Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny One Way

Options
  • 26-01-2006 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

ok so i've spent over a year in Galway now and am back up in Donegal for a few days so i can see the differences that the 2 areas have, i've just walked up/down (whatever way you say it) Letterkenny main street and was wondering if there had been any more talk on makin it a no car zone. I know it was suggested a few years back and didn't go far at all, but seeing how Shop Street in Galway is and with the "new improved":rolleyes: layout of Letterkennys roads do you think it would be a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

They can't even make the road layout permanent, what chance is there for pedestrianisation?? Seriously, think of the 3 local businesses that might loose out for the greater good of the town....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

danniemcq wrote:
    ok so i've spent over a year in Galway now and am back up in Donegal for a few days so i can see the differences that the 2 areas have, i've just walked up/down (whatever way you say it) Letterkenny main street and was wondering if there had been any more talk on makin it a no car zone. I know it was suggested a few years back and didn't go far at all, but seeing how Shop Street in Galway is and with the "new improved":rolleyes: layout of Letterkennys roads do you think it would be a good idea?

There was huge controversy when they made in one-way so I don't think this would be a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Personally I think that the main street is too long for making it pedestrian only

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

Do they not reckon that the town centre will eventually be shifted down towards where argos etc are now anyway?
    The main st is too long to be pedestrianised, there is not enough access on and off it to have people park around it and walk. The carpark at dillions would be redundant, and there isn't enough on the main st to encourage people to walk it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 LKLad

http://www.donegal.ie/dcc/planning/letterkennyDPvariation2.pdf

This link will take you to the proposed plan for the town centre extension

• Advertisement

Good plan that actually. Some interesting and very good ideas there...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

muffler wrote:
    Personally I think that the main street is too long for making it pedestrian only
    Yes, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think two-way from lower to high road but excluding port roa would suit better. However there is no more than a feeble attempt to enforce parkign standards on the streets. I got stuck outside for ages the 4 lights waiting for a woman to come out from the shop to here double parked car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭munky

Since the new shops have opened down at the Cinema there isn't anybody around Main St. So making it pedestrian at this stage is a bit pointless IMO

That's precisely why they'll have to make it pedestrian.

The next phase of the retail park currently under construction has an 80,000 sq foot Dunnes, M+S, River Island, (I think a 2 storey McElhinneys) and around 10 other units so the main street will be finished as a retail centre.

I have seen the pics of the new centre - it looks impressive.

Because of Dillons car park and the Blaney's plans for the Central they'll only be a ble to pedestrianise from the corner of Church lane to the Oliver Plunkett.

I'd give it 3 years before it comes in.

• Advertisement

Dunnes are goin up against M+S, I'm kinda surprised.

YEah thats really gonna take everything out of the town, maybe now they'll turn the Main St into a pub street=)

Love the sig munky. Wouldnt it just be great to attach that to all emails going toMicrosoft:)

munky wrote:
    Dunnes are goin up against M+S, I'm kinda surprised.

Why? Theres a Dunnes and a Marks & Spencer in both the Foyleside and in the Blanchardstown Centre in Dublin.

The M+S stores is only going to be in the region of 20,000 sq feet. Dunnes will be 80,000 sq feet so M+S will be food only.
    Suits me, I like their stuff though supervalu won't be best pleased with another food store alongside.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Are M&S and Dunnes somehow related? The only reason I ask is because one uses St Bernard, the other St Michael to brand their stuff. :)

I'd prefer if M&S opened a clothes outlet instead of a food only outlet. There is sufficient food supermarkets already I reckon with Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, SuperValu, Dunnes Stores and Costcutter. I do miss Iceland though :(

Why? Theres a Dunnes and a Marks & Spencer in both the Foyleside and in the Blanchardstown Centre in Dublin.
    Well you see
    1. I didn't know that
    2. Both those places are in/around cities, not a relativly small town.
    Its just that the two shops are very alike.

Theres a correlation between M&S and the number of apartments available nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

well now i'm confused? jimmycrackcorn explain yourself

Theres a correlation between M&S and the number of apartments available nearby.
    Possitive or negative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

The main STreet apparently was made one way in the wrong direction because of the location of all the emergency services at the North of the Town. Pedestrianisation is supposed to take place between Patrick Gildeas (Church Lane) and the old Music Centre at the Square on a trial basis later this year. Though as usual the Taxis will dictate. On that anyone ever see a taxi on the rank outside Saras and the Pulse?

Still try driving anywhere at the weekend night and you'd be fooled into thinking its all a pedestrian zone.

• Advertisement

danniemcq wrote:
    well now i'm confused? jimmycrackcorn explain yourself

M&S suits single young professionals ( just look at their food range) - hence you'll find M&S in areas that are expanding economically, which usually have more single white female apartments.

I've come to this conclusion solely by observing the totty in the food isle.

The main STreet apparently was made one way in the wrong direction because of the location of all the emergency services at the North of the Town. Pedestrianisation is supposed to take place between Patrick Gildeas (Church Lane) and the old Music Centre at the Square on a trial basis later this year. Though as usual the Taxis will dictate. On that anyone ever see a taxi on the rank outside Saras and the Pulse?

Still try driving anywhere at the weekend night and you'd be fooled into thinking its all a pedestrian zone.

I'll bet Patrick Gildea will object to losing his 6 series parking space. Now where can I get an all-day parking exemption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

The one way was made in the wrong direction because of the correlation between the emergency services in the North and the rest of us. Anyone find its a harder town to get out of than get in because of this. Anyway pedestrians will have full use of Church Lane to Market SQ later this year... if the taxis allow. Maybe someone will point out the new ranks on Port Road and we'll all realise why they were put there.

Conspiracy theory..... are all these ranks being provided to force you and me and all the tourists (we never see) to park in multi stories.... and yeah whatever happened to the greenparty's objection to the Hospital carpark deal...or was it only an objection til they got a seat on council. Hark they are Green enough to become Fianna Fail Councillors soon.

Single white totty please queue on the port Road..... The Ranks need you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

Pedestrianisation is supposed to take place between Patrick Gildeas (Church Lane) and the old Music Centre at the Square on a trial basis later this year.
    That's the first I've heard about that! The problem with Pedestrianisation of an area is that we need a critical mass of people before it can be effective. The layout of the Main Street wouldn't facilitate this. I know from speaking to Councillors in Derry that they're not happy with the system in Guildhall Sq, for much the same reasons.

That's the first I've heard about that! The problem with Pedestrianisation of an area is that we need a critical mass of people before it can be effective. The layout of the Main Street wouldn't facilitate this. I know from speaking to Councillors in Derry that they're not happy with the system in Guildhall Sq, for much the same reasons.

Why not trial it for 6 months and see how it does? It may make it more attracive for people to come in from the retail parks and use the town centre. I think in the long term that if the main street doesn't take some sort of action then the whole debate will be irrelevant as all the main retail outlets will all be out of town.

I know the council is looking at the whole town centre extension area but this is a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted if ever there was one. The new lands should have restricted their retail use to bulky goods for the first couple of years, but now PJ Doherty has such a big land bank I think the Main street can forget about being a viable retail area.

Also a few friends were staying at the Radisson and they were amazed that they had to walk over gravel to get to the town centre. Maybe we should sort the basics out first.

LKLad wrote:
    Why not trial it for 6 months and see how it does? It may make it more attracive for people to come in from the retail parks and use the town centre. I think in the long term that if the main street doesn't take some sort of action then the whole debate will be irrelevant as all the main retail outlets will all be out of town.

I'd take the same line on that as I did on the changing of the one-way system through the town centre extension area- we have to use our best judgement. I opposed a "trial" system in that area, as nobody could convince us of the benefits to be gained from messing with a very effective system, even in the short term. The same is true, I feel, for the pedestrianisation. We would be more likely to put people off using the area at all.

Another point to remember is that there is nobody formally calling for pedestrianisation, even on a trial basis. I received an 18 page document from the Chamber of Commerce, regarding the public consultation period for the new plans for the extension area, and they don't mention it at all.
    LKLad wrote:
    I know the council is looking at the whole town centre extension area but this is a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted if ever there was one. The new lands should have restricted their retail use to bulky goods for the first couple of years, but now PJ Doherty has such a big land bank I think the Main street can forget about being a viable retail area.

Letterkenny is in a fairly unique position, when compared to other towns. The Neil Blaney and Paddy Harte Roads have opened up substantial new lands which are now being developed, whereas other towns are seeing this development take place further from the town centre. This is something we should be looking to build on- we have the opportunity to extend our core shopping area, without damaging the traditional town centre. That was the intention of the proposed plan, which will be consider by the Council at our March meeting (on the 8th).
    LKLad wrote:
    Also a few friends were staying at the Radisson and they were amazed that they had to walk over gravel to get to the town centre. Maybe we should sort the basics out first.
    I've raised this issue a number of times, with particular reference to the Council offices. We've built a great Public Services Centre, but placed it away from where people live, and made it almost impossible to get to without a car. The state of footpaths is absolutely atrocious. I have been assured that the council will be taking enforcement proceedings against any developments that fail to complete their properties as required, including footpaths.

Another newbie, Damien Blake. Welcome to the boards Mr Mayor and particularly to the North West forum.

Delighted to have someone from the political scene on board and please visit regularly.

No doubt you will be in a position to give us all the inside info :D

muffler wrote:
    Another newbie, Damien Blake. Welcome to the boards Mr Mayor and particularly to the North West forum.

Delighted to have someone from the political scene on board and please visit regularly.

No doubt you will be in a position to give us all the inside info :D

I don't know how much I can contribute- I've been reading the forums here for the the last week or so and I've picked up more info than I think I could contribute! I'll be keeping an eye on the NW forum here, hopefully I can be of some help.

I found this site after someone linked to my website/blog, and have found it very interesting so far. If you've any questions, I'll answer them as best I can.

Damien - what is the story with this plan?
    I see the chamber of commerce are out against it and want Pearse road developed first? What will happen at the next council meeting?

• Advertisement

LKLad wrote:
    Damien - what is the story with this plan?
    I see the chamber of commerce are out against it and want Pearse road developed first? What will happen at the next council meeting?

In the 2003-2009 Development Plan (two huge documents which set out all the physical development goals and policies for the town) it was decided that the extension area should be considered as a specific area, and have it's own plan drawn up. As such, it is only given minor treatment in the development plan, with much of the detail proposed in this plan now under consideration.

The point of this current plan is to consider how best to drive development in this area, to benefit the entire town. As such, it contains recommendations on public spaces, open walkways, pedestration linkages with the traditional town centre and new roadways to bring people through the area into the town.

If we don't accept this plan (or some variant- we can amend it at the next meeting before accepting it), development in the extension area will continue to be considered on its own merits, rather than as part of an overall, cohesive strategy.

I believe the Chamber of Commerce's objections to this plans are poorly founded. Yes, they have concerns about the existing town centre. I do too, very definitely. But, if we don't put a plan in place for this area of extension, we run the risk of seeing development become even more imbalanced towards this area.

We need to work on an overall strategy for Letterkenny's retail sector. That won't be easy, but I believe it can best be achieved after putting a plan in place to deal with the development of the extension area. The needs of the Main Street area are different to that of the extension area; we don't need to ignore one to ensure the other prospers.

Advertisement