Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 23-02-2006 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Ok, About last May my laptop (Inspiron 5150) went on the blink. Just stopped booting for no reason. No overheating, no obvious hardware problem. Long story, but yes its been sitting there unused ever since.

Now I find out that there is actually well documented cases of the same fault and very much looks like Dell were at fault.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_general&message.id=166703&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Needless to say I am slightly annoyed:mad:

Has anyone else had this problem with any Dell? Has anyone had any experience with Dell outside of their warranty?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

I work for Dell, I haven't heard of this issue - then again, I don't support Inspirons. If it's in warranty, Dell replace whatever parts neccesary. If not, repairs would have to be paid for and that's not Dell's fault - read the Ts and Cs of sale/warranty.

Not trying to be a smart b@stard, just saying. You said it's not booting? The link refers to a problem where it will crash if pressure is applied to a certain point, how are these related?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

WexCan wrote:
    I work for Dell, I haven't heard of this issue - then again, I don't support Inspirons. If it's in warranty, Dell replace whatever parts neccesary. If not, repairs would have to be paid for and that's not Dell's fault - read the Ts and Cs of sale/warranty.

Not trying to be a smart b@stard, just saying. You said it's not booting? The link refers to a problem where it will crash if pressure is applied to a certain point, how are these related?

I paraphrased it. I have the exact same problem. Pressure applied and it turns off. Moving turns it off. Turning on but no screen etc etc. Now it is totally dead.

Of course repairs would have to be paid for, but is that right?

I have linked to but 1 thread. There are literally hundreds of cases posted on message boards with this exact problem, the majority of which have happened a few months out of warranty. I'm sure there are countless more who have not posted or have paid to get it fixed. Class action suit here:http://www.lieffcabraser.com/dell-inspiron-2.htm

Maybe this sums my problem up better

"Imagine spending $2,000 on a laptop, using it for a little over a year — until just after the warranty expires — then having it quit, and you can’t restart it.

Then, the manufacturer says it will cost you $179 to diagnose the problem, as though you’re the first customer to have such a thing happen. But in fact it’s happened to many, many others, as the manufacturer well knows. Then, you learn repairs could cost as much as $500.

This is what’s reportedly been going on with people who bought Dell Inspiron 5150 laptops. It’s exactly the kind of thing that leads to class action lawsuits.

There’s no issue about people misusing or damaging their pricey portables. And any reasonable person would agree two grand should buy a decade or more of faithful service, not just 14 months or so. By all accounts, the problem occurs because of a fatal flaw in the design and/or construction of these laptops. "

A search of "Dell 5150 power problem" on google and you will see that I am not making this up....

I'm not arguing, it's a crappy situation, but legally Dell have honoured their obligations. It's like people that call us and haven't bought an extended warranty, have the standard, free, 90 day warranty and then threaten legal action when they're told they'll have to pay for repair a year after buying it.

Now, admittedly, this does seem to be widespread. I hadn't heard of it before. Make enough noise and they'll probably fix it for you but technically I think this is more of a good-customer-service issue than a legal issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

This is what annoys the pants off me about electronic goods and the people that make them This is not just a swipe at dell (i'm a proud owner of a 9300), but you say that the standard warranty is 90 days and after thta you're left on your own, well thats absolute BS. Do you think that the reasonable expectation one can have of the lifespan of a laptop is 90 days. If people knew their consumer rights they would know that if your laptop broke down for no apparent reason after 6 monthst that Dell can't legally fob you off saying that your only covered for 90 days.

Why have a 90 day warranty option then? I'm sure the legal department did their research to make sure it was kosher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

WexCan wrote:
    Why have a 90 day warranty option then? I'm sure the legal department did their research to make sure it was kosher.

So they can fob people off who don't know their rights.

BTW It may be kosher in the US but not here as the product is covered by a 12 month warranty by LAW which cannot be signed away no matter what conditions Dell want to put on their site.

In the UK the situation is even better with the vendor having to prove that defects like these are not inherent, this covers distance selling (Dell, Komplett, Dabs you name it they're covered) and High street shops but of course the Party of Failure and the PayDays (if you speak french then you'll enjoy that one) have been dragging their knuckles on the ground over this so we haven't got the same protection.... YET. Will prob have to look to EU to get this brought in.:rolleyes:

Do you have something to back up the 12 month warranty by law?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

WexCan wrote:
    Do you have something to back up the 12 month warranty by law?
    In the sale of any goods, there is an "implied" warranty whereby the seller must honour repairs and parts for a "reasonable period" after the sale.

It's generally accepted that for electronic goods, a "reasonable period" is 8-12 months.

But if the buyer knowingly enters into a contract where the warranty period is not implied, but rather set at 90 days, surely that would override it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

WexCan wrote:
    But if the buyer knowingly enters into a contract where the warranty period is not implied, but rather set at 90 days, surely that would override it?
    Edit, sorry I'm incorrect. If the period is expressly stated, then yes, that applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Wexcan, the warranty is not the problem here. Its Dells shipping of a computer that breaks just out of warranty that is the problem. I paid €2200 for the laptop, is it right that it should be almost timed to break after 18 months?

Timed implies deliberate. There may be a lot of Dell haters out there but I very much doubt that thay'd do it that way.

Only thing to do really is talk to a tech, ask for a manager and get it escalated. a) Making enough noise might get you a repair. b) If enough people do it then they could put a proactive programme in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

I used to work for Dell aswell

You can only expect repair within the warranty you buy. Motherboards do fail regardless of the manufacturer of the product. Computer companys abviously do not advertise this as it is bad for business- but is nonetheless fact. If your buying a expensive system pay the extra for the 3 year warranty to protect your investment. It costs dell almost a grand to replace a system board within the warranty and that cost is passed on to you if you dont purchase it. I am not a Dell fanboy or anything but I used to get quite annoyed by people screaming down the phone at me about company policy in relation to out of warranty systems. On the other hand if this is a known fault you should be intitled to repair..but dell willl not admit this very easily and if their refusing the repair generally they are not aware of a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

far2gud wrote:
    I used to work for Dell aswell

You can only expect repair within the warranty you buy. Motherboards do fail regardless of the manufacturer of the product.

Not according to the Director of Consumer Affairs website
    When goods are bought the 'consumer' has a contract with the seller. Under this contract the consumer has a legal right to expect that the goods will be of merchantable quality. This means that the goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what is said about them (advertising), what they are supposed to do, their durability and their price. Goods must also be fit for their purpose: in short they must do what they are sold as being capable of doing, and they must also be as described. The description on a package must not be misleading. Goods can be described in a brochure, or orally by a salesperson. Where goods are bought on seeing a sample, they should correspond with the sample. [e.g: if a consumer buys 20 rolls of wallpaper on the basis of looking at a sample roll the remaining 19 rolls must be the same as the sample roll looked at].

A consumer cannot claim for faults specifically brought to his or her attention or for faults which should have been noticed assuming that the goods were examined.

If things go wrong who is responsible for putting them right?

The seller: -always. It is the seller who has the contract with the buyer/consumer and the seller is always responsible to the consumer.

Your rights when things go wrong.

If goods are not of merchantable quality or are not fit for their purpose or are not as described the consumer is entitled to a remedy.

If the reason for the complaint is not trivial and is discovered soon after purchase, the consumer is entitled to reject the goods and insist on a full refund provided prompt action is action is taken.

If the goods have been used for some time, or if there is undue delay in making the complaint, or if there is reason to believe that the goods have been accepted, the consumer's entitlement, at best, may be to a repair or to a partial refund.

There are no hard and fast rules as each case has to be considered on its merits.

These are the rights every customer has. Any warranty you pay for is in addition to these rights and does not override them.

Warranty
    Unless otherwise stated, Dell guarantees to you that Dell-branded Products will be free from defects for 12 months from delivery and spare parts for 90 days from installation or delivery date, whichever is the earlier. Should Product be defective within this period, Dell will repair or replace Product within a reasonable time. All reasonable care and endeavour shall be used to resolve problems within a realistic period in the circumstances. Dell manufactures and repairs using components, which are new or equivalent to new in accordance with industry standards and practice. Notebook batteries are delivered with one-year warranty (not upgradeable). Dell warranty is given in place of all implied warranties and that such implied warranties are excluded to the fullest permitted extent. Dell may revise its limited warranties from time to time but any such change will not affect products ordered by you prior to the date of such change.
    Dell does not give a warranty guarantee protection for:
    1. damage caused by incorrect installation, use, modifications or repair by any unauthorised 3rd party or yourself;
    • <LI class=point_normal>damage caused by any party (except Dell) or other external force; <LI class=point_normal>fitness for any particular purpose; <LI class=point_normal>3rd Party Products, Software and IM specified by you. You will receive the warranty or licence for these products directly from their manufacturer or licensor;
    • any instruction given by you and correctly performed by Dell.
    You must provide Dell with all reasonable courtesy, information, cooperation, facilities and access to enable Dell to perform duties, failing which Dell shall not be obliged to perform any Service or assistance. You are responsible for the removal of non Dell-supplied products during Service, the back up and confidentiality of all data in Product and all of your legal and regulatory requirements.
    Please note that your calls to Dell may be monitored for training purposes.

@HelterSkelter - there's nothing in your quote about time periods.

WexCan wrote:

No. Its the same as the shops that have a sign on the window saying "NO REFUNDS". There are certain consumer rights which the Law feels that even the consumer cannot contract out of it. This is done under the pretense of the common good. Every consumre has the right that there good will last for and objective, reasonable period. If the product fails within that period through no fault of the consumer, then it is likely that the seller is liable. how long this period actually is depends on the good itself, price etc. But in relation to a new laptop I would be pretty certain that period is not 90 days. It would be more in the region of 12-18 months.

That is all all well and good. But consumer affairs sadly are not really an issue for dell. If you read the small print they have about every eventual lawsuit covered, as well as a team of lawyers to back it up. You would be lucky to find a solicitor in the land willing to represent you. I sympathise with the situation but the only chance he has is Dell goodwill which can also be flaky at times.

Dell warranty is given in place of all implied warranties and that such implied warranties are excluded to the fullest permitted extent.

It is not permitted to exclude statuory rights so they cannot be excluded by this agrement or any agreement no matter what contract you sign. As charlie mchugh said with the no refunds signs the same applies here. Also the time periods are not stated so if Dell refuse to repair/replace it is up to the customer to take them to the small claims court (only costs the customer €9) and the judge will decide what is a fair period of time. I assume 90 days will be considered unfair.

far2gud wrote:
    That is all all well and good. But consumer affairs sadly are not really an issue for dell. If you read the small print they have about every eventual lawsuit covered, as well as a team of lawyers to back it up. You would be lucky to find a solicitor in the land willing to represent you. I sympathise with the situation but the only chance he has is Dell goodwill which can also be flaky at times.
    He doesn't need a solicitor, he can go to the small claims court for €9 (correction €15). A judge will decide who is wrong and who is right.
    http://oasis.gov.ie/justice/small_claims_court/small_claims_court.html

He doesn't need a solicitor, he can go to the small claims court for €9. A judge will decide who is wrong and who is right.
    http://oasis.gov.ie/justice/small_claims_court/small_claims_court.html

Waste of nine quid me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

They will settle if you threaten them with the small claims court.
    It will cost you €9.00 only.( Dell potentially millions )
    The court writes to them explaining that they are to appear on a due date.
    You bring in any evidence which backs your claim
    receipt etc,info from other disgruntled users ( which you can download from the web )
    Do you honestly think they will appear and make bad publicity for themselves !!!
    Michael Dell would shorten their careers abruptly were his company exposed to this kind of bad press.It just wouldnt happen. Besides they have the potential to lose millions in forgone sales
    u lose €9.00
    Its a no brainer---.
    Secondly before going down that route u should write to them explaining your dissapointment.This gives them the opportunity to put it right and shows the judge that you have done your best to get them to do the right thing.

One more thing
    my experience with Dell leads me to beleive that they will do all they can to keep a customer happy---decent crowd to deal with.
    Go for it
    Good luck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I think there's a big difference here between out-of-warranty repairs, and inherent defects. If a product fails outside the warranty period, then Dell are under no obligation to repair it free. If, however, they are knowingly selling a product which has an inherent defect, then they are breaking the law by selling laptops which they know are not of merchantable quality. While it's true that individual sales people and repair people who are dealing with the products may not all know about the problem above, it would be true to say that Dell themselves are aware of it, which leaves them with a very shaky defense in the small claims court.

tbh I'd say it'd be the other way around. People on the floor might know but the upper echelons, so to speak, might not.

I think there's a big difference here between out-of-warranty repairs, and inherent defects. If a product fails outside the warranty period, then Dell are under no obligation to repair it free.

I have to disagree with you to a certain extent. Dell cannot fob people off with a "free" 90 warranty, and if the laptop needs repair outside of that period then you're on your own? I find it very hard to believe that this would comply with the Sale of Goods And Supply of Services Act 1980. If Dell weren"t so cheap they would realise that the minimum "free " warranty they should be giving on new laptops is at least 12 months.

How is Dell "fobbing" people off? They're providing an inexpensive option to bring down the cost of their products. People are made well aware that the warranty peoriod is 90 days. This is the contract that the company has entered into with the buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

WexCan wrote:
    How is Dell "fobbing" people off? They're providing an inexpensive option to bring down the cost of their products. People are made well aware that the warranty peoriod is 90 days. This is the contract that the company has entered into with the buyer.

Anyone in the know that can actually clear this up with fact.

If you buy a desktop with Dell 90 day warranty, on the 91st day if the hard drive fails they are not obliged to replace it. Is this true or bogus under Irish consumer law.

(you do get 1-2 weeks grace period after warranty expires)

WexCan wrote:
    (you do get 1-2 weeks grace period after warranty expires)

That's official?

You get 104 days warranty. Dell ovbiously have covered themselves, how is it not in conflict with 12 month warranty, do you know? Would be nice to clear that up too.

With all warranty periods you get 1-2 weeks grace period. It's a generally accepted thing on the floor.

When the customer buys a 90 day warranty that overrides the 1 year warranty as stated in the Ts and Cs.

• Advertisement

WexCan wrote:
    With all warranty periods you get 1-2 weeks grace period. It's a generally accepted thing on the floor.

When the customer buys a 90 day warranty that overrides the 1 year warranty as stated in the Ts and Cs.

Fair play to you, for arguement sake so, if you sign up fro 90 days that's all your going to get (excluding grace period).

You wave your right to a standard 12 month warranty. I wonder has this ever been contested?

Advertisement