Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny One Way

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

That's the first I've heard about that! The problem with Pedestrianisation of an area is that we need a critical mass of people before it can be effective. The layout of the Main Street wouldn't facilitate this. I know from speaking to Councillors in Derry that they're not happy with the system in Guildhall Sq, for much the same reasons.

Well, I don't know why they're unhappy?! I think the guildhall pedestrian area is great - it's traffic applications would have been minimal anyway given that there's a much bigger road parallel to it, and its great to walk around in because there's freedom of movement, unlike in say, Grafton street where it's just bunged!

I really do think pedestrianised areas have great environmental effect and having seen the town plan that was posted here a few weeks back, it really looks very promising, even if it was only partially implemented. A pedestrianised area along with some redevlopment down by the community centre might breathe some life into that part of town again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

Well, I don't know why they're unhappy?! I think the guildhall pedestrian area is great - it's traffic applications would have been minimal anyway given that there's a much bigger road parallel to it, and its great to walk around in because there's freedom of movement, unlike in say, Grafton street where it's just bunged!
    It's an issue that comes up regularly in there. There's a concern that people aren't bothered to come down from the Foylseside and Richmond Centre, and would be more likely to go down there if they could drive.
    I really do think pedestrianised areas have great environmental effect and having seen the town plan that was posted here a few weeks back, it really looks very promising, even if it was only partially implemented. A pedestrianised area along with some redevlopment down by the community centre might breathe some life into that part of town again!
    The new plan is very strong on pedestrian movements. It works to maximise pedestrian movement within the new extension area, from there back into the main street and from the River Swilly through to the Town Park (and onwards to the new park at Ballymacool). I support your points about the benefits of pedestrianisation, from an environmental and health point, but I don't think it would be good for business on the main street. We should be designing new areas to be good for pedestriations, but I don't think we should be forcing pedestrianisation on areas developed around the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 LKLad

To be honest I think we're missing a major point - the location of great tenants.

People would walk to the Guildhall if the big stores were available there.

Likewise people would walk from the retail park to the main street if the big names were located there but the reality is that all the big names are locating in the warehouses.

What happened in Sligo was that the Retail planning guides were enforced meaning only bulky goods could be sold in the retail park.

This allowed the successful development of the Quayside centre in the town centre with many of the tenants located in LK retail park.

I think we'll look back and realise the decision to allow open zoning on this land was a mistake and that a phased approach would have been better.

Anyway, it's a moot point now. All we can expect is for the pavements to be radically improved, excellent lighting, seating etc to be provided between the two areas. This should'nt be haphazard, it should be planned and in accordance with best practise which is why I think the current efforts are to be commended.

It's an issue that comes up regularly in there. There's a concern that people aren't bothered to come down from the Foylseside and Richmond Centre, and would be more likely to go down there if they could drive.

I suspect that's wishful thinking. The reason no-one goes down there is because there's not much to do, its a victim of Foyleside's success in that the popular multiples went to Foyleside instead of down to the Guildhall, so things never quite took off there. Lack of parking probably played a major part in that, one of the main reasons Grafton street is so successful is the massive carparks in St. Stephens Green and Drury Lane, and the fact that St. Stephens Green is the south side bus terminus.
    I support your points about the benefits of pedestrianisation, from an environmental and health point, but I don't think it would be good for business on the main street. We should be designing new areas to be good for pedestriations, but I don't think we should be forcing pedestrianisation on areas developed around the car.

Don't know how much truth is in that - how many people access the main street by car anyway, it's so damn slow I'm sure you'll find that most motorists avoid it like the plague! Certainly there's a lack of pedestrian space there, if it's not going to be pedestrianised, removing parking on one side of the street and extending the pavement out would probably be a vast improvement on the current setup. There's plenty of car parking available off the street - why stifle the pedestrians for the sake of a handful of drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I'd be very surprised if the rezoning wasn't a political issue at the outset anyway. I can think of one councillor who's family have interests to be developed nearby and other former co councillors with interests on the Blaney road. Never once are these things question. Worse still when these things are proven to be corrupt elsewhere, no real punishment is effected. Landowners and politicans involved in these type of scams should have their assets seized.

Anyway, the Main Street needs bigger retail units to try attract bigger stores though its unlikely they'd move away from where the others are ie Retail Park.

The small units on Main Street could be better used. The rennovation of Funland is a point in case. I doubt if a load of pound shops would be that great. If people support local and small businesses then there is a place for main street. I agree that the landscaping and footpaths etc around the new retail parks is appalling and the traffic management at Atlantic Homecare is a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Why? Theres a Dunnes and a Marks & Spencer in both the Foyleside and in the Blanchardstown Centre in Dublin.

Marks & Spencer do not have a branch in Blanchardstown SC.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The small units on Main Street could be better used. The rennovation of Funland is a point in case. I doubt if a load of pound shops would be that great. If people support local and small businesses then there is a place for main street. I agree that the landscaping and footpaths etc around the new retail parks is appalling and the traffic management at Atlantic Homecare is a disaster.
    Couldn't agree more. Especially regarding the traffic around Atlantic Homecare. Not helped by 2 car entrances, and only one exit lane. The only entrance IMHO should be the top one beside McDonalds. That way, exiting cars wont be blocked by cars entering at the same junction who have right of way.

I'd be very surprised if the rezoning wasn't a political issue at the outset anyway. I can think of one councillor who's family have interests to be developed nearby and other former co councillors with interests on the Blaney road. Never once are these things question. Worse still when these things are proven to be corrupt elsewhere, no real punishment is effected. Landowners and politicans involved in these type of scams should have their assets seized.

Anyway, the Main Street needs bigger retail units to try attract bigger stores though its unlikely they'd move away from where the others are ie Retail Park.

Firstly, this currently plan isn't really a "re-zoning". When the 2003 plan was being finalised, it was felt this area of land was in need of further study as it had to potential to impact hugely on the rest of the town. That is why this new plan is now being considered; it is finalising the initial zoning procedures. Also, this plan sets aside large areas of land for green space, open space and walkways, which is limiting the amount of land available for development, no matter what their (supposed/alleged) connections.

Secondly, I fully agree with you about the conflicts of interest. Any public representative that acts to benefit their own (or anyone connected to thems) interest should be removed immediately from office. It is public knowledge that my father is involved with a large tract of land on the south of the swilly (when the deal was done, it was reported on the front of the Derry People newspaper, and our connection was mentioned), and should anything come up that would affect this (or any other holding in which anyone connected to me was involved) land, I would of course declare the interest and be excused from the debate. This land is not part of the lands being considered as part of this plan.

To my knowledge, no councillor has voted on anything that would be considered a conflict in this current term of the council.

I also agree about Atlantic Homecare's traffic, it's terrible from a traffic management, traffic safety and pedestrian safety point of view. They are changing it around, so that traffic enters opposite argos and exits opposite Tony Kelly's.

The redevelopment of Funland has worked excellently, as can also be seen at A-Wear and Boots. Bigger units mean bigger names, to put it simply. We need to be pushing for these larger units, and the council does, whenever opportunities for development come up.

On the pedestrian issue, it's important to remember that Guildhall Sq was once a thriving shopping area. I can remember it being busy in my lifetime, but not anymore.

I would support removing parking from the left-hand-side of the Main Street. Remember when they were digging the tracks for the broadband? The traffic moved great then. Letterkenny's footpaths are very poor, particularly for disabled access. This is something we, as a council, need to address, and are committed to. I've raised it myself, as have other councillors.

I'm going to be away from my computer most of the next four days, so please forgive me if I'm slow to reply here.

Litcagral wrote:
    isn't there an M&S and a Dunnes in Liffey Valley SC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Wasn't having a dig, Damien, infact I geniunely think you're a breath of fresh air in local politics and fianna fail, and have a long future.Your father wasn't bad either and I remember him stepping aside to avoid conflicts of interest. I am aware his land is on the other side of the swilly.

Pity the local press couldn't interact as well with councillors as we are able to do here on the boards.

I'd really like to see this site highlighted more locally so people can interact better.

Good news on the traffic front at Atlantic Homecare.

One thing becoming clear to me from this topic is that we'll never read the plan in detail but now we have the avenue to voice our concerns and have these answered... apreciate you taking the time to do so.

• Advertisement

isn't there an M&S and a Dunnes in Liffey Valley SC?

Yes.

Wasn't having a dig, Damien, infact I geniunely think you're a breath of fresh air in local politics and fianna fail, and have a long future.Your father wasn't bad either and I remember him stepping aside to avoid conflicts of interest. I am aware his land is on the other side of the swilly.

Pity the local press couldn't interact as well with councillors as we are able to do here on the boards.

I'd really like to see this site highlighted more locally so people can interact better.

Good news on the traffic front at Atlantic Homecare.

One thing becoming clear to me from this topic is that we'll never read the plan in detail but now we have the avenue to voice our concerns and have these answered... apreciate you taking the time to do so.

Thanks for your comments on my father. One quick point to clarify, he didn't step down but it wasn't over any "property" related conflict. At the time, he was a member of Letterkenny Town Council while working for Donegal County Council. The conflict came when he was offered a job in the County Council that would have taken him to a higher level, and he was required to choose between the job and being a councillor.

I didn't think you were having a dig, but I can accept that my reply seemed very defensive. I'm just trying to make sure all the cards are on the table; like my reference above to my father, my comments about the land were to ensure that it was brought out here as a matter of record.

I think it's vital that public reps keep in contact with the people. At the end of the day, it's important to remember that we are just normal members of the community; I'm a student, other members are teachers and publicans and community workers. We're available at any stage, should anyone want to get in contact with us.

Also, I have my own website that you can get me through. It's at http://www.damienblake.com/ and you can comment directly on any article I've put up there. I've been nominated for an Irish Blog Award, so if you feel like voting I'd appreciate that too :) (sorry, I'm still a politician at heart!)

I agree with the sentiments expressed by Damien. I think people's supsicions about local politics comes from the sharp practices of the past. Thankfully a new breed of politicians are coming on stream which damien is a good example of and I think people's opinions will change in time.

(Hoewever I can think of one politician on the council whom i, like a lot of the town, have major doubts about their motives for being politically engaged).

Anyway M+S will be located on the corner site opposite the radisson subject to planning- it's in for planning now. They also hope to put a music store (HMV?Virgin?) in one of the units alongside.

I know these new developments are great etc but i think music outlets like those should really be closer to the town centre and to be honest I hope somone objects to the 7 units he has in for planning on the corner site ( in addition to the 19 he has under construction) as it's just going to kill the town centre.

http://www.donegaldemocrat.com/story/6267

Click on attached for the county manager's views on this subject in today's democrat.

Litcagral wrote:

They do, well they certainly did in May/June - right down the back at the opposite end to Dunnes, down by all the clothes shops.

They do, well they certainly did in May/June - right down the back at the opposite end to Dunnes, down by all the clothes shops.

Are you confusing it with Roches Stores?? I rarely go shopping as I hate it but I'm pretty sure that there is no Marks & Spencers in Blanchardstown SC. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Listen up lads and lassies. Blanchardstown shopping centre is a fair bit to walk or drive if a one way system is put in place in Letterkenny. So can we stay on topic here please.

Sorry Muffler but I couldn't let that go unchallenged. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No problems my friend. Im just trying to keep everything running smoothly in the NW forum.

have to say that this forum is improving all the time so long may it continue

Letterkenny Town Centre To Be Pedestrianised?
    By Ciaran O'Donnell

Tuesday 14th February 2006

The future pedestrianisation of Letterkenny's town centre and Main Street should be investigated further, Donegal County Manager Michael McLoone has suggested.

In a lengthy report on retail strategy contained in the Donegal Development Plan 2005, which will go out shortly for public consultation, Mr McLoone said Letterkenny was considered vibrant, with a range of independents and national operators, and a mix of cultural of uses and benefits from locally organised promotional campaigns, such as Shop LK.

"The extended town centre area, which is the subject of a detailed masterplan, is now home to larger modern comparison retailing formats, including Next, TK-Maxx, Argos and Atlantic Homecare, as well as representation from all major stores, including Supervalu, Dunnes, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi," Mr McLoone commented.

According to the County Manager, the proximity of Derry, and the quantum and quality of convenience, and particularly comparison goods available there, continues to impact on the viability of Letterkenny.

"However, it is acknowledged that Letterkenny is strengthening its retail offer and increasingly able to hold hold its own," he said.

Mr McLoone continued: "Notwithstanding the provision of additional development land for retail uses in the extended town centre area, there are a number of sites in the traditional town centre which could equally provide appropriate opportunities for delivering modern retailing formats, and there is a concern with the Planning Authority should be more proactive in this regard.

"In addition, the traditional town centre would benefit from proper pedestrian linkages with the extended town centre area and there are opportunities to facilitate this, for example, An Post or the ESB building. Improved signage and a more managed approach to parking, as well as improved footpaths and lighting, would further enhance the character and accessibility of the town centre. The future pedestrian of the town centre main street should be investigated further," Mr McLoone commented.

The County Manager added: "However, as the main town in the county, it has been suggested that Letterkenny's growth as major retail centre has been somewhat haphazard and unplanned, and that, overall, the town lacks a clear vision for its growth and sustainable development."

• Advertisement

Litcagral wrote:
    Are you confusing it with Roches Stores?? I rarely go shopping as I hate it but I'm pretty sure that there is no Marks & Spencers in Blanchardstown SC. :)

No. I'm wearing socks I purchased there *right now* :p

Anyway - when are they actually making pavements on the new road, and actually setting the oneway system that works in concrete?

Advertisement