Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless People with Mobiles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah jesus, for the price of a mobile phone you could buy a house or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

I see stekelly has george best as a sig...Anagram of same is "go get beers" or
    "eg.get sober" Ironic or what ? Wonder did he have a mobile ? Probably sold it for a drink !!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

adonis wrote:
    do you think that homeless people / beggars should have mobile phones?
    To check their stock options?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

When I was in Jamacia a couple of years ago it was pretty wierd to see seemingly impoverished people living in shanty towns but with mobile phones.

supplied by our very own Denis O'Brien! (through his company called Digicel)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

BaZmO* wrote:
    :D

To the OP. Every homeless person's situation is different so you can't really generalise. If you've got a problem with a homeless person with a mobile phone, it's actually none of your business.
    However, if you've got a problem with a beggar with a mobile phone there's a simple solution to that one......just don't give them any money.

tbh hes right.. im not afraid to say it but i was homeless for 3 yerars and im borderline again.. i had a fone.. it was to ring my mates and try get a floor to sleep on or to ring one of our fine homless units that do **** all.. i had it coz ive always had one and it helped me feel somewhat human.. i was a tapper as well but only off the goths round the bank.. at the end ot the day im a human being and i didnt do gear.. believe me not all gear heads are wankersss. some people you would be shocked coz they take the drug full stop n you wouldnt expect them to...
    **** happens to the best of us and we just gotta get back up after being knocked down and keep going..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

adonis wrote:
    Ok,
    so im gonna sound like a nazi...but do you think that homeless people / beggars should have mobile phones?
    i mean its a luxury item really, and over the last two days i have seen to irish guys sitting down begging on their mobile phone!!!! its a little rich in my eyes...
    surely they could put the money towards getting themselves a foothold in society as we know it, and not be begging on the street?
    or maybe it just goes to prove that homelessness / begging is actually a state of mind and not a compulsion!

It's actually none of your business whatsoever who has a mobile phone or who doesn't. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Doctor Fell

Stekelly wrote:
    Who are they to harass me by sitting beside an atm begging while im taking out money.

Hold on, we are talking about fellow humans here. People who are homeless are people who obviously need help, probably the most vulnerable group in society. It's amazing the way they are despised, judging by some of the comments. They need help, not scorn, and besides there is no reason to scorn or laugh at people who need help. Most of the comments are so idiotic and ignorant - like the above. Who are they? Who are u to be such a snob? And to answer OP, u do sound like a Nazi - in fact people like SteKelly, I wonder would they support some sort of Nazi-like round up of homeless people? Probably...
    Oh yeah, and why should you decide what possessions they have? And besides, what are u doing to do about it??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MarinoMark wrote:
    I have always wondered how homeless people charge up their phones :confused:

Maybe at hostels?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

I saw a homeless guy begging on o' connell street playing an Xbox 360 (multiplayer) with his junkie mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

supplied by our very own Denis O'Brien! (through his company called Digicel)

DOB has almost run At&T out of town in jamacia. He has a unique bussiness model. Jamaca has very high emmigration,very high poverty and a landline penetration of 12-15%. But very few people in actually pay to run the mobiles. The majority of phones are topped up by Friends and family who have emigrated and have no other way of getting in contact with there family. It's all done over the net so next to no overheads.

I dont know if this is what is happening on the streets. But I do thing it's a luxery item, A friend of mine has been living rough of rthe last year. I have tried to get help him. But he wont have it. He just moves to a differant area where he thinks I wont find him. The one thing I've learned is not to give him miney it normally goes on drugs or booze, Instead I give him food directky or bring him to a hostel ehrn hr'll let me a pay for him for a few nights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

adonis wrote:
    So what i am saying is that these guys/girls, maybe they want to be homeless..thats its actually a choice that they have made, like your friend.. and that they are comfortable living like this..

Are you serious? I'm finding it hard to believe that you actually believe the above and not just trying to rile people.

The Simon Community, who work with homeless people in Ireland, give the reasons as to why people become homeless. You'll note that a love of homelessness is not on the list. Granted Simon probably don't have your grasp of the problem - you should give them a call to share your deeper understanding of what's really going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yes I would have thought homeless people were ideal candidates for needing a mobile phone. Just because you don't have an address doesn't mean you're no longer a human being.
    MrSinn wrote:
    Some of the ringtones homeless people might have

Momma im coming home - Ozzy Osbourne
    Bring it on home - Led Zepplin
    Please take me home - Blink 182
    Nobodys home - Avril Lavigne
    Sweet home Alabama - Lynard Skynard
    Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant

Nah I think you'll find "Living in a Box" by "Living in a Box" is the only logical choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Forget about the mobile phones - I want to know how they afford those lovely nike runners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

dublindude wrote:
    Forget about the mobile phones - I want to know how they afford those lovely nike runners!

what the fack are you people going on about? are you envious of a guy cos he lives on the street and has Nikes?? what kind off twisted logic is this.
    do you see someone driving a merc and wonder whether they deserve to own it?
    if you disagree with begging dont give them money..dont question there lifestlye or their meger gatherings
    I could say "hey those students shouldnt be drinking they need their money for books...isnt that what the grant is for?

You guys make me laugh, to begrude homeless people with runners and mobile phones.

Who is begrudging? Who is envious?

Stop trying to look for things that aren't there.

adonis is talking (obviously) tongue in cheek, and obviously it is ridiculous for a homeless person to be wearing runners which cost him €120.

Go on, call me a racist. I know you want to!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

dublindude wrote:
    Who is begrudging? Who is envious?

Stop trying to look for things that aren't there.

adonis is talking (obviously) tongue in cheek, and obviously it is ridiculous for a homeless person to be wearing runners which cost him €120.

Go on, call me a racist. I know you want to!!

why is it ridiculous? why do you care? its not tongue and cheek either... i wouldnt say your a racist...just ignorant to these issues.

toffeapple wrote:
    why is it ridiculous? why do you care? its not tongue and cheek either... i wouldnt say your a racist...just ignorant to these issues.

LOL! How am I ignorant to the issues?? Because I think a homeless person should have his priorities straight and think more about getting off the street than wearing the latest fashion?

You sound a bit ridiculous to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

Chill boys

MrSinn wrote:
    Chill boys

LOL :) Is it my imagination or did you post this earlier??? (could be my imagination, I'm having a strange day...)

• Advertisement

I did but why do people always have to bitch with each other over the smallest thing

MrSinn wrote:
    I did but why do people always have to bitch with each other over the smallest thing

Well, I'm smiling as I type. I find the ridiculous finger pointing on boards.ie hilarious.

Oh, you're an idiot!
    You racist!
    You predjudice!

LOL.

dublindude wrote:
    Well, I'm smiling as I type. I find the ridiculous finger pointing on boards.ie hilarious.

Oh, you're an idiot!
    You racist!
    You predjudice!

LOL.

Did anyone call you that in this thread? Why would you think I would call you a racist? Am I too PC? Maybe you should think before you type and stop talking crap. Oh, and €120 for a mobile phone? I'm glad he asked him how much he paid before posting this thread or are you spouting nonsense... Please don't play the "hurrr PC brigade" crap with me thanks, you have no basis for it. I'm still wondering why a homeless person with a phone or runners is so unbelieveable, every person and their granny have one. Would you rather he spent his money on a bindle stick and hobo gloves? I think you are thinking about it too much. Try not to, they have enough on their plates without you "worrying" about them.

Bear in mind a "?" denotes a question and not an accusation or finger pointing. I think it's funny how people keep saying that everyone is too PC, while this whole "are you going to call me a racist" crap is ignored. It's just as stupid, and adds nothing to an argument. So LOL all you want there chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hold on, we are talking about fellow humans here. People who are homeless are people who obviously need help, probably the most vulnerable group in society. It's amazing the way they are despised, judging by some of the comments. They need help, not scorn, and besides there is no reason to scorn or laugh at people who need help. Most of the comments are so idiotic and ignorant - like the above. Who are they? Who are u to be such a snob? And to answer OP, u do sound like a Nazi - in fact people like SteKelly, I wonder would they support some sort of Nazi-like round up of homeless people? Probably...
    Oh yeah, and why should you decide what possessions they have? And besides, what are u doing to do about it??

You hang on. If I want to give money to charity I'll go find a charity to give money to. I dont need people in their brand new nike air max sitting at my feet at an atm begging for money. They are at atm sin the hope that the odd person in 10 will take an extra tenner out and give it to them as its the lowest note available. I dont appreciate being pressured to give money and wouldnt appreciiate my Girlfriend/sister/mother feeling intimidated and that they could be in danger if they dont give somethign even though they dont want to .

Giblet wrote:
    Would you rather he spent his money on a bindle stick and hobo gloves? I think you are thinking about it too much. .

I'd rather he used the money for either not being homeless or buying whatever it is he's begging money off me for.

Giblet wrote:
    Did anyone call you that in this thread? Why would you think I would call you a racist? Am I too PC? Maybe you should think before you type and stop talking crap. Oh, and €120 for a mobile phone? I'm glad he asked him how much he paid before posting this thread or are you spouting nonsense... Please don't play the "hurrr PC brigade" crap with me thanks, you have no basis for it. I'm still wondering why a homeless person with a phone or runners is so unbelieveable, every person and their granny have one. Would you rather he spent his money on a bindle stick and hobo gloves? I think you are thinking about it too much. Try not to, they have enough on their plates without you "worrying" about them.

Bear in mind a "?" denotes a question and not an accusation or finger pointing. I think it's funny how people keep saying that everyone is too PC, while this whole "are you going to call me a racist" crap is ignored. It's just as stupid, and adds nothing to an argument. So LOL all you want there chief.
    Dude go and fight with your sister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

toffeapple wrote:
    These people are know as "tappers"... even amongst junkies this is seen as the lowest thing to do...they dont tend to be homeless just junk bags who couldnt be bothered stealing...real homeless people despise them
    man i love your sig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Stekelly wrote:
    I'd rather he used the money for either not being homeless or buying whatever it is he's begging money off me for.

rotflmfao oh god, make it stop!! Seriously, best statement ever, how would that go though?

Bank manager: What'll it be today sir?
    Hobo: Oh I'd like to invest this €120 in shares of "not being homeless" please, I read on an internet forum that it'd be a better way to spend this money than Nike shoes.
    Bank manager: Teh internet machine you say....they said that....seriously?

ok, sorry, I digress, that's just brilliant though. My only qualm with homeless guys having mobiles/nike runners/other signs of affluence is why are they begging for money to spend on luxury items? €120 could be used to stay in a hostle for a few nights with some meals, and the chance to go looking for a job etc etc

Granted having a mobile could be a gift from someone, or their only connection to society. I'm not even stating this as a grievance they're obviously free to spend the money i give them however they please, but a mobile or expensive runners just seems a bit stupid to me.

MrSinn wrote:
    Dude go and fight with your sister

Off topic. Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rotflmfao oh god, make it stop!! Seriously, best statement ever, how would that go though?

Bank manager: What'll it be today sir?
    Hobo: Oh I'd like to invest this €120 in shares of "not being homeless" please, I read on an internet forum that it'd be a better way to spend this money than Nike shoes.
    Bank manager: Teh internet machine you say....they said that....seriously?

ok, sorry, I digress, that's just brilliant though. My only qualm with homeless guys having mobiles/nike runners/other signs of affluence is why are they begging for money to spend on luxury items? €120 could be used to stay in a hostle for a few nights with some meals, and the chance to go looking for a job etc etc

Granted having a mobile could be a gift from someone, or their only connection to society. I'm not even stating this as a grievance they're obviously free to spend the money i give them however they please, but a mobile or expensive runners just seems a bit stupid to me.

The simpler version of that rant would be to book into a hostle for the lenght of time €120 allows. Last time I was at a bus stop I think the guy asking me for hostle money said it was €7 a night or something.

*I didnt read past the first paragraph before replying, hence it being similar to the third paragraph, but thats what I was getting at*

• Advertisement

I still dunno where this 120 euro thing comes from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement