Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 Nenagh to Limerick Motorway

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

corktina wrote:
    i dunno what the problem, i for one am delighted with the improvements that either are in place or are just around the corner.....
    I know what you mean corktina, when youre driving along whether the road is a mway or high quality dualler is probably irrelevant. Having said that it would be nice for some consistency. The N6, 7 and 8 should have been motorways all the way just for consistency. The rest (4,9,11) are ok as dc.

Worse inconsistency is the provision of dc near cities (Naas-Dublin, Cork-Watergrasshill) where the traffic is very heavy, followed by motorway further out (where the traffic is lighter). This just doesnt really make sense. Redesignation (with some rebuilding) of stretches like these to bring them up to spec would be really nice and the most logical thing to do. The large number of frontage accesses would be a big sticking point though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

my only thought on the subject is why were not all the resources put into a really high quality Cork-Limerick-Dublin mway? cheaper than two seperate M7/M8 ones...and could have been finshed by now.........mileage much the same to travel via Limerick for me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

corktina wrote:
    my only thought on the subject is why were not all the resources put into a really high quality Cork-Limerick-Dublin mway? cheaper than two seperate M7/M8 ones...and could have been finshed by now.........mileage much the same to travel via Limerick for me.....
    Ah, they just want to recreate the same problem they had with the railways. Can you imagine if county X and town Y didn't get it's bypass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I have not being down that way for ages, how is this progressing. Only one year away now till completion (if proceeds as schedule) Q2 2009.

Did anyone drive by the Nenagh bypass recently. Last time I was passing, there were huge deep excavations of the verges on its entire length. It does look like they are going to build it to Motorway spec afterall. The Dolla road bridge maybe a problem however as the HS wont fit through. But I'm guessing that there will be HS most of its length the bridge on the top of the climbing hill at the Limerick approach seems very wide at the sides to allow a full standard motorway to fit through. How is it advancing through the remainder of the M7??

The Nenagh Castletown is advancing near Monegall atm from my flyby there a few weeks ago.

The Portlaoise Borris section has a good chunk of the earthworks done at this stage judging again from passing by. There are excavating already for a flyover just east of Mountrath between there and Portlaoise to allow the M7 to flyover or under the existing N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

mysterious:

Haven't seen Limerick to Nenagh in the last couple of months, but last time I saw it, things looked to be fairly progressing, some sections looked even ready for the final surface. However, there wasn't much done on the SRR tie-in at the Newport Junction, and I suspect that may take long enough.

Phase 2 of the SRR (also N7/M7) is flying along, but the junctions again are progressing slower, though the N20 one has it's basic layout by the looks of it (you think the M50 curves are tight?!) The flyover over the old N20, the R526 St. Nessan's Road by the Crescent Shopping Centre, seems to be at a standstill, the flyover is built only over where the SRR will pass, the bit over the railway, the long ramp in front of the Shopping Centre carpark, and the shorter ramp into the City Council area all have to be done. The N69 Dock Road junction does no show much evidence of slips yet, nor the second roundabout on the city side or any modifications to the Cement Factory roundabout. On the N18, one of the switchback junctions has been removed and replaced by a roundabout. There's another of those to be done (outside Radisson), and the restricted M7/M9 style junction to be built where the SRR will tie in to the N18.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Does anyone know how the tunnel section of Limerick SRR is coming along? Any photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

This video shows the progress on the tunnel up to December 07.
    http://www.nra.ie/ProjectVideos/Limerick-December2007/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone know if the new road from limerick to nenagh is motorway or dual carriageway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone know if the new road from limerick to nenagh is motorway or dual carriageway ?

This road is subject to one of 4 current applications for motorway designation.

The M7 application includes both the: Borris to Nenagh; and Nenagh to Limerick schemes - the link is as follows (PDF file):

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/10193-1.pdf

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭cjpm

Limerick to Nenagh is a High Quality Dual Carriageway so possibility of 120kph speed limit.

Nenagh to Castletown is a motorway as far as i know, so again 120kph

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭iwudluvit

This means that I need to go off the main road to get to MacDonalds?!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Whats the opening dates for these roads?

iwudluvit wrote: »

hmm..theres one a Thurles...and one fairly handy at Castletroy Limerick....only half a mile in towards the centre from the N7...

could use a services ON some on these Motorways couldnt we...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

wow you must really love mac donalds enough to ask on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,954 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Until they invent motorway drive throughs anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭iwudluvit

ipodrocker wrote: »
    wow you must really love mac donalds enough to ask on here!

no but isn't this the place to ask? if not here, where?!

drive through macdonalds on the motorway - now that's fast food.

jeez..thatll put the cat amongst the pidgeons waiting 7 minutes for an apple pie...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Isn't there a McDonald's at the roundabout at the end of the current Nenagh bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

No, thats Roscrea your thinking of. Hopefully this road gets done quickly, make my journeys to Tipp all the quicker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Any idea how far this is away from finishing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

AlanD wrote: »
    Any idea how far this is away from finishing?

see here: M7 Motorway Thread

Its likely to be finished around November or December this year. They are currently working on many parts that are bringing the opening back a few months: The upgrade of the Nenagh bypass, N7 SRR tie in and a boggy section of land south of Daly's Cross. Most of the rest of the route has the concrete barrier and second last layer of asphalt down like this section outside dromin

800px-DrominM7.jpg

Theres some pics in that thread also from posters. Hope that helps. (btw wish the M7 thread was all bumped into 1 so many of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I was dredging up some old newspaper reports or Dáil debates (forget which) and the existing N7 was not passable for some time at one stage due to the boggy land - they were working on it for months and there was some long detour. I think it was 1959/60?

Anyway, let's hope the delay ensures the motorway won't subside or anything nasty. There was that incident in Limerick only a year or two ago where the modern build (1990?) Condell Road had a section completely fall away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Apologies for resurrecting an oldie, I couldn't find the more recent M7 thread......and this is what google threw up first

Advertisement