Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Tailgating'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Bond-007 wrote:
    Your washer jets must be very badly adjusted? :D

Not at all, the water has to go somewhere once the wipers have done their job and most of it goes over the roof of your car and falls to the ground normally but if you're being tailgated, its going to hit the tailgators windscreen before gravity can take it down.

@ Kersh, I think we've had this discussion before and I'm not going to debate it at length again but when a car moves left from in front of you, what do you do?

I'll hazard a guess that you'll close up on the next car but feel free to correct me.

So when a car wants to move into the overtaking lane to overtake slow moving traffic in the left lane and you're in a line of traffic in the overtaking lane, why is it such a chore to fall back a little and let them? Surely that's good road manners. The reality is that unless they're exiting from the exact same slip road and going the same direction at the junction at the top of the slip road, them being in front of you for a few miles makes no difference what so ever to your journey once they're keeping up with the traffic in front of them. Hell, they might even demonstrate the type of manners you declare them to be lacking and move straight back into the left hand lane once passed the slow moving traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

I can tell the difference between a driver and a chancer. Of the 7 cars today, 4 pulled back into the slow lane, undertook, then moved back into the fast lane, this is weaving... and these are the ones who jump gaps. The normal driver who wants to get out will indicate.... then I drop back and let him in... cos he has manners. But until someone indicates I wont drop back. As for what i do when someone pulls left, it depends, sometimes ill pull in to left lane after him. Or else ill crawl up to the car in front and take my journey from there. I stay in left lane if the traffic is quick enough, but it rarely is on m50...in the left lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

funny story , i was coming home from college goin onto the M50 from ballymun southbound. I was doing reasonable speed down the slip road and some guy in a focus saloon was right up my ass down the slip rd! - i found this funny so i just floored it a bit and he tried too keep up , so then i just floored properly and left him behind(my cars wayy faster) , but 2 mins later i slowed down again and he tries to overtake me in the overtaking lane and gives me the finger, only to get stuck behind a car on the overtaking lane going slowly, then i pulled up right beside him and drove at exactly the same speed as him essentailly boxing him in!
    I was laughing my face off at him and the anger in his face was hillarious!!!!:D

about a 1 min later i just gunned it again and left him for dust!! HAHA :D

now thats what i call enjoyable driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

Sounds like dangerous driving to me. I would have just let him pass to avoid the agro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

morlan wrote:
    Sounds like dangerous driving to me. I would have just let him pass to avoid the agro.

NEVER!! ...have you ever heard of 1up-manship? :p

Kersh wrote:
    I can tell the difference between a driver and a chancer. Of the 7 cars today, 4 pulled back into the slow lane, undertook, then moved back into the fast lane, this is weaving... and these are the ones who jump gaps. The normal driver who wants to get out will indicate.... then I drop back and let him in... cos he has manners. But until someone indicates I wont drop back. As for what i do when someone pulls left, it depends, sometimes ill pull in to left lane after him. Or else ill crawl up to the car in front and take my journey from there. I stay in left lane if the traffic is quick enough, but it rarely is on m50...in the left lane.

Fair enough, weaving bugs me too, but I find it much less stressful to ignore it or at least not worry about it because there's nothing I can do to affect their behaviour without potentially risking my own and other peoples safety.

defo agree there alias, i just humm on down the motorway, watching the brutal lane discipline and complete lack of awareness when merging.... or leaving the m50 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Integra

I hate when trucks pull out into the overtaking lane and cant build up enough speed to actually overtake, so everyhting is just slowed down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Tailgating is my (driving) pet hate !!

Last Sunday night I was heading down the country doing just below the speed limit all of the way. Anyway, I saw a jeep tailgating/intimidating the car behind me. He overtook the car behing me and sped up to within 2 feet of my bumper - I was so pi~~ed off I can tell you :mad:
    Normally I would let it go, but this time I just tirned on my rear fogs to tell him to back off.

His response ? He turned on four front fog lights/driving lights to blind me ?!!
    Now I was even more pissed off, and instead of leaving my fogs on for a few seconds, I left them on for many minutes. He continued to blind me (and oncoming cars!).

I switched my fogs off after c.2-3 mins and dropped my speed from 100k to about 60k (this was on a 100k road) to annoy him even more.

(After another few mins he had the chance to overtake me and did so).

I'm normally a placid driver but sometimes the idiots out there just get to you!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

Kersh wrote:
    I can tell the difference between a driver and a chancer

hmmmmm.....so what are you then? if you think there is ever any justification for tailgating you just plain wrong...i agree with you about the manners...with progressive and curtieous driving a lot of congestion would be reduced..but tailgating is never good...you cant make the excuse that other people are bad drivers therefore i wont let them in front!!

Watch me... Seriously though, I have tried the mannerly approach, but i end up getting annoyed. Its a fact of life today, people are way more ignorant, so i just return the compliment.
    On back roads its a different story , standard safety applies then, but defo not on the m50.... ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

I find alot of the roads have plenty of space for the driver to stay to the left of the road to enable a safe overtaking move. I really wish more people would do this. Since the 80k on some roads came in i often find myself going along at 75km on roads with 100km speeds. As far as i see it whenever someone comes up behind me and if the road is a good one i will always pull to the side of the road and not stay on the white line as most cars do. If the person behind is going faster then me then excellent as he'll go by and ill have a clear road again behind and in front, i would greatly appriciate anyone who does this for me and the way i see it is we're all happy then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I never tailgate, but one thing that gets me is people who drive at 80kmh in a 100kmh speed limit zone. They just dawdle along oblivious to the people they're holding up. I would overtake, but when you're driving a 10 year old vw polo, you need about a miles clearance to do a safe manouver. These cars simply aren't powerful enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Silvera wrote:
    He turned on four front fog lights/driving lights to blind me ?!!

What are Front Fog Lights/Driving Lights? Front Fog Lights are Just that "Front Fog Lights ie. for FOG!
    Silvera wrote:
    Now I was even more pissed off, and instead of leaving my fogs on for a few seconds, I left them on for many minutes. He continued to blind me (and oncoming cars!).

That makes you as bad as him. You were blinding other cars too. When are people going to learn that Fog lights are for FOG! Think yourself lucky the Gardai were'nt around. You could have found yourself in hot water too. Don't get me wrong the Guy tailgating you was totally wrong but as the saying goes " Two Wrongs don't make a Right!"

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw a typical tailgating incident this morning. Cars were pretty very close together, driving at 60kph. I got to a roundabout, started slowing down, and heard a crunch a couple of cars behind me. I saw the back bumper of the car 2 behind be disintegrate in my rear view mirror. I was lucky there wasn't a knock-on...

Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule!

http://www.getinlane.com/page92.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

pontovic wrote:
    I never tailgate, but one thing that gets me is people who drive at 80kmh in a 100kmh speed limit zone. They just dawdle along oblivious to the people they're holding up. I would overtake, but when you're driving a 10 year old vw polo, you need about a miles clearance to do a safe manouver. These cars simply aren't powerful enough

100 km/h is the maximum speed limit. People don't have to drive at that speed. I personally don't always drive at the speed limit. I drive at a speed that I feel comfortable.

When I drive on the motorway I sometimes cruise at 90 - 100km/h even though there is a 120km/h speed limit. I just make sure that I drive in the left lane. If someone wants to overtake me then they can move into the overtaking lane and do so.

What does irritate me is when someone sits in the overtaking lane at about 100km/h and doesn't move out of the way when someone is behind them. Most drivers don't realise that the overtaking lane should only be used for overtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

PaulKK wrote:
    What gets on my nerves is if your in a line of traffic, say on a road
    with a limit of 80km/h, doing 80km/h, and some twat is tailgaiting you.

Such an ignorant attitude. Just because you are doing the speed limit does not give you the right of way to stay in the overtaking lane :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Big Balls wrote:
    Such an ignorant attitude. Just because you are doing the speed limit does not give you the right of way to stay in the overtaking lane :rolleyes:

He didnt mention anything about an over-taking lane. I presume he was talking about a 2 lane, two way road... I think you need to read the posts in a little more detail before calling people ignorant

• Advertisement

Trucks are supposed to be governed and are not allowed to exceed 50 MPH (80 KPH??) on any road. begsthe question as to why new trucks are often seen to do up to and over 120KPH!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Trucks are supposed to be governed and are not allowed to exceed 50 MPH (80 KPH??) on any road. begsthe question as to why new trucks are often seen to do up to and over 120KPH!!!
    You would think that. However, tacho checks are very rare and they are likely to keep getting away with it. Speed limiters left on only for the annual DOE test and then disconnected afterwards. Scandalous and the Gardai just don't care.

I was overtaken on a dangerous piece of N road the other night by a truck doing in excess of 120 km/h I was doing the 100 limit and he just breezed by me. Rang Gardai who said there was nothing they could do unless they caught him in the act. :mad:

Advertisement