Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless People with Mobiles

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Giblet wrote:
    I still dunno where this 120 euro thing comes from.

exactly, where DO they get it.

But seriously. The price of a new pair of air max I think is where it started.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It could have been from someone who knew them, maybe they stole them, who knows. What's the real issue though? Are you offended by someone on the street asking for money when they have new shoes on. I'd be offended if say, they got up and went home. If the price to pay for wearing those runners is SLEEPING ON THE GOD DAMN STREET, I tend to look the other way.

Giblet wrote:
    It could have been from someone who knew them, maybe they stole them, who knows. What's the real issue though? Are you offended by someone on the street asking for money when they have new shoes on. I'd be offended if say, they got up and went home. If the price to pay for wearing those runners is SLEEPING ON THE GOD DAMN STREET, I tend to look the other way.

Well that's you choice so. Mine is to not support people continueing to beg/harass people for money to keep themselves in fashion/non nessecities. I have no problem helping someonewho needs it, but I wont help someone who just wants money and to be able to continue asking for free money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Blue Peter wrote:
    They find it hard to get landlines

Ha ha ha thats what i was thinking, and with all the tax free
    money to be made from begging why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Giblet wrote:
    the price to pay for wearing those runners is SLEEPING ON THE GOD DAMN STREET

No I'm guessing the prive of the runner is about €100/120, and what I'm saying is, why not use the €120 euro to do something more constructive. I'm not condemning homeless peple for having nice shoes, I hope they enjoy them, but surely they'd want to stop being homeless at some point, and €120 would be helpful in achieveing that?

Also, if people disagree with that, aren't they kind of saying we should reward stupidity?

• Advertisement

No I'm guessing the prive of the runner is about €100/120, and what I'm saying is, why not use the €120 euro to do something more constructive. I'm not condemning homeless peple for having nice shoes, I hope they enjoy them, but surely they'd want to stop being homeless at some point, and €120 would be helpful in achieveing that?

Also, if people disagree with that, aren't they kind of saying we should reward stupidity?

Well without knowing all the facts, you can hardly call someone stupid now really. Anyway, I'm moving this to Humanities, the immature people posting their comments in an otherwise "mature" discussion isn't helping.

Oh, and I suggest finding somewhere else to buy your runners if they all cost 120 euro.

I hardly think that was an immature point. I've said I don't begrudge homeless people whatever comforts they have, but I'm also pointing out that if you have the money for nike runners/mobiles wouldn't that money be better spent on finding a job, somewhere to stay for a few nights, and so on.

All runners don't cost €120, but a pair of Nike runners is around that figure, and sicne it was Nike runners that were mentioned earlier in teh thread that's the benchmark being used

http://www.oxygen.ie/books/books_nologo.php3

I didn't mean your post. MrSinn I meant. And without knowing exactly how they obtained these things, you can't really make judgements about them.

But i can point out that if someone, who is homeless, and presumably has very little money, (since they're homeless), then it makes very little sense for them to spend what is a large sum of money on expensive items such as nike runners/mobile phones.

Giblet wrote:
    I didn't mean your post. MrSinn I meant. And without knowing exactly how they obtained these things, you can't really make judgements about them.

Well you suggested they may have been stolen. Why should we reward thieves with free money?

• Advertisement

I doubt they think they're being rewarded. I know you yourself may be gifted with a strong moral fibre, but when you live on the streets you aren't so steadfast in such beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I don't know if has been mentioned but drug dealers now use phones as contact. The mobile phones are used to contact your dealer. It is the same as them having a needle.
    All the other reasons are fair but that is the main reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

Do you honestly think a homeless dude walks into Champion sports covered in his own filth and says "alright bud giz yer best pair o air maxxxxx wil yee" and hands over 120 quid? dont be fu*king daft lads.... the lads with the mobile phones and expensive runners are "tappers"...beggars....they beg during the day to get enough for gear and go home clean themselfs up...i know lads from around my way that did this for years.....real homeless people do not have brand new air max..get a grip of yourselfs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

MarinoMark wrote:
    If they have an apple in their hand...they are not hungry..dont give them any money....If they are in a porch they are not homeless...Dont give them any money....Jesus prepaid mobiles are easy to get, maybe you dont have credit but most hostels/agencies have a freephone number to get you a bed for the night....That has to be the most selfish uneducated remark I have read on boards in a long long time...Sad !
    What are you talking about? How are my comments 'selfish' and 'uneducated'? Did you even read my post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

MarinoMark wrote:
    I have always wondered how homeless people charge up their phones :confused:
    Maybe in hostels or in a resturant or something. I used to always charge my phone in work or school.Scabby i know but hey its free electricity!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Teach them all smoke signals and let them strap roughly hewn strips of leather to their feet with supeglue, or go barefoot, the ingrates.

toffeapple wrote:
    Do you honestly think a homeless dude walks into Champion sports covered in his own filth and says "alright bud giz yer best pair o air maxxxxx wil yee" and hands over 120 quid? dont be fu*king daft lads.... the lads with the mobile phones and expensive runners are "tappers"...beggars....they beg during the day to get enough for gear and go home clean themselfs up...i know lads from around my way that did this for years.....real homeless people do not have brand new air max..get a grip of yourselfs

Junkies steal to feed habits, then they need to sell what they steal, runners and phones will go for a fraction of their retail price when someone is getting sick...so get a grip :rolleyes:

<edit> getting sick is a euphemism for heroin withdrawal for the uninitiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

So what i am saying is that these guys/girls, maybe they want to be homeless..thats its actually a choice that they have made, like your friend.. and that they are comfortable living like this..

Sometimes its without any choice
    Sometimes yes it is a choice, but one choosen with a very limited number of options
    I've never heard of some one "comfortable" being homeless, I don't think its possible in those circumstances to be physically comfortable.

Some mayy well find so psychological comfort, despite their situation, feeling its better/safer/saner that what they left behind. The modern world can be an extra ordinary hard reality to live with. dysfunctional families and relationship can be your worst image of hell.

I dont doubt some peole end up homeless for less than noble reasons, or some flaw in their character, but I'd still not judge any other person. Each individual has a story, and unless you knkow the story, and the limites of the tools available to them to deal with "life" either try be sympathic and helpful, or disregard them if you choose, but the criticisms and judgements are more a reflection on yourselves.

I've known homeless people. I know I personally would of found great solace (and more sleep) knowing they had a mobile so were some how reachable. Leaving aside drug issues, have you any empathy with a parent who can't have her son/daughter at home but has not a moments rest wondering are they safe and well. Knowing they are reachable, locatable is a great thing.

A friend of mine when missing for 3 weeks, it was the most painful draining experience of my life.

A part solution might be when you can see some one struggling see is there even a little thing you can do to help. I've given shelter/home to some one in the past, but that was a special situation, other epople who only lent an ear, or a meal, or facilitated return to education also helped.

When you wonder how they can afford phones, or how the charge them wonder also: what do they do when they develop chest infections and are incapacitated, how do they protect themselves from violent people that we never need know exist, how long has it been since they received a present, or fellt clean and bright in new clothes, what exactly did they get, or give, this christmas, - you cold ask them what stale food, or other peoples half eaten taeaway tastes like, or how they manage when the cold is so invasive they can't warm any part of themselves, or how cruel life has been that this is there life, what terrible situation did they endure til it broke them,

and then theres the older lonely homelss man/woman, with no social contact, no difference in one day and the next........

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Junkies steal to feed habits, then they need to sell what they steal, runners and phones will go for a fraction of their retail price when someone is getting sick...so get a grip :rolleyes:

<edit> getting sick is a euphemism for heroin withdrawal for the uninitiated.

I know a lot more about this than you think...so don't presume to be some authority on all things "junkie" ..not all them can steal cos their well known and begging is an easy number...and if ya wont to know how i know this you can PM me and i fill you in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

toffeapple - keep it civil or be banned

• Advertisement

MiCr0 wrote:
    toffeapple - keep it civil or be banned

point taken..got a bit heated.sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

Well that's you choice so. Mine is to not support people continueing to beg/harass people for money to keep themselves in fashion/non nessecities. I have no problem helping someonewho needs it, but I wont help someone who just wants money and to be able to continue asking for free money.

my point in a nutshell! bar the harrassing thing...i ahve never really been harrassed by a beggar/homeless person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

adonis wrote:
    my point in a nutshell! bar the harrassing thing...i ahve never really been harrassed by a beggar/homeless person.

Its better not to give beggers money directly at all since most are drug addicts and use the money for drugs (don't ever believe someone if they tell you they need money for a "hostel").

If someone feels they want to help homeless people they should donate money to the many homeless charities, since you know the money is going to actually help people.

As for beggers with mobile phones, a) you can get a second hand mobile phone for €10, hardly a "luxary" item, b) why would anyone care?

The problem is ( I hope I speak with toffeeapples permission here :rolleyes:) that the money will HAVE to come from somewhere, by giving them the money you would in a lot of cases facilitate the one crime of drug taking but possibly prevent the theft of a handbag, the smashing of a car window or a counter jumpover, giving the few quid is a much lesser evil IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement