Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill 16 end of Croke Park

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

i go to every single dublin game in hil 16 and i for one would be outraged if they turnded the hill into an all-seater stand. I dont think that because the stadium isnt the same on all four sides that it detracts from the stadium. Also on the issue of the roof, i dont believe there is any need for a roof to be built. The staadium is mainly used during the summer months and if we were to clos this roof for a match it would detract from the match and imo ruin it as it would totally alter the playing conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

megadodge wrote:
    Have you read the rest of the thread, because there are a number of non-Dubs here (including myself) who like the Hill and prefer terracing in general.

Have to agree with you there. Personally I prefer to have my Lazy Arse firmly sat on a pre-assigned Blue Plastic seat, so you don't have to turn up ages before to guarantee the view, but I can see the attraction to the terrace, and it would be a shame to see it be changed.

Some people like the terrace, some don't, but at least there's a bit of everything in Croker to cover all the needs.

While the full seater may be a fancier, more aesthetically pleasing sight, Croker is not there to look nice, it's there for games to be played and enjoyed in. The mix that exists of Seats and terracing covers a lot of peoples preferences in this respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Well I love the hill also because it had/has a better view of the pitch than the canal end used to its cheaper, better characters, more intimide in the big games, and I was on the hill when Meath beat Mayo in '96 replay " Brendan Reilly can he be the all ireland final hero"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Pigman wrote:
    Yes, I've been to the ground on several occasions. I even live fairly near to it and I've brought some foriegn people along to games only to be asked 'it's big but when is that side going to be finished'?

That's because you haven't educated your guests to the reasoning. I mean the first question I would ask is why did you put the stadium here!! Leaving that aside, on of the main reasons for the uncovered railway end is the fact that properties to the north of the stadium would effectively be blacked out from natural sunlight. I would say that the railway would be accomodated even though it might be more difficult than the railway that runs beneath the canal end.

For live concerts - the 3 a year - the hill is an advantage but not a great advantage. For a concert the Hill is closed and only the equivalent number of people are allowed on the pitch. If the stand was built like the canal end it would be closed to allow for the stage and probably a greater number of people would be allowed on the ground. Therefore, it would be better for concert promoters if the hill was covered!

Now that the screen is in the hill looks a lit more 'together'. There are however some glaring ommissions from the Croker design - no lighting and believe it or not no camera positions were built into the design, so they are all on scaffold structures that have no become permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

\how about rebuilding Hill 16 up to height of the other three sides but retaining its terrace standing format. That would "finish" the stadium, make it more attractive and also bring full capacity up to a 100 k. Put an huge arch over the top of the rebuilt terrace with the words "Easter 1916: the day Ireland struck for freedom"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thread is like sooooooo 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Personally i like the option to move away if some yob is right beside me i am stuck beside them in the stand with no escape also handy when a few are meeting up to go to a game together plus cheaper as well of course .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Strange given that most people believe that it is finished! It does not need to be tarted up!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

Why in gods name did you resurrect a thread over 17 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭cson

Aside from this nonsense, the Cusack must be on the cusp of some refurb work being required, it's approaching 30 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Advertisement