Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Java hard to learn?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

If you want to learn do the following:
    Download the propper Jdk: JDK.
    Download what ever ide you want to use if any: Intellijidea:)
    The use the following to get started: Java tutorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

py2006 wrote:
    Thanks for that, they look kinda out of date though?

They are a few years out of date but probably ok for learning the basics - but they are also free !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Eclipse is a program that is used to write Java applications in. It has a lot of features that allow programmers to work effeciently, but a program like this isn't the best starting point for a beginner.

No, it's not. Eclipse is a platform. It's most common incarnation is as a development environment. However, the RCP illustrates that it really isn't just that. In fact, IBM's Workplace uses Eclipse as the rich client and that doesn't look at all like the usual IDE we all know and love or hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

bpmurray wrote:
    No, it's not. Eclipse is a platform. It's most common incarnation is as a development environment. However, the RCP illustrates that it really isn't just that. In fact, IBM's Workplace uses Eclipse as the rich client and that doesn't look at all like the usual IDE we all know and love or hate.

Eclipse has ambitions to be the next EMACS, albeit written in a far less nice language.

rsynnott wrote:
    Eclipse has ambitions to be the next EMACS, albeit written in a far less nice language.

:D Troll!

Of course, you're kidding - EMACS could never even approximate the power of Eclipse. It's already pretty much the de facto standard for any Java/J2EE tooling, way, way beyond EMACS's abilities.

And with close to 30 years experience in the industry with all sorts of languages, give me Java over Lisp any day!

• Advertisement

bpmurray wrote:
    :D Troll!

Of course, you're kidding - EMACS could never even approximate the power of Eclipse. It's already pretty much the de facto standard for any Java/J2EE tooling, way, way beyond EMACS's abilities.

Does it have a built-in psychiatrist? No, it does not.
    bpmurray wrote:
    And with close to 30 years experience in the industry with all sorts of languages, give me Java over Lisp any day!

Really? Goodness.

rsynnott wrote:
    Does it have a built-in psychiatrist? No, it does not.

Well, that says it all about EMACS and Lisp. Eclipse doesn't need an psychiatrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Just a quick few questions. Ive done a course on asp and server side javascript and after completing it i can design a full ecommerce website with some great functions. So although i struggle sometimes writing efficent code and sometimes take the long way not making proper use of loops and such i still get the functions and codes to work and im constantly improving by altering existing codes and although i cant always write the code out of my head i can usually alter a similar code to work for what i want to do or merge several codes. Would i find it difficult making the transition into languages such as c++ and java??

Also after completing my course ive now found out that for one vbscript is the language i should have been taught instead of serverside javascript because it is more widely used and easier to find info and solutions on the internet about however ive yet to find something that cant be achieved using server side javascript instead of vbscript with asp. Anywho as you know asp, serverside javascript and web design all get you jobs in the web design and eccommerce industry, but in truth unless you have alot of experience you wont find a job easily with just those 3 skills as ive found out. So can someone point out what the different languages will give you the ability to do in examples, does java let you build games or complicated calculators that can be open on your desktop instead of the internet, what languages help you build online games like snooker and card games and fantasy games.

Is there much demand for doing this work freelance, or working from home or even abroad for a company. I tried web design freelance and theres just so much competition.

Lastly when i done my course i needed to fork out a grand to buy dreamweaver as this was an essential tool, what can you expect to fork out to make the proper use of the other languages and also how much would you pay for a course to learn the applicable language???

Thanks

dvdfan wrote:

Also after completing my course ive now found out that for one vbscript is the language i should have been taught instead of serverside javascript because it is more widely used ...

It is also, however, rather schizophrenic and would have damaged your ability to learn other languages properly... It is, in any case, very easy. If you want to, you could pick it up very quickly.
    So can someone point out what the different languages will give you the ability to do in examples, does java let you build games or complicated calculators that can be open on your desktop instead of the internet, what languages help you build online games like snooker and card games and fantasy games.

Java will let you write just about everything non-kernel related.
    Lastly when i done my course i needed to fork out a grand to buy dreamweaver as this was an essential tool, what can you expect to fork out to make the proper use of the other languages and also how much would you pay for a course to learn the applicable language???

Thanks

Sun's JDK is free, and you should probably be able to learn java from this: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ , also free. Incidentally, is Dreamweaver really an essential tool?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

dvdfan wrote:
    Just a quick few questions. Ive done a course on asp and server side javascript and after completing it i can design a full ecommerce website with some great functions.

Where did you do this course? I wanna learn ASP too or ASP.net (whichever)

Also, why did you buy Dreamweaver???? You could have just got a trial version. Most people who are just using it for training purposes borrow a copy from a friend! But its admirable that you paid up for it as I presume you intend going freelance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

We'll all need that psychiatrist. before this thread finishes....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Thanks Lads, i bougt dreamweaver because it was the program we used during the course over the period of a couple of months. Im also a bit too impulsive and I also intended to try freelance but ive found it too competitive. Too many designers from india etc willing to do design for little or nothing which forces me and others into charging really cheap rates and thus it just wasnt feasible for the time put in.

Someone asked where i dont the course. www.iact.ie based in Dublin, nice people but i wonder why they didnt teach me asp and vbscript instead of the exstinct server side javascript although i cant compare javascript i find it very useful and was very easy to pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

bpmurray wrote:
    The guy is having enough of a hard time trying to make up his mind. I was trying to keep it simple without bogging him down in irrelevant details...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

:v:
    The guy is having enough of a hard time trying to make up his mind. I was trying to keep it simple without bogging him down in irrelevant details...

Cheers buddy!

Advertisement