Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Wicklow - filthy & always out of stock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

valerie wrote:
    you must be joking Greystones Tesco is worse than the one in wicklow,it is always out of products I need so end up going to Bray Tesco which I think is the best out of all of them.
    I'd say that you're the one who has to be joking unless the Greystones Tesco has gone dramatically downhill in the last year or two since I lived there.

I've seen things in the Bray Tesco that'd make your stomach squirm, like over their sell-by date bagged salads left out of the chill cabinet on a scruffy paint-chipped trolley with "Reduced" stickers on them, that are so rotten that the bag has blown up and the 'salad' has been reduced to a brown soggy mass in the bottom of the bag. When I've pointed this out to the manager of the veg section, he just shrugged his shoulders and mumbled something like "I'll chuck that out, then". No apology, no "that shouldn't happen", no checking to see if there are any more similar bags there. I could go on ...

I think that one thing that's clear fom some of the experiences people have voiced here, plus my own, is that the perceived quality of any store chain is highly dependant on the quality of the individual stores. This, in turn, is pretty much 100% down to the individual store's management, their overall ethos and and their attitude towards quality, staff and customers.

Regarding my complaints about Tesco's in Bray, I've never received anything so much as an apology (at least not a sincere one) from the store management themselves when I've complained, but the people behind the customer service desk have always been very helpful, and have on one or two occasions said something like "I keep on telling the management about that, but they never do anything about it". Says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

whiskeyman wrote:
    (By the way, I'd advise everyone to read "The Customer is King" by ex Superquinn head Fergal Quinn). ;)
    ... for advice on how not to run a supermarket. If that guy put as much time into running his supermarket as he did talking about running his super market maybe he'd not be so far behind the main players. Hell, Aldi and Lidl from a standing start have nearly passed him out. I agree that it's a good experience but it's obviously not good enough.
    Isn't it the same for all tesco s ? They're aimed at the lower end of the market.
    Not so. Tesco are one of the few supermarkets that is aimed at all segments of the market (think Tesco Finest, Tesco regular, and Tesco value lines). That is, in part, why they are the fourth biggest supermarket chain in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

bluewolf wrote:
    Tesco in Maynooth is pretty good I think.

I went in there for 2 things recently and they didn't have either of them in stock

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Tesco Mahon Point - 24 hr opening..

went in one day - no spuds !!!

another day - no bananas

Christmas Eve - no nappies !

Another day - no milk !

As for management - one day their manager was sitting on someone elses car having a smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Don't complain just don't go. Just listened to a radio show where they spoke of Irish people and their ability to complain. Basically we moan no matter what so people don't listen and as we still shop in the places there is no need to change.

Just don't shop there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I have to agree about the supermarkets here compared to the UK. However what I will say is support your local shops instead ( and I don't mean the rip off Londis type shops ) .

I wrote a similar letter once when I walked into Tesco Celbridge to find no freash fuit/veg at all , no milk and no bread all staples I would have throught . I got exactly the same reply as you , but I have heard nothing from the store and it's just as bad as it ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Alun wrote:
    I'd say that you're the one who has to be joking unless the Greystones Tesco has gone dramatically downhill in the last year or two since I lived there.

I've seen things in the Bray Tesco that'd make your stomach squirm, like over their sell-by date bagged salads left out of the chill cabinet on a scruffy paint-chipped trolley with "Reduced" stickers on them, that are so rotten that the bag has blown up and the 'salad' has been reduced to a brown soggy mass in the bottom of the bag. When I've pointed this out to the manager of the veg section, he just shrugged his shoulders and mumbled something like "I'll chuck that out, then". No apology, no "that shouldn't happen", no checking to see if there are any more similar bags there. I could go on ...
    no I am not joking! since you have not been in Tescos in 1-2 yrs how can you imply that what I have posted isnt credible?? If in the next 1-2 yrs you are in Greystones have a look yourself.I doubt it will have changed much.They sell stuff with reduced stickers too.Stuff you wouldnt give to an a animal let alone consume.I now go to superquinn and supervalu the service is better and the place is clean and the fruit is always well displayed.The managers there go out of their way to help you.

valerie wrote:
    no I am not joking! since you have not been in Tescos in 1-2 yrs how can you imply that what I have posted isnt credible?? If in the next 1-2 yrs you are in Greystones have a look yourself.I doubt it will have changed much.They sell stuff with reduced stickers too.Stuff you wouldnt give to an a animal let alone consume.I now go to superquinn and supervalu the service is better and the place is clean and the fruit is always well displayed.The managers there go out of their way to help you.
    Whoa there !!!

What I was finding strange was your comment that Bray Tesco's was (your quote) "the best out of all of them". We used to shop there regularly until about 6 months ago, and still pop in every now and then under protest since it's the closest place for those odd things you forget. It's still as horrible as it always was, and visiting it just serves to remind me why we left.

When we first moved from Greystones to Bray, it was immediately very noticeable how much worse the Bray store was than the Greystones one, and I guess I'm just finding it hard to believe that in the meantime the Greystones store has actually managed to get worse than the Bray store ... if that's even humanly possible.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Id be interested to see how dirty it is.

In Londis in Tramore, the place is a tip. Gone through loads of Managers and nothings improved. Floors are always dirty, the cleaning ppl make it a LOT worse. There not the nicest staff either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

The Tesco in Drogheda has to be the worst. It is always out of stock of basic stuff. It has no parking so you have to trundle your trolley up the town to a pay parking place. It is up against competition from the new Dunnes in Scotch Hall which is cleaner and has a car park even though you have to pay and a lot of the staff are really rude. Lidl have been blocked from opening in the town by rgdata as have aldi so we have no alternative but go to balbriggan or dundalk. There is talk of planning permission going in for a new Tesco at the railway station which would be great the more competition the better.
    I think that emailing this thread to Tesco would be a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

ok sent email with the thread.Also pointed out that they should get there act together,lets see what happens if anything.Will keep you informed and let yous know of any reply.:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 charlietangodel

I have shopped in Tesco in Ballybrack at least once a week for the past 4 years. This morning I visited the shop at 11am. There were no baskets available and I had to search for one. There was no staff on hand to help. There was fruit on the shelves which was rotting. There was bluemolded bread on the shelves also. The lids had burst off some yogurt pots and they had spilled in the refridgerator. The floor of the lobby area of the shop, close to the customer service desk, was extremely dirty and there were cigarette butts strewn about. I had to queue for a substantial amount of time to pay for a small basket of goods. Out of about 20 Cash registers, only 3 were open. All 3 open registers had at least 3 customers waiting, most of which had full trolleys of items. I spoke to a Manager named Mr Adrian Dunne. When I raised the point about no baskets available he informed me that all the baskets had been removed from the store by the customers. That is not the fault of the remaining customers who need the baskets to shop! He gave me the well rehearsed line that he would take my concerns on board. I complained once before but nothing changed last time either.
    Tesco in Ballybrack has never been a well run store. The managers in Tesco Ballybrack must have no pride in their store or indeed themselves to allow such a poorly run establishment. All in all, the place is a dirty and very badly run establishment and because of my experience in Tesco this morning, I certainly will not shop in any Tesco store, ever again. I suggest Tesco in Ballybrack employ additional cleaning and cash register staff.

I, one of millions of consumers in Ireland refuse to continue to endure poor service, goods and establishments.

I've mailed the Management and a few other consumer based organisations.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Most tescos are really awful. We generally don't shop there apart from Kerr's Pinks potatoes which they do seem to stock (good for making fresh chips).

We have a buy from irish stores policy in our house and therefore shop in Superquinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What is wrong with all you people?
    First of all, there doesn't seem much point in complaining about something that's happening continuously, like filthy stores and out of date goods. The managers are well aware..they're not blind, they just don't care because they know they'll always have customers.

Secondly, if you don't like the store - and especially if you've received no response to a letter of complaint - shop somewhere else! Vote with your feet! It really drives me mad how Irish people will put up with sh*tty customer service, it makes things worse for the rest of us because they think they *can* treat their customers like dirt!

I usually shop in Tesco in Dundrum or Jervis centre and they're fine, but my god, the one's in Phibsboro and Prussia street are just AWFUL. Hard to believe it's the same chain. Do they not have any regional managers or mystery shoppers visiting their branches?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

NotToday wrote:
    Ballymun is really terrible - it's rumoured that they dump almost out of date stock from Clearwater and Omni there and I think it might be true.

I can catagorically deny that this is the case. Out of date stock gets dumped, end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Its not just Dublin that tesco have problems - tesco naas - is appalling, Newbridge is reasonably stocked but there is more litter in the carpark than in the Kilcullen tip - never baskets and trollies are in many case blocking the car lanes because thet're too lazy to move them back up to the stopre entrance.

Since last month have used Super value in Monasterevin and the wife uses Supervalue in Clane on the way home. Prices are within a penny or two and service is unbelieveably good. Has some decent unusual products too and reminds me of the superquinn of old in Blackrock.

Alway use local butcher for meats. - Cheaper and far far tastier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Recently moved back to the old sod of wicklow after been living in dundrum for 2 years.

I'm saddened to see that I was spoiled shopping in Super Quinn Ballinteer.
    When you walk in their doors your at almost any hour your hit by the delicious smell of fresh foods, unlike tesco when you just get hit by the smell of the air conditioning.

If it wasnt for my unwavering loyalty to Kellog's corn flakes (accept no substitute) All my shopping would be done in Lidl. Better quality better service. Choice: A polite (and attractive) polish girl in Lidl or a Loud incompetent "shonny" in tesco?

I know That came across as wicklow snobbery at its worst... but still!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Superquinn ballinteer is indeed a spoiling for anyone who shops there (the other thread about them notwithstanding). The bakery, pizza, deli, hot food and butchery are definitely top notch - so they're allowed to cost a few cents more than tesco. I never find tesco's appealing although i always look forward to wandering around Superquinn.

Sad that ballinteer was allowed run down, and was/is still being mismanaged. Great food there, and lots of really nice top notch staff. Much better than that souless asylum down in tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BrianMVP

I agree with ya its a kip. People should boycott the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aslantheslayer

Just to upset all of you, Dunnes stores are no better!

I used to work in the Drapery side of Dunnes but have see things in the grocery side that would make your toes curl.

For ~Instance

Fresh Milk being left out of a chiller for 5 hours before finally being put out into the fridges.

Frozen Food becoming defrosted, and then put back into Freezers that hadnt broken down for sale.

Special offer stock being split down and sold as singles instead of Buy one Get One Free!

Taking coke from the sales floor valued at 60Cents and selling it in the cafe for 1.50!
    And So ON!

However I live in Galway and my Dunnes is better stocked than Tesco. I wouldnt say our Tesco is Dirty but is almost nearly always out of stock of items.

Store Managers arent to blame fully though. When most stores went 24hours Tesco`s and Dunnes thhere Management werent given any extra hours to manage the stores. Instead the logic was to spread the same hours throughout the day as customers wouldnt be all shopping throughout the same hours any longer.

However what Area Managers and head office idiots forgot was that by using the same staffing hours and spreading throughout the day, you would still need x amount of staff for tills, deli counters, customer services etc. Thus Managers are left with either having no staff for tills, and all the staff on the shop floor packing out, or trying to balance out the hours throughout the day.

Dunnes nearly went the same way, but now you will see a lot of there stores that were 24hours now going back to late shopping.

How Dunnes make money shocks me, In Galway they are now building two new stores, 1 in salthill and the other in oranmore. This will now bring there total in Galway to 6!

Meanwhile we just have the same old *hitty Tesco. Why can Tesco build some of there Tesco Extra stores like they have in the UK? If nobody knows these Tesco`s are so big, some staff where Rollersckates on the shop floor to get around! I kid you not!

What we really need is Asda to move down from the north and really Give Dunnes and Tesco a run for there money,

And we to coin a phrase" Can pocket the difference"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

Tesco Celbridge - what a kip. Thank God dunnes is only 5 miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Just to add my 2 cents worth, tesco in ashbourne is fine. Staff are helpful, place in clean and tidy and anything ive gone in for has been there. Also if you get overcharged for anything and bring it to their attention you get the item for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Whatever else about Tesco in Galway city anyway, at least it is clean, thankfully after reading some of these reports about other branches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 miketcali

First of all, before some of you British snobs get too happy with your criticism of the Irish, try learning to spell first. Secondly, I would like to share a bit of info that may interest you on where all the good service in your towns are going to. Tesco is opening 48 stores in Southern California starting this October. By November, they will begin opening stores in Las Vegas, Nevada, (hellooooo 7!)and in Phoenix, Arizona. This was this mornings news, Pacific time U.S.A. The new stores will be called, "Fresh&Easy". Pretty catchy title, eh? Go to, www.freshandeasy.com to read their bull crap languaged goggly goop about how wonderful they are with customer service. I read 2/3 of the comments on this thread about Tesco, and it reminds me too much about Home Depot, where I spent 8 yrs. as an employe trying to be patient and see things get good before quitting.(I guess that's the Irish in me. I hate to quit). But it will never get better while the corporate beasts are taking from current store's hours and puting into new ventures. I researched Fresh&Easy because yahoo.com made a big deal about todays big news about Fresh&Easy. So I was led to their parent company, Tesco, on their website. I was so excited thinking, "maybe this would be a great investment!" Well, regardless, I won't invest in Tesco or any company like them, who make the employees suffer along with the customers, providing poor service so they can go to other countrys and pretend they are so great. Oh well. God bless you all over there.
    Michael Tobin

tooley wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed that Tesco Wicklow is always out of stock and has to be one of the most filthiest stores in this country. A couple of weeks ago I wrote the following email to Tesco ...

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to you in connection with the Tesco Wickow store. As a resident
    of Wicklow town I regularly use the Wicklow store. Unfortunately I have to
    admit my frustration grows with each returning visit to Tesco Wicklow. At
    this stage I have turned a blind eye to the fact that it's one of the
    dirtiest stores I have ever shopped in, a comment which is also shared by a
    number of my neighbours and friends in the Wicklow area.

On using the store tonight I was astonished to find that there was hardly
    anything for sale in your vegetable department. Let me just reiterate that
    there was none of the following items...

No tomatoes
    No salads
    No strawberries
    No mushrooms

And these are only the items that I was shopping for!! I think at this point
    it's worth pointing out the defenition of the word 'store'

1 - A place where merchandise is offered for sale
    2 - A stock or supply reserved for future use
    3 - A place where commodities are kept

This is not a once off occurrence thus my reason for going out of my way to
    submit this email. I have to admit my ever increasing trips from Wicklow to
    Dunne Stores Cornelscourt (a distance of 24 miles) really does enforce the
    vast gulf of quality that exists between Dunnes and Tesco. Given I have not
    witnessed any improvment since moving to the Wicklow area over 3 years ago I have little hope that this email will have any impact (unfortunately).

Regards,
    Disgruntled
    ======================================================

I then received the following response ...

Subject: Re: Tesco Wicklow

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.
    I am sorry that you have found cause to complain about our Wicklow branch.
    I will certainly pass a copy of this to our Management team in the store for them to address the issues you have raised.
    Once again thank you for your time.
    Regards

Customer Service Manager
    Tesco Ireland
    ======================================================

Since then nothing has changed, if anything it's got worse!! Has anyone else noticed this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

You sir, don't know what you're talking about, a couple of complaints about what's basically one of the biggest shopping chains in the country and all of a sudden they're the devil incarnate. And if you done you're research correctly, you'll find that they invest a hell of alot more in their staff than a certain home grown supermarket chain does. Get back to researching, one thread on boards.ie does not mean you've all the answers.

And what the hell are you talking about, "British Snobs" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Dig up an old thread and then double post on it, why dontcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

miketcali wrote:
    First of all, before some of you British snobs get too happy with your criticism of the Irish, try learning to spell first.

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 AJ2012

Tesco Lucan is my local branch and whilst it is not the most enjoyable of shopping experiences it doesn't seem to be as bad as some of the branches described in this thread. But as I mentioned previously on another thread the quality of food at their hot food counter is quite shocking sometimes. And they rarely have enough people operating the tills. Thankfully we have Superquinn close by also which is just in a different league. Suerquinn Lucan is a fantastic store.

Advertisement