Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Careless driving?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

A lot of people would be familiar with the junctions approaching Merrion Sq from Leeson St. the right hand lane is for going right or straight ahead. Taxis always take the left lane so as to avoid the people turning right in the right hand lane. Some of the people they overtake may not be turning right, so techincally they are undertaking these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

U might not get summomed, if u do please get some legal advise on this. They will tell u how strong /weak the offence you're charged with.

Sounds like u got him on a bad day(which might wokr in your favour) doesnt matter how long it took to pull u over, they dont have to pull u straight away, they could be observing your driving or waiting for a safer place to pull u over.

imo if all the traffic was turning right (indicators on etc) then u should be able to overtake on the left(cause u are goin straight on)? unless u where driving in the bus lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Seems pretty weak. Cop on off day/power trip TBH. When you have people driving with no tax/insurance, doing 70mph through estates, and 100+ on the M50, had he nothing better to do. Have similar experiences with cops in the past. Makes me mad :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I was pulled in by guards who followed me at 120mph on the M50 at 1 in the morning.. they said they were going to do everything save murder me and I never heard anything of it except produced my insurance cert.

That was 12 months ago.

I'd wait and see if you even get a summons - and if a guard asked me where I bought my licence I'd ask him for his Garda number.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Go and get legal advice and I would also ask them about the comments that he made to you as you could get off on being ill treated.

I just think you need to go to someone who knows the law backwards on these kind of things and it could save you getting points... It may cost you to get someone but it will cost you on insurance if you don't.

That is if you get summoned of course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I don't know the junction that well but off the top of my head I think it goes like this... the left hand lane is a buslane that becomes a driving lane just before the junction until just after the junction, the central lane is the normal driving lane and there is a short filter lane on the right for turning right. To the best of my knowledge there is an entrance to an apartment complex at the same lights on the left. I don't know what way the road markings are in terms of arrows etc... but the junction layout would be consistent with that left hand lane, after the buslane ends but before the junction, being a filter lane for turning left into the apartment complex and the short stretch after the junction, before the bus lane starts again, being a merging lane for traffic exiting the apartment complex. I'm open to correction, but the reason you've been stopped was for using a left turning filter lane to pass a line of traffic, on the inside, when you were going straight on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

t5pwr wrote:
    That is if you get summoned of course...
    That's another thing ... you often read on here about people who are stopped by the Gardai, given a real dressing down about some alleged offence, and are then left wondering whether they're going to be charged with anything, and if so, what for, for weeks or months on end. Why the hell can't they (like every other country I know of) give you some kind of ticket informing you of what you're being charged with? I assume they fill out some kind of paperwork on the spot with reg number, driver details etc, so why not just give you a carbon copy of that, or is that too simple?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

alias no.9 wrote:
    I don't know the junction that well but off the top of my head I think it goes like this... the left hand lane is a buslane that becomes a driving lane just before the junction until just after the junction, the central lane is the normal driving lane and there is a short filter lane on the right for turning right. To the best of my knowledge there is an entrance to an apartment complex at the same lights on the left. I don't know what way the road markings are in terms of arrows etc... but the junction layout would be consistent with that left hand lane, after the buslane ends but before the junction, being a filter lane for turning left into the apartment complex and the short stretch after the junction, before the bus lane starts again, being a merging lane for traffic exiting the apartment complex. I'm open to correction, but the reason you've been stopped was for using a left turning filter lane to pass a line of traffic, on the inside, when you were going straight on.
    If you look very carefully at the aerial photo, you can see an arrow on the road well before the apartment complex that appears to be a combined straight-on and turn-left arrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dubguy25

I dont think im gonna get legal advice, if anything happens, ill go to all the papers i can, and the local finglas papers, i've been waiting for some reason to get out of this ****ty ****ty country.

Advertisement