Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How noisey is your laptop?

Options
  • 11-01-2006 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I have an Acer Latop. It's a newish one, 3ghz P4, 512ram and oh my god is the fan noisey!! I only started noticing it when my ears where actually ringing after i use it. I use it for work and recreation. many hours everyday, I can't take it any more!! It's like there is a hairdryer in the room!

Can I do anything about this problem? Am I alone here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You can underclock or control the fan; but TBH, it's a powerful fan for a reason.. "3GHz P4"...
    Has it got noisier over time? (Try cleaning the fans, and move the laptop to a location with better air circulation)
    How old is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Iv found with my bros Acer that if you have the power cable plugged in the Fan spins a lot more, like constantly even if the CPU is cool, perhaps just unplug the power cord and see if it helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I used Speedfan to slow down the fan on my old laptop. Its fan I think ran about 50%, at 100% it does sound like a hairdryer, I normally run it between 0 and 20% (auto adjusts). That was fine however for my old laptop, might not be such a good idea with a p4 based system.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Yea same problem here with an acer it is especially noticeable when in a quiet room

muletide wrote:
    Yea same problem here with an acer it is especially noticeable when in a quiet room
    And which model / spec... ?

• Advertisement

The one i have here is a 1650 WLMI, with a 1.7 Centrino thingy. When we dont have the power lead in it is silent about 75% of the time and only spins up now and then, doesnt bother us but if it was doing it all the time it could get annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Karoma:
    It's hard to know if it has got noisier or I have I got more sensitive to the noise. The model is Acer 1670, I'm amazed to read that i can actually control the fan. there's hope for me yet.

Dazberry:
    Great link. I'l be looking into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Karoma wrote:
    And which model / spec... ?

Travelmate 252LC_DT 2.6Ghz 40GB. sorry I am not technical minded so thats the best I can give you It is about 2 years old

Both of you have pentiums which in a laptop get very hot, that is probably your problem. Im not sure turning the fan down is very wise though :confused: . You could damage the chip if its not getting cooled enough, they do get very warm.

Aye - you got powerful chips: the trade-off being silence, battery life, and temp.

Reducing the operation of the fans is unwise. If you do it- ensure that the unit is placed in a well-ventilated location with a the fan(s)/holes unrestricted & clean the fans (Can of compressed air,or vacuum cleaner) + you can get things that raise the laptop + reduce the heat somewhat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

My Sony P4 2.8 started getting noisy. But the compressed air sorted it out. Also use the power saving modes, even when plugged into the AC. It gives the machine a few minutes to cool down when you are not using it for a while. Helps keep the overall temps down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

DON'T mess about with the fan speed. It will damage the Innerds

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

DON'T mess about with the fan speed. It will damage the Innerds
    not if you know what you're doing.

huh huh. innerds. huh huh. :p
    Using the manufacturers' utilities like Sony notebook setup/VAIO Control Centre is safe enough. If you're using a 3rd party app. -check the manual / web for operating temp's for components + decrease fan activity gradually to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Cremo wrote:
    not if you know what you're doing.

Your risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just to add to the topic here. I have a Toshiba notebook, which also has a P4 processor and up until yesterday was getting extremely hot (I couldnt even run Norton without the computer shutting down due to overheating) after a short time and thus the fan running at full speed and so being very annoying.

I think its a trait with the Toshiba notebooks, that you cant get in at the fan to clean it, so, I got one of them blow up bed pumps, the ones Aldi were selling (Powerful blast of air out of them!) and blew it in around the fan, at first a puff of dust came out, then a bit of fluff and hair appeared, I got a tweezers and grabbed it and eventually pulled out a load of dust, hair and fluff!! :eek: :eek: , I was amazed that so much of it was wrapped around the fan wall. But now that its gone the lappy aint heating up and the fan is barely running :D , I'm happy!

Get a can of compressed air, or a powerful pump and try it, you could be amazed.

CroppyBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Compressed air it is!!

Now, where did I put those beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

frobisher wrote:
    Compressed air it is!!

Now, where did I put those beans.

lol :)

yeah i have a dell 9100 (dont ask, it just saves a good bit of space)
    and the fan noise is really loud.
    but unlike my i6000 which is silent :D

If your using compressed air or indeed any air. Make sure the lappy is off and unplugged.

If your using compressed air or indeed any air. Make sure the lappy is off and unplugged.

I'm worried now that that had to be pointed out...
    /loses all faith..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I have a Dell Latitude D810 with a Pentium M processor and it's incredibly quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

insp 8600 2.1mhz P-M and the only time I hear it is when I'm gaming on it or when an AV scan is running....ie not very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Not being an expert on laptops, I assume the cooling fans operate on a temperature measurement and not a timed cycle of operation?

To that end would any of these do-dads help that you sit your laptop on to keep them cool, thus eliminating the need for the noisy fan?

http://www.pccasegear.com/category142_1.htm
    http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Fans-Notebook.htm
    http://www.hardwarecooling.com/default.php/cPath/33

I may wander in to peats some day and see if they sell em, I know for a fact that I'd be pissin everyone in the library off if I went in with my hairdryer of a yolk!

Or are there places you can send you laptop to have the cooling system upgraded internally?

Adds a lot of bulk. However a laptop, even a desktop replacement shouldn't be THAT noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

12' iBook here and it's quiet as a mouse. The only time the fan turns on is when im doing some processor intensive stuff and when the HD is running consistantly for a while, which isn't very often. And even then, it's pretty quiet.

Only destop CPU's in laptops really have this problem. Portable CPU's are generally much much cooler and thus quieter. At least any recent ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

i've a packard bell with a celeron processor, tis very quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

iv the new aldi one, dead quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I have a Vaio A-series Centrino that can run at 1.6Ghz at full speed, but the Sony powersaving software lets you run at "Adaptive", whereby the processor speed drops to 600Mhz when ur just arsing around and not doing anything processor intensive, but leaps back up to fullspeed whenever required (opening Photoshop, encoding a video etc). So, it runs really quiet and very cool. Feckin brilliant. I used to run it at full speed before I discovered the adaptive option, it got pretty warm.

Cleared out an unreal amount of dust and crap from the fan too, it made quite a difference. One of my buddies Dell notebooks is about 3 years old and that thing sounds like a hoover and heats the living room.

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Neil3030 wrote:
    Not being an expert on laptops, I assume the cooling fans operate on a temperature measurement and not a timed cycle of operation?

To that end would any of these do-dads help that you sit your laptop on to keep them cool, thus eliminating the need for the noisy fan?

http://www.pccasegear.com/category142_1.htm
    http://www.mycableshop.com/3rd_Level/Fans-Notebook.htm
    http://www.hardwarecooling.com/default.php/cPath/33

I may wander in to peats some day and see if they sell em, I know for a fact that I'd be pissin everyone in the library off if I went in with my hairdryer of a yolk!

Or are there places you can send you laptop to have the cooling system upgraded internally?

anyone have an answer to this?

is there a place you can send the computer to have the cooling system upgraded internally?

Advertisement