Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 206 | Peugeot 306 | SEAT Ibiza | VW Polo

Options
  • 16-01-2006 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Hi peeps,

We've got a new runner in this list. Was looking at the Opel Tigra. It's a nice looking car, and before someone asks, no I am not a woman and no I do not swing both ways ;)

Right, I've narrowed down the list of "potential buys" for my first car. I suppose reliability would be my number 1 concern, but eye candy also scores high in my books!

I would rate the cars as follows, in relation to looks;

1.Opel Tigra
    2.Peugeot 206
    3.SEAT Ibiza
    4.Peugeot 306
    5.VW Polo

Just wondering if anyone could shed a light on the relibility and trustworthiness of the cars?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I drove a Peugeot 206 for 2 years, and only had 2 minor problems: brake light stayed on (due to dodgy contact on the brake pedal I think) and - very very minor - boot catch had to be tightened.

It really kept its value well (I owned it from new, and didn't lose much money on it), but probably all of the cars you have mentioned will also keep their value.

Out of all of the cars you mention, the 306 is probably the best drive. Don't know if this is a factor for you, but on some models you can remove the bottom of the rear seats, so the back of the rear seats folds down completely flat - you can fit an amazing amount of stuff then.

The Polo has been chopped and changed a good bit over the years, so it would help if you mentioned what year you are looking at. Traditionally, VW cars come quite poorly specificed at the base level, so don't be surprised to see a lot of models from the late 90's with no electrics or power steering. Personally I found the polo a bit of a pig to drive, and particularly to park, without the power steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Excellent reply man, thanks.

I am currently driving a '01 Corsa 1l, so I think any car will have an improvement in performance for me!

But having said that, the 206 looks like the favourite at the moment. I am looking mainly at '98,'99,'00 cars at the moment. I think I'll cross off the Polo for now so. Any ideas on the SEAT? Practically a rebadged VW?

Excellent reply man, thanks.

I am currently driving a '01 Corsa 1l, so I think any car will have an improvement in performance for me!

But having said that, the 206 looks like the favourite at the moment. I am looking mainly at '98,'99,'00 cars at the moment. I think I'll cross of a Polo for now so. Any ideas on the SEAT? Practically a rebadges VW?

On the actual performance of the 206 - if you go for the 1.1, I don't know if you will notice a huge difference from your Corsa. The Corsa is probably a bit lighter, and I seem to remember the 206 being quite prone to a bit of "wallowing" while cornering.

The good things though:

The upholstering is quite nice, interior door panels and glove box are
    upholstered, so less of the grey plastic to be seen

Remote stereo control on the steering wheel (not too sure if it was standard or not though). This came in the form of an additional lever near the indicator lever, rather than buttons on the steering wheel.

Sunroof (if you get one) is absolutely massive - takes up nearly half the roof

Bit of a gimmick, but some models have automatic windscreen wipers, depending on the downpour. Actually, now I think about it, they were a total gimmick.

As you said, the 206 looks great - it must be 8 years or so old now, and I don't think it has dated at all. For a small hatchback, I think it is still a class leader in the style department.

Edit:

The 207 is due out soon, so this may affect the resale value of the 206. Could be a good or bad thing, depending on when you buy!

Hmm, I actually test drove a 1L Seat Ibiza and found the Corsa to be much nippier. I presume the weight of the car comes into play hear. I'm not a "Boy Racer" whereby I have to make it from A to B in .8 of a second, but I will be adding a few style enhancements to the car. (New Alloys/CD Player/Speakers)

All which I have on the Corsa at the moment. (I don't own the Corsa ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i'd go for the 306, best looking car (206 is too womany imo) best drive, decent power in the 1.4 and you should get one relatively cheap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If you have big feet I would steer clear of the 206, the spacing between the peddles is tiny and will likely result in brake and accelerator being pressed together alot. The Polo/Ibiza are possibly the most reliable of the four looking at car reliability surveys however the engine in them is pretty lower hp and the cars are as heavy as tanks. Out of the 4 you have suggested if you only plan driving in the city or locally I would go with the Ibiza, it has most of the parts from the Polo including the engine and you won't have to pay the VW premium for it. The Peugeots with similar engines will be faster than the VW/Skoda's but in cars this size there's not a huge leap either way.

In relation to the brake/accelerator problem, I had the same problem with the Old Corsa model from 99, kept pressing against the wall on the side when trying to press the accelerator. I'll take them for a test drive before I decide to buy alright.

Thanks for the info... now to look for one that I like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I'm not to sure on the peugeot 206 or 306, i know a few friends/family who have bought the 206 and have had problems with the clutch/brakes/indicator/radio etc, it put me of buying peugeot full stop and also talking to peolpe who actually drive them. I haven't heard anything bad on VW polo or Seat Ibiza as the engine in the seat is also made by VW as far as i know and they are very strong and reliable as well. I bought a vw polo 1996 as my first car and it was great, i had for over 2 years and lucky enough never had any problems with it. I have driven the seat and there also a great car and very strong and fast. I would recommend going for a 01/02 model as they look slightly better then the old models.

The end of the day you want something that is going to be reliable, especially if your driving long distance as well. I would suggest going on to www.cbg.ie and get peolpe comments who have drove the above cars you are interested in. The last piece of advice i would give is to buy from a garage as you get a years guart and the car will be serviced as well

Nice one,

There is some great info here. Not just for my own benefit.

Thanks a lot for the help. I will update on any advancements..

yeh the polo is probably the most reliable to go for but its boring as hell.
    ibiza will also be reliable enough but sluggish cos its a big enough car with a small engine

my first car was a 1.25 zetec fiesta and it was a great car! probaly not the most reliable but i never had to fix anything and it was a great drive!

if you want a car from the list i'd still say look for a good 306, my cousin has one and its a great car, just make sure you get a well looked after one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Of that lot I'd go for the Ibiza - For some reason the shape of the '97 to '00 one really appealed to me - very neat. Ditto the later '02 to '05 one. Make sure whatever car you get has power steering. I had a '97 Ibiza without and it was very heavy to park. Great car though, and really kept it's value. It was like new when I sold it after 3 years.

thats one bad thing about the 306 i doubt it'll hold it's value as good as any of the others

I like the Ibiza before 00, and the one after 01, but the ones around those years look bloody awful.

Right,

I've just seen a '01 Ibiza (new model) that would interest me. Just wondering what I would need to look out for in these cars? (Any known problems)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

I thought the new model started in 02 ?

I have an '03. The only problems I have had -

one coil on cylinder no. 2 failed after about two months (changed under warranty in about 5 minutes)

The back washer tends to fail after very cold weather (the pipe disconnects) have had it fixed at main dealer services

Other than that is has been a great car, nearing 60K miles on the clock now, averages about 48mpg (based on a commute of about 48 miles each way .. city and motorway)

Mine is the 1.2L 64bhp, can be a little under powered especially with more than 2 people in the car. It handles great, give confidence on back roads and has a comfortable driving position and good visability.

The spec level is much higher than that of the equiv polo, 8 speakers, electric everything, heated mirrors, front fogs, colour coded mirrors and bumbers.

I am selling at some stage this year, was considering the new Leon, but will probably go for something bigger and secondhand.

I know that's why I find it a little strange that this '01 is the new model. I'll get to the bottom of it anyway!

I can't stand second hand Irish cars because the Irish settle for crap when buying a car. No SR/EW/EM/ALARM/IMMOB....

Most SEAT cars I have found usually have these, bar the sunroof. So I think a SEAT would be a great car to have, and you get your money worth as well. I really like the new model Ibiza. I don't like the one unit radio/controls in the 00,01 SEAT, because you can't put in your own cd player. You can put a cd changer in all right, but if you want to add decent speakers in the back, you probably need a higher rms output from the CD Player.

What RMS output do these Casette players have in the Ibiza?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you consider the Skoda Fabia? Basically a Polo/Ibiza underneath. The come with alot of toys too as long as you avoid the very basic Classic spec model. The one to look at is the Comfort model which has front foglights, cd player, remote central locking, electric front windows and electric heated mirrors.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=273462
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=291046
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=319033
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=314619

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

What RMS output do these Casette players have in the Ibiza?
    My one had a Seat badged grundig with 4x40W, but I don't think that's RMS, just peak. Sound was great, though, after I put two pioneer mid-ranges in the back. I kept the stereo and the CD changer from this car and put it in the Škoda - but the stock speakers on the Škoda suck.

Just for clarity - the Seat Ibiza models are:
    1988-1994 - Mk 1 Ibiza. Handsome car, but avoid avoid avoid.
    SeatIbiza.jpg

1994-1997 - Mk II Ibiza
    cart_36595464.JPG

1997-2000 - mild facelift, probably nicest shape in Mk II.
    _T9928.jpg

2000-2002 - facelift: different nose, heavier ass, different interior
    _T942.jpg

2002- now - mk III: new car, kind of an Alfa 147 lite.
    seat_ibiza_8.jpg

Think there's a little bit of bodykit on the last (latest model) Ibiza posted there, I think this one is more standard
    5HA_135.JPG
    5HA_315.JPG

bazz26 wrote:
    Did you consider the Skoda Fabia? Basically a Polo/Ibiza underneath. The come with alot of toys too as long as you avoid the very basic Classic spec model. The one to look at is the Comfort model which has front foglights, cd player, remote central locking, electric front windows and electric heated mirrors.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=273462
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=291046
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=319033
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=314619

Skodas aren't the prettiest of cars, but for the same year as the 00 Ibiza, it looks a lot better even then. A bit out of my price range though I'm afraid.

I remember the MKI Ibiza, my aunt and my cousin both had one.. All I can remember with them is problems...

The MkII Facelift is definately my favourite I'd say. Be great if I could find a really well looked after one. The MKIII is the best of course, but really out of range of my budget!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NotToday

If I was thinking VW I'd avoid a Polo and go for a Seat or Skoda - although I've had a Skoda before and while it was reliable, it took ages to get parts for it, but maybe that's changed now they're more popular.

I bought a new Polo in 2004 and have had constant minor problems which have been time-wasting rather than expensive to get sorted. First, the ignition coils (twice) - a common problem in that model, according to the VW dealer. Then the oil started evaporating as the seal on the filler cap was cracked. Thought that might explain why I'm putting oil into it every couple of months but it didn't sort that problem ("that happens a lot with these Polos", said the man in the VW dealership). Then each of my headlamp bulbs blew (on separate occasions) and were so badly replaced each time that I blinded the driver of every oncoming car on the way home. Then a month after my first service (at a cost of almost E400) my brake fluid needed to be topped up. Beginning to find the relaxed "these things happen" attitude of the dealership (a major Dublin VW dealer) quite irritating at this stage - none of the problems has been expensive to fix (most of them were covered by the warranty anyway) but I've wasted a lot of annual leave getting them sorted.

Very pissed off now as I paid over E18k for this car (I bought into that "Volkswagen reliability" myth) and I really can't trust it to do a long journey without another mysterious light appearing on the dashboard. Thinking of trading it in this year for a Seat Ibiza as a couple of people I know drive them and are really happy with them.

I suppose anything that is "German reliability" cannot even be considered in Ireland due to the fact that we actually are IN Ireland. It seems service and methods seem to go out the door over here...

How about we all move abroad! :p

But, in relation to a new car, the SEAT Ibiza is definately the no.1 contender at the moment...if I don't get one of those ones with the stupid "1 piece" control panel. I wan't to put in my own CD player/speakers etc..

I suppose anything that is "German reliability" cannot even be considered in Ireland due to the fact that we actually are IN Ireland. It seems service and methods seem to go out the door over here...

How about we all move abroad! :p

But, in relation to a new car, the SEAT Ibiza is definately the no.1 contender at the moment...if I don't get one of those ones with the stupid "1 piece" control panel. I wan't to put in my own CD player/speakers etc..

I think it's more a case of "German Reliability" being somewhat of a cliche. From what I remember, the likes of Mercedes and VW are slipping down the list of reliable manufacturers in recent years, but people still cling onto the idea that they are bullet-proof.

eoin_s wrote:
    I think it's more a case of "German Reliability" being somewhat of a cliche. From what I remember, the likes of Mercedes and VW are slipping down the list of reliable manufacturers in recent years, but people still cling onto the idea that they are bullet-proof.

Probably. I suppose the Japs still keep their rep. Although sometimes you wish they wouldn't, because the cars are bloody ugly..

Anyone got any opinions on the Opel Tigra?

I've updated the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anyone got any opinions on the Opel Tigra?

I've updated the first post.

not quite as good as a Ford Puma.

colm_mcm wrote:
    not quite as good as a Ford Puma.

Pumas are much too expensive though, unfortunately.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I've been looking at this Seat Ibiza on carzone:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=329948

Hoping it'll still be there on Saturday when I can go see it - but people have warned me off them as the resale value is crap supposedly!
    How true is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

cAr0l wrote:
    I've been looking at this Seat Ibiza on carzone:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=329948

Hoping it'll still be there on Saturday when I can go see it - but people have warned me off them as the resale value is crap supposedly!
    How true is this?

I'd say the combination of this being an old model ibiza and a 1.4 would limit your selling on power alright.

• Advertisement

Well, I just bought a Tigra for a very decent price.

Only thing I need to do is repair sunroof and get rid of two minor dents. Any clue where I could have a look online for repairing the sunroof??

Also, what does it cost these days to fix dents in a car?

Advertisement