Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How noisey is your laptop?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Ballboy

my laptop starts of sort of noisey then it gets silent as a mouse and after about an hour or some game playing it gets so loud!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

steppen wrote:
    anyone have an answer to this?

is there a place you can send the computer to have the cooling system upgraded internally?

1) temperature measurement
    2) Yes they help. But your adding "more" fans. Which also create noise.
    3) None that I've heard off.

The laptop came with sufficent cooling. Thats the way its designed. If you have a hot CPU like a desktop CPU then its going to need more cooling than a cooler CPU like the mobile chips, or a slower CPU. You can reduce the amount of fan noise by keeping the vents, fans and heatsinks dust free. If you can't do this yourself, somewhere like http://www.computersunlimited.ie/ would probably do it for you.

If after the compressed air the machine is still noisy I suggest you consider selling it and buying a cooler quieter laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Fujitsu Point 1600 (P166MMX) - totally noiseless, save for HDD disc accesses (and even then, you'd have to strain to hear them)

Samsung Izzi Pro (MIPS 3000) - totally noiseless at all times (RAM/ROM based, no moving parts)

DELL D600 (Centrino 1.6) - noisier than my old C600 (PIII 750), which was itself noisier than my old Portege 7020CT (PII 300). But not deafeningly so, unless I'm having a 30mins+ session of War Rock (that Radeon chip gets awful hot in there).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Should I blast the compressed air from the outside in? that seems like it might send dust further into the machine. That said, trying to blast from the inside might be impossible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

2 suggestions for laptop users :

Speedfan - control fanspeed
    Centrino Hardware Control - underclock/undervolt better than most manufacturers utilties. Less heat and longer battery life.

Any there's very little risk in using Speedfan contrary to what some posters on this thread would have you believe. It automatically brings the fan speed back to full, if you exceed at max 70C if I remember rightly. thats well before your cpu turns into a molten puddle. Most intel cpu's will shutdown safely and survive even running with no heatsink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Speedfan didn't work for me. It could only find control for the harddrive and that didn't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Yeah same here.
    None of the programs worked for me either.
    They just told me temps, clock speed etc... wohoo

(Acer Ferrari 4005 WmLi)

Probably dont work due to AMD Turion being a
    minority brand etc etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

frobisher wrote:
    Should I blast the compressed air from the outside in? that seems like it might send dust further into the machine. That said, trying to blast from the inside might be impossible!

Under normal conditions air is drawn in some vents and exhausted out other vents. All you are doing is pushing strong air through the same route. Its only dust and should blow clean though.

Usually only mobile CPU's can take advantage of all these power saving measures, speed step etc. Those of us with desktop cpus in out laptops like Celerons and P4's are pretty much stuck at default speeds.

To be honest if you can't blow some air though a laptop, you're probably not the most technical of people. So mucking around with fan speeds and fsb speeds is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Cleared out an unreal amount of dust and crap from the fan too, it made quite a difference. One of my buddies Dell notebooks is about 3 years old and that thing sounds like a hoover and heats the living room.

Dave

Sounds like my dell mobile P4 1.8Ghz :D T'is 3 years old this month. Would not trade her for the world... but yep, run celestia or seti on it and on comes on the hoover. :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Elessar wrote:
    12' iBook here and it's quiet as a mouse. The only time the fan turns on is when im doing some processor intensive stuff and when the HD is running consistantly for a while, which isn't very often. And even then, it's pretty quiet.
    Same laptop here... it's fantastically quiet! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement