Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa's any good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Wife's 146 1.8 just failed NCT on suspension bushings. Only 52k miles. had to change the wishbones, cant just replace bushings. Cost nearly €400 from main dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

146!! must be its second NCT at least, even with 52K clocked its still at least 6 years old, time as wel as mileage affects rubber, they still bear the wight sitting still

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

It appears that Alfa/ Fiat's biggest problem is not the cars but their cars perceived unreliability and a horendous dealer network, so much so infact that they have delayed the launch of the new 159 in uk and Ireland untill they have sorted their dealership network out.
    I already know of one Alfa/Fiat dealership gone maybe as a result.

I have heard umpteen people tell me they are rubbish and yet never from an owner !
    Certainly I wouldn't dis mine.

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

from the dealers point of view, the labour rate they recieve on warranty work is much lower than the retail rate. they spend so much time on warranty jobs, it's no wonder they're not as helpful as they might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

I think the word "Smarmy" fits... well, covers two dealers I have encountered... Stereotypical olde world sales people that don't fit the Alfa image, but in fairness they did give me a good laugh listening to their BS, I was knee deep before I left.
    But I found one who fits the bill... and they are getting my money for a new 159. :)

As for reliability, well during the eighties it was hard to find an XR3i or a RST that was not thrashed within an inch of its life. And the RST regularly ate gearboxes.

Alfa’s are like super models “High Maintenance” but look good on your arm.
    Alfa's need TLC too. Don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

Seems to me reading between the lines in all these threads, that if there isn't a lot wrong with the car but when it does go wrong, it really goes wrong. And instead of a helpful dealer there to sort you, they add significantly to the problem. So its no wonder there are horror stories out there.

You would always be vocal in those sorts of situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I found Motorzone in Limerick really helpful when my 146 kept breaking

suppose the mightnt all be bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Shanerie

I have an 02 147 1.6 sportivo and i love it to bits. Its been in the family since new. I will cry if I ever sell it.

The Good Stuff:

Its an amazing drive, it really is.
    Looks fantastic inside and out, comfy too.
    Reliable - no really, its never broken down on me.
    All the switchgear/electrics are still perfect, great stereo.
    Drive it gently (ooer) and good fuel econemy may occur.
    Put the foot down and a big smile will appear.
    Really well put together, great materials and finish, SOLID.
    Low drag co-efficient
    Its a car you can love, like the love of a man for a fine cigar!

The Not So Good:

Poor Turning Circle - occasional Austin Powers moments
    Poor rear visibility - can be a tricky one to park till your used to it
    Thirsty for oil - feed the beast!
    Some poor dealers, find one you can trust to take care of your baby.
    (I reccomend The Sweep in waterford, good lads)
    Had leaky hydrolic power steering pipe replaced.(minor)
    Had font/back wheel braces replaced. (minor, to be expected given roads/mileage, cheap parts)
    Minor problem with licenceplate light sensor. fixed by tapping with finger. :D

Alfa garage in swords told me i didnt need to change my timing belt untill 50,000 miles. Its supposed to be changed at 35,000 or so. And after they fixed my car(power steering hydrolic pipe), they had been testing it and used up all the petrol, not a whisper of juice! I feckin ran out before i could get to the nearest station. I curse that garage.

Ive had way more problems with my previous ford fiesta and peugeot 306, which included self acceleration(feckin lethal), mufflers dropping off, electric windows falling back into the doorframe, water gathering in the footwell, central locking failing, yadayada... i miss my 306 though, *sniff*

ALFA: A firey sexy temptress who will do anything for you and put a big grin on your face so long as you pay her attention, oil her when she needs it and treat her with respect.

Or you could get a plane jane from accounts von dutch bankland who never complains, is slow and steady and just lies there like a sack of spuds.
    Yea right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Shanerie wrote:
    The Good Stuff:

Its an amazing drive, it really is.
    Looks fantastic inside and out, comfy too.
    Reliable - no really, its never broken down on me.
    All the switchgear/electrics are still perfect, great stereo.
    Drive it gently (ooer) and good fuel econemy may occur.
    Put the foot down and a big smile will appear.
    Really well put together, great materials and finish, SOLID.
    Low drag co-efficient
    Its a car you can love, like the love of a man for a fine cigar!

Agreed !
    The Not So Good:

Poor Turning Circle - occasional Austin Powers moments
    Poor rear visibility - can be a tricky one to park till your used to it
    Thirsty for oil - feed the beast!
    Some poor dealers, find one you can trust to take care of your baby.
    (I reccomend The Sweep in waterford, good lads)
    Had leaky hydrolic power steering pipe replaced.(minor)
    Had font/back wheel braces replaced. (minor, to be expected given roads/mileage, cheap parts)
    Minor problem with licenceplate light sensor. fixed by tapping with finger. :D

I had a similar problem with the rear number plate light. Re-seating the bulb and connector sorted it. I read that when you wash the car with a power hose the water can get into the connector and corrode it slightly. This also happened on my Prelude too.

Alfa garage in swords told me i didnt need to change my timing belt untill 50,000 miles. Its supposed to be changed at 35,000 or so. And after they fixed my car(power steering hydrolic pipe), they had been testing it and used up all the petrol, not a whisper of juice! I feckin ran out before i could get to the nearest station. I curse that garage.

In contrast I have had good experiences of Barrables in Swords. Always friendly and helpful and I've bought 3 cars from them because of this. According to anything I've read the cam belt had to be visually inspected at 36000 miles and replaced at 60000. There have been stories of the belt snapping, because of siezed tensioners, before its time, so maybe the 50000 the garage suggests is a reasonable compromise.
    ALFA: A firey sexy temptress who will do anything for you and put a big grin on your face so long as you pay her attention, oil her when she needs it and treat her with respect.

I'll wager you have a name for your car . . . don't you !! :D

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Shanerie

Ah your probably right, sure im no mechanic!

I dont have a name for it, but do occasionally pet it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Well, I just had a good read of all of this.

I'll bet that if there were bulletin boards and an internet 20 years ago, the same debate would have taken place about Alfas.

I own a 21 year old GTV6 (pictured). The car behind mine is a year younger, with 230k miles. The GTV6 is a very reliable car. If you follow the required maintenance, like changing the timing belt when you're supposed to. Oh yeah - checking the oil is somewhat important too. Some things don't change much.

If you live in Dublin, get your Alfa serviced in TI Autos. Don't bring it to the garage down the road. The garage down the road can't be expected to be able to service whatever car you bring to them. Cars are no longer made that way.

The bottom line is, car-ignorant people shouldn't drive Alfas (some things don't change much). Or they'll end up looking to trade in their 156 with its blown engine because they didn't check the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

dave2pvd wrote:

I'll bet that if there were bulletin boards and an internet 20 years ago, the same debate would have taken place about Alfas.

I own a 21 year old GTV6 (pictured). The car behind mine is a year younger, with 230k miles. The GTV6 is a very reliable car. If you follow the required maintenance, like changing the timing belt when you're supposed to. Oh yeah - checking the oil is somewhat important too. Some things don't change much.

If you live in Dublin, get your Alfa serviced in TI Autos. Don't bring it to the garage down the road. The garage down the road can't be expected to be able to service whatever car you bring to them. Cars are no longer made that way.

The bottom line is, car-ignorant people shouldn't drive Alfas (some things don't change much). Or they'll end up looking to trade in their 156 with its blown engine because they didn't check the oil.

Lovely Pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nice GTVs, Dave :)

Lovely cars but they suffer terribly from rust. How did you manage to avoid that? US import by any chance?

Yup, they are water-soluble. No doubt about it.

I live in Atlanta, GA. The car has been garaged all its life. Right now it is sitting in a de-humidified storage garage. Rarely gets driven on a wet day. That's what the WRX is for :D

I do just about all of the maintenance on the car. Usually with help from a friend of mine (owner of the other '6). One of the attached is from when the head gaskets were replaced. That's me with the headlight.

Let me see if I can find another pic or 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

dave2pvd wrote:
    Yup, they are water-soluble. No doubt about it.

I live in Atlanta, GA. The car has been garaged all its life. Right now it is sitting in a de-humidified storage garage. Rarely gets driven on a wet day. That's what the WRX is for :D

I do just about all of the maintenance on the car. Usually with help from a friend of mine (owner of the other '6). One of the attached is from when the head gaskets were replaced. That's me with the headlight.

Let me see if I can find another pic or 2...

niiiiiiiice !! (the cars that is! ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

dave2pvd wrote:

Respect. You've obviously got a relic. MO Alfas make great diecasts but if you want to believe they're great cars, well hey it's a free world. These ****e cars are two a penny, no value, no interest and boot loads of trouble, but hey, maybe the odd one is good. trust the Italians to be different. Agree looks are good, even the sporty interiors but thats where reality ends for me.

Put them in the same league as other gems like Skodas, tarty hyundais. At least these others go sure even the distributors come and go.
    Porsches for the mid life crisis - Alfas for the diehards.

Respect. You've obviously got a relic. MO Alfas make great diecasts but if you want to believe they're great cars, well hey it's a free world. These ****e cars are two a penny, no value, no interest and boot loads of trouble, but hey, maybe the odd one is good. trust the Italians to be different. Agree looks are good, even the sporty interiors but thats where reality ends for me.

Put them in the same league as other gems like Skodas, tarty hyundais. At least these others go sure even the distributors come and go.

Heh. Trolling for trouble?

Clearly, you've driven a few GTV6s in your time.

Well, perhaps I shouldn't bother, but here you go:
    • These ****e cars are two a penny, no value: Good GTV6s here go for up to $12,000.
    • Boot loads of trouble: you've obviously done an extensive survey.
    • same league as other gems like Skodas, tarty hyundais: well hey it's a free world
    • How's that Micra 1.0L going for you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Did you read all this in a comic, or have you actually owned one?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Another Troller!

Obviously someone who has driven a few of these wonderful cars and has Real World (tm) knowledge of them. Funny he mentions "reality" like he has actually experienced it.

Muppet !!!

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I reckon any one brave enough to post an opinion should at least say what experience they have with the car they are discussing. Maybe add what you currently drive as a comparison.

I've had 2 156s; a 1.8 and a 2.0 both TwinSparks. Apart from weak suspension bushes on the 2.0 they never gave me a moments grief. Check the oil & change the belts; save yourself an engine rebuild, its not THAT difficult. The thoughts of changing to the majority of bland, grey look-a-like, drive-a-like boring muck out there makes me shudder...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I must say i have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread....

Anyway I have been considering buying an alfa been looking round can get a 2001 156 1.8 ts FSH for around €6000 (advertised €6250) personally i think that might be too much although i'd love to fork out the extra €1500-2000 for a 147 i think they're mighty...

FYI i drive a '00 Fiat Bravo which i have only two problems with ever exhaust (6.5 year old car) and clutch again not a major problem (pricey though)

neacy69 wrote:
    Anyway I have been considering buying an alfa been looking round can get a 2001 156 1.8 ts FSH for around €6000

If you can, go for the 2.0TS - a much nicer car to drive. The extra 200cc makes a heck of a difference.
    although i'd love to fork out the extra €1500-2000 for a 147 i think they're mighty...

Could I interest you in a '05 147 then ? 14000 on the clock - perfect nic - a steal at €16,900 ono.

ZEN

ZENER wrote:
    Obviously someone who has driven a few of these wonderful cars and has Real World (tm) knowledge of them. Funny he mentions "reality" like he has actually experienced it.

Muppet !!!

ZEN
    Could I interest you in a '05 147 then ? 14000 on the clock - perfect nic - a steal at €16,900 ono.

Sounds like a give away-bet the Charities would even say "Eh, sorry but no Thanks". Can I let you in on a little secret- the world knows all about Alfas! One day, they'll make good wheel barrows!

TOYOTA-THE BEST BUILT CARS IN THE WORLD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Sounds like a give away-bet the Charities would even say "Eh, sorry but no Thanks". Can I let you in on a little secret- the world knows all about Alfas! One day, they'll make good wheel barrows!

TOYOTA-THE BEST BUILT CARS IN THE WORLD

I already have one thanks, and it's not going anywhere!

Can I let you in a little secret? The world and its mother think they know all about Alfas.

TOYOTA - THE MOST BORING CARS IN THE WORLD!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

ZENER wrote:

ZEN
    Thanks for the offer dude but way too far out of my price range

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

If you want to drive a car that will go year on year without checking the oil, then fine, enjoy your Toyota, or your 11 yr old Mondeo, or whatever. If that's the most important factor in your car-buying decision good luck to you, hope it works out.
    But don't tell me that, because you may have to top up the oil or replace some consumables more often, every Alfa is sh!te. The driving experience that comes with these cars, the fact that every time you look at it you stop and smile, thats what keeps most Alfa owners hooked. You simply don't get those factors from another (used) car in that price bracket (and few new ones).
    So why is it that some non-owners seem to have such a vitriolic hatred of these cars? I don't happen to like a lot of cars, but I'd never bother me ar$e to mouth off about it, they're just not for me.

If you want an owner's opinion on Alfas try the forums on alfa156.net or alfaowner.com

ZENER wrote:

Muppet !!!

ZEN

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/Subaru_Forester_XT_2006_front_right.jpg

??? What's your point ?

Here's another nice picture ! So what ?
    2003 Lemon List
    The lemon list is based on the number of consumer complaints on file with the National Highway for Traffic Safety Administration (with #1 being the vehicle logging the most complaints)
    1. Ford Escape
    2. Toyota Prius
    3. Oldsmobile Aurora
    4. Ford Excursion
    5. Mitsubishi Eclipse
    6. Ford Focus
    7. Lincoln LS
    8. Chevrolet Blazer
    9. Subaru Legacy
    10. Jeep Grand Cherokee
    11. Audi A6
    12. Suzuki Grand Vitara