible (unknowingly) for quiet a few paranormal phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭imprezza

I've had a couple of things happen that I can't explain in my house because Im not really sure that ghosts exist. My partner believes in them thinks our apartment is haunted, it's the basement of a very old house. A few times I picked up my phone and 666 was on it, I joined this board because I need advice from someone who knows about these things. My partner is totally freaked now, we've been here 7 months. Every night at 9 o'clock the livingroom door opens by itself. A few times we both felt someone watching us in the bathroom. I swear something pulled the duvet off us when we were asleep, we both saw the duvet and it looked like it was being pulled off the bed by someone at the end if you know what I mean. My partner says by a ghost but it could have been sliding off by itself. Sometimes th telly turns on in the middle of the night but maybe its switch is dodgy. And the bedroom gets freezing sometimes, my partner always feels someone there when that happens. Probably sounds stupid I know these things can all be explained.

Plug wrote:
    The frightning bit was when the friend had also saw her father a few times and just took it for granted. Also my mother said his clothes were left in the house at this stage, could that have anything to do with it? Just clothes left in the wardropes.
    Were the clothes still in the house from the time the grandfather died, or did they suddenly appear in the house? sorry not sure what you mean about the grandfathers clothes. thanks.

• Advertisement

imprezza wrote:
    I've had a couple of things happen that I can't explain in my house because Im not really sure that ghosts exist. My partner believes in them thinks our apartment is haunted, it's the basement of a very old house. A few times I picked up my phone and 666 was on it, I joined this board because I need advice from someone who knows about these things. My partner is totally freaked now, we've been here 7 months. Every night at 9 o'clock the livingroom door opens by itself. A few times we both felt someone watching us in the bathroom. I swear something pulled the duvet off us when we were asleep, we both saw the duvet and it looked like it was being pulled off the bed by someone at the end if you know what I mean. My partner says by a ghost but it could have been sliding off by itself. Sometimes th telly turns on in the middle of the night but maybe its switch is dodgy. And the bedroom gets freezing sometimes, my partner always feels someone there when that happens. Probably sounds stupid I know these things can all be explained.

Sounds almost exactly like a place I was out at, turned out not to be a bad thing as such - just misinterperated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

imprezza wrote:
    Were the clothes still in the house from the time the grandfather died, or did they suddenly appear in the house? sorry not sure what you mean about the grandfathers clothes. thanks.
    They were just left in the house for sometime after he died.

right thanks, what's misinterperated btw?

No I meant in the case Iof the place I went out into. The guy was convinced something nasty was going on when it turns out it was a positive entity and he was just getting freaked out by what was going on and building on what was happening in his head.

If you're worried about the place you're in now drop me a mail or pm and i'll give you some advice. Dont want to be giving it out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I'm not acting dum but whats a poltergaist?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Plug wrote:
    I'm not acting dum but whats a poltergaist?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poltergeist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Not sure if this is counted as a ghost story. So I'll just tell. On sunday we were walking through a local forest park with family. Now I was not really thinking of paranormal per say. I say not really cos it seems always to on the back of mind these days. Anyway. Just started down i would say 10 steps into the path and I could here battle noises and as i looked around I could see soilders hiding within the trees these came in flashes more than fixed but one did turn and wink at me and put his hand to his lip to say shhh. Now it looked like these guys were about to ambush something. Next thing I heard from the other side was charge and the vision was strong of men running with swords drawn. Now I looked the area up and so far no record of any battle or fight taking place in this particular area am hopeful though. So was it a ghost or was it just an imprint. Winking at me said ghost rest says imprint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

kshiel wrote:
    Not sure if this is counted as a ghost story. So I'll just tell. On sunday we were walking through a local forest park with family. Now I was not really thinking of paranormal per say. I say not really cos it seems always to on the back of mind these days. Anyway. Just started down i would say 10 steps into the path and I could here battle noises and as i looked around I could see soilders hiding within the trees these came in flashes more than fixed but one did turn and wink at me and put his hand to his lip to say shhh. Now it looked like these guys were about to ambush something. Next thing I heard from the other side was charge and the vision was strong of men running with swords drawn. Now I looked the area up and so far no record of any battle or fight taking place in this particular area am hopeful though. So was it a ghost or was it just an imprint. Winking at me said ghost rest says imprint

"chokes on pretzel and falls off the chair, big black eye (like bush)
    Seriously are you for real, I mean, did you have a camera, was there anyone with you etc..

If it were really true, Firstly I'd roar then I'd make a run for my life, Now don't take it the wrong way? but does this lay the line down as it was a ghost setting? in the past.. Please elaborate?

I've heard could be wrong that these visions whether true or not happen in different dimension, or well that's the theory, so I don't think it's possible that they would be aware of this dismension. Now I've read ghost stories in the past, and watch documentaries most stories that are comparable to this were in a different dismension scenrio.

Example at the roman wall between scotland and England, there were ghost sightings of Romans marching through the land were to totally unaware of the present state i e other people.

mysterious wrote:
    "chokes on pretzel and falls off the chair, big black eye (like bush)
    Seriously are you for real, I mean, did you have a camera, was there anyone with you etc..

If it were really true, Firstly I'd roar then I'd make a run for my life, Now don't take it the wrong way? but does this lay the line down as it was a ghost setting? in the past.. Please elaborate?

I've heard could be wrong that these visions whether true or not happen in different dimension, or well that's the theory, so I don't think it's possible that they would be aware of this dismension. Now I've read ghost stories in the past, and watch documentaries most stories that are comparable to this were in a different dismension scenrio.

Example at the roman wall between scotland and England, there were ghost sightings of Romans marching through the land were to totally unaware of the present state i e other people.

Ok I dont know if it was a ghost setting or someone somewhere was just kind enough to let me see in. All I can tell you is what i saw was what i saw and truthfully it not scare me at all. I was in total awh at it especially the wink and shh. Now if it was a different dismension I had entered and they were unaware of me and we hold this bit to be true then the only other explaination to this would some other spirit was standing in my poistion and it was them the wink and shh was entented. Have to say though it felt like it was meant for me.

My hubby and two kids were with me now all I did was stop dead and stood in awh now I have to say this was more of flash imagery and not soild all the time but for those few moments i was stuck to the ground. Every one else just walked by and no one else seemed to notice. This was a sunday afternoon about 3. Unforuntaly I did not have a camera but am planning go back very soon and see if same privialge is given to me.

Heres a little spin on it: "what if" it is an imprint but at the time of it happening the guy who winked at you was aware of you being there in his "time"? He may be "sensitive" in the same way you are kshiels - maybe working on a similar wave length?

Of course its a far out idea but interesting none the less.

Maybe a far out idea but is difinitely an interesting one. Maybe it was this guy who was showing me the imprint even more out there but what if ghosts or souls could show you what and where they were at a certain time and place to make contact I mean they say spirit guides can show you images and speak words to you (this i believe as I have been shown images and been spoken to by my spirit guide) why not a normal ghost so to speak. Ok thats really out there but again interesting thought. Ok maybe this topic is for an other tread. May start one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

6th wrote:
    Heres a little spin on it: "what if" it is an imprint but at the time of it happening the guy who winked at you was aware of you being there in his "time"? He may be "sensitive" in the same way you are kshiels - maybe working on a similar wave length?

Of course its a far out idea but interesting none the less.

I remember hearing a story a few years ago, I think it was someone who worked with my dad. But basically there was a guy who lived in an old house, which he believed to be haunted. He often saw a different family going about their usual business in the house they didn't interfer with him and didn't cause any harm so he wasn't particularly bothered. Anyway one day when he saw the man (of the house?) he decieded to try communicating with him, (in a competly amature fashion) he simply called out to the man, the man replied, and he asked the "ghost" why they haunted the place and didn't move on to "the other side", the ghost told him that he was actually in the correct time and that he (my fathers colleague) was the ghost.

It seems that there was some sort of time slip, and they two were indeed sensitive to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭my_house

that was the basis of a published ghost story - must google it to see what it was called, but it was on the same premise.

When i was a teenager I used to stay over the odd time in a friends house, as I lived 5 miles outside the town (and i had no car), so it was handy the odd time to stay over. Anyway, I'd been sleeping on the sofa one night and pretty early the next morning one of the boys in the house told me to pretend I'd been making tea earlier. I kinda said " eh???2 and basically yer man hadnt time to explain and just said that if his mother asked, I;d been making tea - so I said grand. I'll say that if she asks. There was myself, the two boys (they were brothers) and their elderly mother in the house that night and morning.

So as it happens, about an hour later after I'd nodded off again and woke up, I meet the boys mother in the kitchen and she asks was I making tea around 6.30am and I said 'yeah - couldnt sleep'. The woman seemed pretty relieved and told me she'd heard noises in the kitchen, came downstairs and as she got into the kitch, the kettle had just knocked itself off after coming to the boil. Neither of the two sons had been up (and they swear by that) and it certainly wasnt me.

The thing was that the mother had really really bad nerves due to so many things like this happening (including how one of the sons years before kept claiming he'd see a woman in white walking into his room in the middle of the night) so the minute the mother had asked the sons if they'd been making tea and they had said they hadnt, they'd decided to have me pretend I'd make it so the old womans nerves wouldnt get any worse.

Not exactly paranormal fully.

Recently myself and a friend were sitting at the end of the Claddagh in Galway. There's a small stone pier at the end, its ancient. It was coming close to midnight and we were sitting there and talking. Then suddnely I heard this whisper. It was so distinctive but I couldn't make it out as it was more of a mumble. I asked my friend if she had said anything, and she said no, I asked her if she had heard anything and once again, no. It was definately a male voice though, it sounded somewhat foreign.

For the rest of the time we spent there, I kept getting the feeling that we were being watched. Though there was nobody around. Behind us was water, there was nobody standing over, or around the corner. And yet the feeling still remained.

Weird, huh?

The whisper just sounded so close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Sorry for this long post but i hope you find it interesting.

My mother has has a good few experiences with 'ghosts' or the paranormal.

One experience when she was very young. She was standing with her older sister on the street in the town where they lived. There was a funeral procession passing. As the coffin was being carried past, my mother swears she heard a young childs voice -clear as a bell- say 'where am I?'
    She swears to this day that it came from the coffin because she remembers distictly that it came from the box being carried ( she didn't fully understand what it was at the time) She said it was like she could hear it, but nobody else did. She always wonders if it was someone buried alive, but in that case, someone else would surely have heard it. Weird.

Also, on the road where my mother lived, there was a well known ghost - they called her 'the white lady'. My mother was walking to work one summers evening and she saw a woman come towards her in the distance, on the other side of the road. My mother glanced at the ground for a few seconds as she was walking, and when she looked up again, the woman was right in front of her! She said she was peering into her face as if she was looking for something. It startled my mother because the woman had been so far away and the next second she was right there! I don't remember much else about that story - I know my mother walked on and didn't look back. Her sister also saw the white lady on the road, and her father - a grown man - came running down the road one night and jumped the gate - didn't even wait to open it, because he had had an encounter with the white lady aswell.

there are a few more things she told me that I can post if you want. I myself have never had any experiences

• Advertisement

my_house wrote:
    So as it happens, about an hour later after I'd nodded off again and woke up, I meet the boys mother in the kitchen and she asks was I making tea around 6.30am and I said 'yeah - couldnt sleep'. The woman seemed pretty relieved and told me she'd heard noises in the kitchen, came downstairs and as she got into the kitch, the kettle had just knocked itself off after coming to the boil. Neither of the two sons had been up (and they swear by that) and it certainly wasnt me.QUOTE]

Lately when I go to my mothers house the kettle seems to go on by its self. This has happen over the last 2 months. First time it happened when I was there was when myself and mother were sitting down talking and in the middle of the conversation the kettle pop on and started to boil. I just said what the fu*k was that. Ah see said its been going on an off for the last few days now. So we made a cup of tea. Again about two weeks ago I was down there and I made a cup of tea about 10min after the kettle went back on again. It could be an electrical fault I suppose but for now we just say ah it must be time for tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wow, creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Pink Bunny wrote:
    I guess that's the most interesting story I guess.
    Wooo thats freaky. I had a little 'experience' today. I was in work - we have a few buildings and I've always thought one of them was a bit haunted. I spent a lot of time in it out of hours on my own and always used to hear bumps etc and doors closing (they're firedoors so the wouldn't just blow open) or felt a presence when I was on my own. Anyhoos I was sitting there today on my own and could have sworn I saw somebody walk by me - I'm sure I heard the floor creaking as well. It was just in the corner of my eye but when I turned around there was nothing there. I've mentioned to a few people that I think it's a bit haunted - everybody has laughed except one person who agreed with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

<calibos banned for a week>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

:D Haunted is such a cold word how about "Tennants" or "Occupied" :D

Years and years ago myself and a friend were invited to stay over at another friends house as her parents were out of town. While we were there she mentioned she had a freind that could contact the dead. She called her and she came over. They made up a Quija borad so to speak by writting all the letters of the abc out and yes / no Boy/ girl etc etc. Now I did not take part in the actual playing of the board as as I have said before I think and always have that these borads should be used by someone who knows how. Anyway I watched from outside the circle and I do remember the glass did move and it was a man who came in (of course knowbody knows if they were moving it or not) Her mother came home very suddenly and the board was just thrown under the bed and we were sent home. As we waited in her hallway the lights started to flicker on and off nothing to strange about that. But when I got home and went up to my own room I felt really uneasy and so I asked "Is there anyone there, if there is please knock the stereo" Sure as god the stereo knocked (shook) it was one you could carry around with you. I remember running down the stairs and confessing to My mother and father what had happened. It scared the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I just remembered, my Mom once told me about a light she had seen. She was in bed in her sister's house in Tipperary, and she woke up to find a glowing yellow light floating around the room.

I had completely forgotten that.

This happened to my sister a good few years back. She had a dream she saw this car crash and outside the crash was the spirit of the man inside the car. He looked at her and said it is not my time, why didn't you tell me to wear my seatbelt (or something to that effect). Now she used to go to this local club on a saturday night and the following saturday night she saw the guy she dreamt about she said she did not know him that well so obiviously didn't want to look mad telling him to wear his seat belt. The following day it was on the news that a crash had taken place on the road and the man she dreamt of had been killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My mum was a nurse in London in the late 60's early 70's, the building that the nurses lived in had been bombed during WW2. Anyway my mum told me that one night she was in bed and was just about to nod off but for some reason she opened her eyes and saw a woman standing at the end of her bed. She remembers it vividly, she wasn't scared of the "ghost" because she was smiling at my mother. The "ghost" was in full nurse uniform from the 40's, she was there for about 5-10 mins and then just faded away.
    Do you think she could this have been one of the nurses killed during the bombing?
    I like the fact that she was smiling down at my mum, mum was really ill at the time, she was just getting over glandular fever, i'm sure she was continuing her duty as a nurse even after death.

P.S. She knows it wasn't a fever induced illusion :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pipp

I think your right! I often see flashes of light or sometimes light in the corner of my eye...kinda out of reach from my sight, like if I look to see it then its gone and I think these are my guardian angels making themselves known and making me aware of what Im doing at the time and to be careful. I love it when it happens.

Hi,
    This happens to me too. My grandfather always said that I had a "shine" to me and its only now that I understand what he meant. I see these lights all the time, but even more when something bad happens. I take it as a warning when I see them, to be careful and to make sure all of my loved ones are accounted for.
    One paranormal encounter I had that touched me very deeply was about two years ago. I had been very ill, in and out of hospital, being put through test after test and I was almost at rock bottom with being tired of feeling so ill and not knowing why. Anyway, I was alone at the time, husband was at work, and I was just turning off the tv and lights to go to bed and I turned around and there in the doorway was a young-ish man, with blonde hair in 50's style clothing, leaning against one side of the door frame, with his hands in his pockets, smiling at me. In that instant it was like he was saying "dont worry, You will have your answer soon and I will watch over you". Its hard to explain but there was such a farmiliar feeling from him, like i knew him. He disappeared right in front of me and I went to bed and slept with a lovely feeling of comfort and being taken care of. So, next day I get a phonecall to come in to the doctor where I finally got my diagnosis.
    I told my mother about this the next day, and when I described him she went white instantly and had to sit down. It turns out it was her father, my grandfather, as he would have been when he was first married. She had a photo in a box of him wearing what I saw him in.
    Needless to say it touched me deeply that he would chose to come to me when I was in need, and I have seen him since, always in my peripheral vision, and he always makes me feel loved and encouraged.

Advertisement