Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weightloss

Options
  • 31-01-2006 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Folks, I need some advice. I am a female in the process of losing weight and getting fit. I have completely changed my diet, all bad things are gone and I have started walking 6 miles a night. I am doing light weights also and pilates class.

Everything is going great apart from one little thing, one week I can lose 1lb and then the next week I can lose 5lbs and so it goes like that. I am just wondering why this is. The 1lb weightloss in one week is definitely not down to cheating or accidents, because I have been very strict. Its a bit depressing after a wekk of working your arse off to see only 1lb. :(

if I know what it is I'll be happy :confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

When do you weigh yourself?

How much water do you drink? Is there any chance that you may be weighing yourself sometimes straight after a class or a walk of a good workout without having rehydrated?

Not sure if you would be working hard enough to lose 4 lbs of water but maybe?

Is the time you eat your last meal before you weight yourself any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

First of, fair play for getting your diet and exercise regime in order so well and I'm glad to see you're reaping the benefits too :)

As you're female, one of the most common and likely causes for the fluctuating weight loss is your menstrual cycle. Women can lose and gain up to 6-7lbs every month as a result of the body retaining water. I know its certainly true for me and so when I do my weigh-ins I make them for the week dierctly after my period when I know I'll be at my lightest. This will influence your weight loss too- you'll lose different amounts every week according to where in your cycle you are.

But its quite normal to lose weight in varying increments, plus you'll find that the closer you get to being a 'healthy' weight, you're weight loss may slow down quite a lot, even reach a plateau. If and when that happens you may need to make a couple of changes to your eating habits of exercise- do something different to 'shock' your body back into working harder. How close to your goal weight are you now?

Man, there is some stuff i wish i didn't know.

I can now add this to that list. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Dragan your so old fashioned

op: 1-2 lbs loss is ideal anymore then that and your not losing fat

Yes, yes i am.

I prefert the term rustic however. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

LOL @ Dragan!

I weight myself Saturday mornings right after I wake up, and before I eat. Am seriously considering burying the scales in the garden for six months.

We have a water bottle in the office and I drink about 7-10 .2 L glasses a day. Then in the evening I'll probably have two pints of water after my walk home with my dinner. Then I dont eat or drink anything till the next day.

In the mornings I am up at 6 and have porridge with hot water and lemon then I have a half hour walk to catch bus.

I've lost 2 stone so far and about 2 and a half away from target.

I know that a loss is a loss its just head wrecking to see the loses fluctuating. Am thinking of starting cycling on weekends. Cycling or gym which is more beneficial??

LOL @ Rustic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

Once a week wouldn't seem to be enough to see the trend properly - and that's what you want to see, the trend of weight loss. Weigh in every morning before eating, and jot down the weight. The variance morning to morning will be surprising. You have to ignore the individual weights though, they're influenced by water retention and other stuff, like people have said. Now, if you plotted the weights you're recording, you'd see the weight loss quite visibly.

The Hackers Diet covers this really well: http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/hackdiet.html - the chapter headed 'Signal & Noise' covers a simple way to plot the moving average and ignore the individual weights. It even has an Excel sheet to do it for you, you just put the numbers in.

TheGooner wrote:
    Cycling or gym which is more beneficial??
    Tbh, go to the gym and do a weights program. You said you're already doing a 'light' weights workout.. wonder just how 'light' that is...

First and foremost- you will NOT bulk up if you lift heavy weights. I promise. Women are just not genetically capable of bulking up, we have totally different levels of hormones i.e. testosterone needed to make us look like Arnie (all those women you see in bodybuilding comps? Soooo not natural, its as a result of taking additional steroids/ hormones).

Muscle is an active tissue, that is, your body uses calories just to keep muscle tissue alive and well. Fat jsut sits there, doing nothing. Therefore, the more muscle mass you have, the higher metabolism is, and the quicker you burn off carbs and fats you eat. Lifting little weights will do very little for you. If you can do over 15 reps of a weight, its not heavy enough. If you're struggling to finish off 12, much better.

Muscle is also heavier than fat, much heavier. So the more muscle you gain, the heavier you'll be. Sounds a bit pants doesn't it??!? Put it this way, I lift heavy, and according to the BMI I'm obese, but that's because I have so much more muscle in my body compared to fat. I'm slimmer than I have been for a long long time, and clothes have never fitted me better- in fact I've gone down over a clothes size int eh last year, ever since I started training hard. I do both weights and cardio (to keep my weight down).

So... the short version of that long winded answer is.. do weights :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

g'em wrote:
    First and foremost- you will NOT bulk up if you lift heavy weights. I promise. Women are just not genetically capable of bulking up, we have totally different levels of hormones i.e. testosterone needed to make us look like Arnie (all those women you see in bodybuilding comps? Soooo not natural, its as a result of taking additional steroids/ hormones).

gem i reckon the above should probaly be your signature

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote:
    Man, there is some stuff i wish i didn't know.

I can now add this to that list. :eek:
    Trust me, when it comes to any man's 'what is don't know about women' list, it gets too long too quick. Wallow in ignorance, way easier. :p

gem i reckon the above should probaly be your signature
    :D tell me about it. Or at least someone can back me up.. Dragan, oh ye of little understanding of women.. am I bulky?

Not all!!! Great nick, fantastic back and shoulders. :D

Any woman would be proud to look like ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭RobEire

TheGooner wrote:
    Folks, I need some advice. I am a female in the process of losing weight and getting fit. I have completely changed my diet, all bad things are gone and I have started walking 6 miles a night. I am doing light weights also and pilates class.

Everything is going great apart from one little thing, one week I can lose 1lb and then the next week I can lose 5lbs and so it goes like that. I am just wondering why this is. The 1lb weightloss in one week is definitely not down to cheating or accidents, because I have been very strict. Its a bit depressing after a wekk of working your arse off to see only 1lb. :(

if I know what it is I'll be happy :confused:

Thanks

If you have the willpower, try www.lipotrim.demon.co.uk - I am doing this diet through the pharmacy in Blanch Shopping Centre - losing an average of 2kg a week.

There is a natural variation in the amount of weight you will lose anyway, so don't lose courage if a week here and there shows up little if any weightloss.

Dragan wrote:

:o thanks dude.

So, OP, seriously, seriously, seriously, weights will tone you up, improve your posture, and helps to get rid of all the saggy wobbly bits. It makes a huge difference with clothes (bring on summer-time and halterneck season :p ). The walking is grand for cardio and maybe as you get fitter you could try jogging or doing some higher intensity spinning classes (a killer but sooo effective) or aerobics classes. These will burn up cals fine, but for long term maintenance of all that hard work, weights is the way to go.

g'em wrote:
    :o thanks dude.

So, OP, seriously, seriously, seriously, weights will tone you up, improve your posture, and helps to get rid of all the saggy wobbly bits. It makes a huge difference with clothes (bring on summer-time and halterneck season :p ). The walking is grand for cardio and maybe as you get fitter you could try jogging or doing some higher intensity spinning classes (a killer but sooo effective) or aerobics classes. These will burn up cals fine, but for long term maintenance of all that hard work, weights is the way to go.

Thanks g'em. When I said light weights I meant there heavy and I don't spend ages doing them. They are just dumb bells that we had in the house 11lb each. I was more worried I'd injure myself doing them rather than having a jaw line like Arnie :o So...........with my 11lb weights what kind of exercises should I be doing?

TheGooner wrote:
    with my 11lb weights what kind of exercises should I be doing?
    With 5kg (11lb) dumbells you'll be very limited in what you can do. Different areas of your body are stronger than others and so 5kg will be too heavy for some parts, too light for others. You'd be much better to have a good instructor show you how to use the weights in the gym- once you know how to lift the weights properly and execute all your exercises right there's really no chance of injuring yourself. You need to maintain good 'form' when you lift- that is, hold your body and your posture in such a way that it minimises stress. Poor form will casue you to use muscles that you aren't actually targeting in that particular exercise and can encourage weakness as opposed to strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Gea Johnson prefers 120kg (265lbs) weights. Of course, it being her job to lift the heaviest weights she possibly can, she innevitably became big and bulky;
    http://www.geajohnson.com/lifting.asp

definitely don't want to be bulky :D

t-ha wrote:
    Gea Johnson prefers 120kg (265lbs) weights. Of course, it being her job to lift the heaviest weights she possibly can, she innevitably became big and bulky;
    http://www.geajohnson.com/lifting.asp

She not so big and bulky.

She is fine as hell though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dragan wrote:
    She not so big and bulky.

She is fine as hell though. :D

Yeah, I was expecting some sort of she-hulk to be honest.....she looks nice!

And I'm just gonna throw this out there.....I thought g'em was a guy :o :v:

HavoK wrote:
    thought g'em was a guy :o :v:

:eek: Yeowsa! *takes cover*

HavoK wrote:
    And I'm just gonna throw this out there.....I thought g'em was a guy :o :v:
    what in the what now?? :confused:

Edited to allow me some time to gather my thoughts and the boiling blood to return to normal body temp.

Ah so the lack of a hulky, bulky, masculine signature complete with gun-totin hero but presence of a very female vixen avatar was what confused ye was it??? ;)

HavoK wrote:
    Yeah, I was expecting some sort of she-hulk to be honest.....she looks nice!
    yeah sorry about that, it was pretty much the point of the post - it's hard to pull off sarcasm properly online :D

g'em wrote:
    what in the what now?? :confused:

The avatar featuring a furry animal and the color pink should have been a good indication but for some reason, just automatically assumed you were a guy.....I'm sure you look every bit the woman though :D

I eagerly follow all your advice though.....honest! :)

HavoK wrote:
    The avatar featuring a furry animal and the color pink should have been a good indication but for some reason, just automatically assumed you were a guy.....I'm sure you look every bit the woman though :D

I eagerly follow all your advice though.....honest! :)
    This might have given it away too...:D
    g'em wrote:
    Women can lose and gain up to 6-7lbs every month as a result of the body retaining water. I know its certainly true for me and so when I do my weigh-ins I make them for the week dierctly after my period when I know I'll be at my lightest.
    ...or maybe you should quit hanging around with mr(s) garrison so much (that's a southpark reference in case no-one picks it up :) )

Havok wrote:
    I'm sure you look every bit the woman though

damn right I do....
    Dragan wrote:

(sorry dude, gonna drag that up at any and every opportunity ;) )

t-ha wrote:
    This might have given it away too...:D
    fabulous.... :D

t-ha, that was the exact minute I realised g'em was in fact a woman! Had she not posted that very interesting post about female body patterns I may have never realised....! :eek:

Althought that woulda made it mighty strange to see Dragen complimenting someone I thought was a man on their lovely back and shoulders.....:v:

• Advertisement

HavoK wrote:
    t-ha, that was the exact minute I realised g'em was in fact a woman! Had she not posted that very interesting post about female body patterns I may have never realised....! :eek:
    why i oughta.. :p

I'm in half a mind to deadlift you over to the Thunderdome but I see that LeRack is already proving to be more than enough for abuse material over there.. god that thread just cracks me up, all 30-something pages of it...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054857869

Advertisement