Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW's new TSI engine

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

No complaints about the alarm anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Seen two of these over the weekend, one on the road it was the 140bhp with TS and a red "i" and also seen the GT parked outside synotts in Wicklow.

The 140bhp seemed to have plenty of poke in it, it hissed away as someone in a punto tried to undertake it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Bit pricey though, the list price for a 1.4TSI DSG GT is about €32K before delivery etc, sure a GTi is only €5K approx more..
    I dunno.

I thought it was cool at first but a supercharger with a turbo charger with all the extra bits in between to make them work together is just asking for trouble.

Personally I would avoid it until the engine is a bit more mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭JoeA3

yeah, there's 5 grand between a GTI and a 1.4TSI. As well as the nice GTI styling bits, the GTI is also much better equipped.
    This makes the TSI look very expensive in my eyes.... it's still a 1.4 and when you go to sell it in 3 years that's exactly what the salesman will tell you too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's stupidly expensive for a 1.4 and whilst I agree that Clarkson "bigs it up" to be controversial and sell papers, he must geniunely have thought the engine a poor one.

He has nothing bad to say about the Golf GTI, infact he's a big fan.

If the power delivery of the TSI is even half as jerky and progressive as he suggests, it'll be a massive shame as theis engine nad technology appeared perfect for the Irish market.

How can a almost 170 GT badged hot hatch be overtaken by a van?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

[QUOTE=

How can a almost 170 GT badged hot hatch be overtaken by a van?[/QUOTE]

VW have a van out with the 2.0TDI 140 bhp engine, if it was remapped to 170bhp and empty the thing would fly, with the available power most cars would find it very hard to keep up.

Advertisement