Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build just built!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Could just call it DefCon 7.

Guy 1:"What Data setup do you have in you're pc?"

Guy 2:"Oh, I set up something new with the latest build- DefCon 7."

Guy 1:"Duuuuuuuuuuude...."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

*sigh*
    Its all about the e penis people.

And endurance man, I haven't changed my sig file in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

It wouldn't matter at all what % load a PSU is running at.

It's only Current drawn / Efficiency. Whether its a 1k PSU pulling 300watts or a 300 watt PSU pulling 300watts. If they have the same efficiency they're making the same amount of heat and will need the same amount of cooling.

I've never heard of a quiet PCP&C though... They all use triblade Delta leafblowers from what I've heard/seen.

see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3134968&postcount=18
    Col_Loki wrote:
    Generally with the better quality PSU's (and increasing wattage) they have much bigger heatsinks which means lower fan speed and quieter operation. Given lets say a 450w PSU v 350w PSU , to power a system the 450w is going to have less % load on it than the 350w PSU so it tends to have slower running fans....... .

on the big 1kw psu - not as much load which means less heat which means fan runs slower

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

It's only Current drawn / Efficiency. Whether its a 1k PSU pulling 300watts or a 300 watt PSU pulling 300watts. If they have the same efficiency they're making the same amount of heat and will need the same amount of cooling.

This is true, but misleading. The larger unit will be able to dissipate the same amount of heat over a larger area (large power supplies are generally physically large) so will generally require less cooling.

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    you cant have 3 hard drives in raid 0...

You certainly can with software RAID. I doubt most hardware RAID would be overly enamoured with it, but proper hardware RAID is unusual, and certainly rare in mad-gamer-computers.

• Advertisement

rsynnott wrote:
    You certainly can with software RAID. I doubt most hardware RAID would be overly enamoured with it, but proper hardware RAID is unusual, and certainly rare in mad-gamer-computers.

most new decent "home-user" mobos support hardware raid-5 now, so it is becoming more common.

gline wrote:
    most new decent "home-user" mobos support hardware raid-5 now, so it is becoming more common.

Really? Which ones? Bear in mind that most things labelled hardware RAID aren't. (They're often hardware-assisted RAID)

rsynnott wrote:
    Really? Which ones? Bear in mind that most things labelled hardware RAID aren't. (They're often hardware-assisted RAID)

new dfi+asus AFAIK, yeh i dont know wether it is full hardware raid5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

If you're talking about the onboard Silicon Image Si3xx4 then it's hardware-assisted and not full hardware RAID, IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

gline wrote:

Just because somebody else said it before hardly makes it true, the thing about a lower % of maximum load meaning a lower amount of waste heat is just bollox. It has literally zero scientific basis.

Imagine you have 1000w PSU. It's rated at 75% efficiency at 300w draw (Very generous estimate, i'd be amazed if the PCP&C was). Your 300w is 30% of it's rated ability. Look how it doesn't get involved anywhere in these calculations. It will draw

300w / 75% from the wall. =400w
    400 - 300 = 100w of that is wasted by inefficiency. It's pretty much all going to be heat. So lets just say 100w of heat.

Now let's imagine you have a 350watt powersupply with a 75% efficiency rated at 300w draw (pretty possible with an Antec NeoHE or a Seasonic). The 300watt draw is 85.7 % of it's rated power. That doesn't get involved in these calcs at all either.

300w / 75% from the wall = 400w
    400w - 300w = 100w of waste. Lets call all of that heat aswell, I doubt much of it is going to be anything else.

There you have both powersupplies making the exact same amount of heat. The % of rated power has literally NOTHING got to do with waste heat. Assuming that the higher power powersupply will make less noise because it may or may not have larger heatsinks is just away of justifying spending the price of a cheap pc on a powersupply.

300 - 400 watt high efficiency quiet PSUs like NeoHEs and Seasonics totally annihilate this argument.

• Advertisement
Advertisement