Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 206 | Peugeot 306 | SEAT Ibiza | VW Polo

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 toloola

If u looking for a good car that won`t cause problem i go for the polo. German car never give much grief. Don`t look as good as the rest but will last year`s if looked after.

As for peug`s i`d forget about them. Have a 306 myself, Fast enough car look`s well but is in the garage at least once a month. The 306 eat`s bushin and wheel bearins like there not tomorrow. Have the car 3 year`s and have 5 wheel bearin`s in it. If you were going for a 306 go for the desiel moble. There is a great engine in them and will go round the clock many times if you don`t over heat it. My sister has a 206 from new and it is the same thing. Bushin and electrial problem every time she go out in it. Peug`s have a very soft front end and the bearin last no time.

Tigra is and opel and i would thank you for one if i was given it for free. The tigra is a hair dresser`s car anyway. Couple of my friends have them (corsa and vectra) and they just seen to put new stuff on them every week. Give alot of bother with head gasket`s going and the chain breaking on the timing on the corsa.

Seat is a good car. Engine a bit soft but if you not a driver who like to drive it in the red all the time you`ll not have any problem`s with it. Look not so bad neither with a kit put on them.

If i was buy a now i`d look for a 02 toyota corrolla. Jap car are the best around.The 00 to 01 give problem`s with the VVTi engine. Burned alot of oil but they recall alot of engine`s and have it sorted now. Good relible car strong car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

toloola wrote:
    If u looking for a good car that won`t cause problem i go for the polo. German car never give much grief. Don`t look as good as the rest but will last year`s if looked after.
    toloola wrote:
    Seat is a good car. Engine a bit soft but if you not a driver who like to drive it in the red all the time you`ll not have any problem`s with it. Look not so bad neither with a kit put on them.

The Ibiza and Polo share engines. I don't see how you can talk up one and put down the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Hmm, I actually test drove a 1L Seat Ibiza and found the Corsa to be much nippier.

I've a 1.4, that fairly moves ;) Seat Ibiza all the way, I've mentioned in another thread that the Ibiza uses alot of VW parts. Makes for a reliable car. I couldnt drive a corsa, too girly, and Iam one :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

I've a 1.4, that fairly moves ;) Seat Ibiza all the way, I've mentioned in another thread that the Ibiza uses alot of VW parts. Makes for a reliable car. I couldnt drive a corsa, too girly, and Iam one :v:

Heh, there's nothing girly about the Tigra I got. Has custom induction kit and takes off like a rocket..

Heh, there's nothing girly about the Tigra I got. Has custom induction kit and takes off like a rocket..

Ah its is a bit yeah. a chunky, sporty motor maketh the man imo ;)
    You wear your gf's knickers dont you :v:

• Advertisement

Ah its is a bit yeah. a chunky, sporty motor maketh the man imo ;)
    You wear your gf's knickers dont you :v:

Heh not yet... The Tigra has the girly image from the UK because of all the girl racers over there who have them. In Ireland, I would say that it is considered to be a top sports car (by the looks of them anyway). It has that "chunky" feel to it when driving as well...pedals/gear stick/steering wheel..

Since I fixed the sunroof I'm really pleased with it. Especially since I fixed it one day after I bought the car of the guy!

Since I fixed the sunroof I'm really pleased with it. Especially since I fixed it one day after I bought the car of the guy!

Fair play to you. I've an Ibiza, its a 1.4 so theres a little bit more kick in it than the 1L's. When I bought it it was a clean car, but needed some touch ups to give it an edge. I put in a new cd player, lex lights and new seat covers. I'd defo go Ibiza again, or Leon. excellent car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Fair play to you. I've an Ibiza, its a 1.4 so theres a little bit more kick in it than the 1L's. When I bought it it was a clean car, but needed some touch ups to give it an edge. I put in a new cd player, lex lights and new seat covers. I'd defo go Ibiza again, or Leon. excellent car.

You chaved up your motor ?

Sarge wrote:
    You chaved up your motor ?

Chav nothin' she looks sweet. Buckets, me fast and furious pads, mats etc I look kewel. whackin up the choons goin round d' town at nite :cool:

Not t'at all. just sharpened it up a bit :v:
    btw, i think you will find thats chavved :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I've had a 206 for a year now as my first car and I must say I love it. I think it's a great car and would fully recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I have an 04 Ibiza, bought it brand new. Love the car so happy with it, I've decided to go for another Seat. Going for a new leon 1.6. All I have to do is get a good price for the Ibiza, any ideas on what i could get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

s.welstead wrote:
    I have an 04 Ibiza, bought it brand new. Love the car so happy with it, I've decided to go for another Seat. Going for a new leon 1.6. All I have to do is get a good price for the Ibiza, any ideas on what i could get ?

Here is a list of 04 Ibizas for sale on carzone, but they are all dealer sales, so the prices will be higher than you would expect from a private sale. Give CBG a go as well, you may get a better idea then.

So should I be looking around the 12k seeing as how the dealers are around 12.5k ? Whats the best/quickest way to get a sale ?

People don't usually buy newer cars privately. It may be difficult to get a private sale. Seeing that you're looking to get another seat, call to all the seat dealers near you and see what they'll give you in a trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

s.welstead wrote:
    So should I be looking around the 12k seeing as how the dealers are around 12.5k ? Whats the best/quickest way to get a sale ?

12.5K with a dealer will probably get a buyer a full 12 month warranty and maybe AA membership for a year - plus the car would be serviced and valeted before it is picked up. 500 quid less for a private sale isn't much of a reduction for a car with no warranty.

Try getting a trade in price first. Check out CBG and Buy & Sell, and try and get a firmer price on what private sellers are charging.

The dealer is offering around 10k for a trade in. The car is a Seat so its covered with AA for 3 years from time of purchase plus its still under another year or so of a warranty. If I go in with cash to a dealer then i know I'll get a nice discount also. So 10k is not much plus I'll lose the discount of a cash deal. Only 1 private sale for CBG, its the lesser spec model same year for 11500.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

Out of curiosity what kind of money are you looking at? I ask because I got myself a 99 306 with 29K on the clock from a main dealer for €6000. That was with a 1yr warranty back in October. Your short list is much the same as my own bar the Tigra (never even thought of checking them out) so it would be interesting to see whats available a few months down the line.

m4cker wrote:
    Out of curiosity what kind of money are you looking at? I ask because I got myself a 99 306 with 29K on the clock from a main dealer for €6000. That was with a 1yr warranty back in October. Your short list is much the same as my own bar the Tigra (never even thought of checking them out) so it would be interesting to see whats available a few months down the line.

Hmm, I've seen 306's from dealers for a lot less than that though.. My limit was about €5000, although I've purchased a car for much less than that. The Tigra's are quite expensive for '98, '99.

s.welstead wrote:
    The dealer is offering around 10k for a trade in. The car is a Seat so its covered with AA for 3 years from time of purchase plus its still under another year or so of a warranty. If I go in with cash to a dealer then i know I'll get a nice discount also. So 10k is not much plus I'll lose the discount of a cash deal. Only 1 private sale for CBG, its the lesser spec model same year for 11500.

How much of a cash discount will you get? Have you asked? The leon has just been launched and demand is likely to be high, dealers don't need to discount, their order books are probably full with waiting lists. Have you tried other dealers? Make sure they know you're genuine but don't be afraid to play them off against one another.

I hate to sound negative but private selling is great, I've done it with my last two cars but it's next to impossible to do on a timeline. Both cars were bought by the first person to come and see them, but the first one took nearly 5 months to get anybody to look at it, the second went in two weeks and I was left scrambling to find a new car for myself which thankfully only took a day. You're unlikely to be getting your new car straight off the forecourt, so you'll most likely have a period with two cars or no car, cash tied up or extreme inconvenience. There may be remaining warrenty and AA cover, but people still stick to dealers with nearly new cars. You could just chance your arm and stick it in the buy and sell, carzone, cbg etc; negotiate the best price for a trade in with the dealer, if you sell in the mean time, renegotiate cash, if not, trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

I got a 00 1.4ltr 47k on the clock VW Polo a few months back, its my first car and I must say i love it to bits. as was said, lower end VW's do seem to be badly specced, but if you get a 00 or newer they do come with Power steering etc.
    Its a fantastic car, light and nippy, and even though when i first sat in it I felt it was design for the vertically challenged, after a few trips to Galway and back I no longer thought that.
    I got mine on the cheap, bought through a dedicated opel dealership so they had no use having it in their lot, If i hadn't of moved on the day it would have been shipped to the VW dealership and im sure someone would have paid about 3k more for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

If i were to pick one id have to say that Ibizas are a great car as is the polo
    but for value for money and a good second hand market for Ibizas id say go for the SEAT, as said when it comes to cars you can't really go wrong with a german car, i think there made in spain but every part on them is VW.
    Polos are one of the best small h/b on the road but prices are way to high but again a very good secondhand market, imo ibizas are polos with a nicer shell and a better price tag.....

Well, just to update on this. I went for a Tigra with about the same mileage as a 98, 99 car (it's a 96) and in very good condition for a really good price. I've got a friend who is going to do all repairs for €150 which is nothing in relation to what a garage would cost.

Hey!
    My old man left his primera in for repairs last week and was given a 96 astraGL for the few days and i have to say what a great car they are! only fault i had with it was how close the gears were, but thats not really an issue as such. Having never driven an opel before i was really surprised and have to say that if i ever move from VW id defo go for an opel, well maybe a primera first but then an opel! Best of luck with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hey!
    My old man left his primera in for repairs last week and was given a 96 astraGL for the few days and i have to say what a great car they are! only fault i had with it was how close the gears were, but thats not really an issue as such. Having never driven an opel before i was really surprised and have to say that if i ever move from VW id defo go for an opel, well maybe a primera first but then an opel! Best of luck with her.

there are loads of great cars out there! don't limit yourself to Opels and Vee Dubs!

Ye i know what your saying, i had the same conversation last night!
    I'm not sure where the VW thing came from cos i'm not the usual vw head
    although i do live in the country at the moment which is where there most at home, i'm driving a really well looked after 93 mk3 1.4 with no p/s and no power maybe 60bhp if i'm lucky but you gota love how dependable and easy to work at they are, my sister drives a civic and when you open the bonnet you can't see the ground with the amount of engine thats in it, not that she has to open it up to often, but with the older golfs theres tons of room to turn a spanner although the startermotor is in a bitch of a place. But anyways i must test drive a couple of brands and compare, theres 5 different cars in the yard so i think i'll spend a few hrs driving through the country side 2morrow

I found from an IBIZA that i test drove that the gears are very lose, and the clutch was VERY hard. The gears on the Tigra go in precise and tightly, although there is still enough play on the gear stick. The clutch comes back at just the right speed too. It's really a lot of fun driving this car!

Advertisement