Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Tailgating'

Options
  • 04-01-2006 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

This is something that really annoys me! Why do ppl insist on coming up the a*se of my car???? Is it supposed to make me go quicker or what?? I end up just pulling over.... Do be nearly afraid to use the brakes incase they hit me! What idiots!

Does this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

they do it for you to either go quicker or move out of the way.
    I never do it ,unless some twat/twatess is driving in the fast lane on motorway at 60 mph when other lane is free and is not overtaking.

edit: also juding by your name , if u actually do drive an integra , they're most probably asking for a race

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Why is this in modified motors ?

Chief--- wrote:
    Why is this in modified motors ?

maybe some cap wearing guy in a civic did it to him ,lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Integra

lol, it was a civic! Sorry, should really be in motors tho :/

I dont drive an Integra haha and I dont race

Integra wrote:
    lol, it was a civic! Sorry, should really be in motors tho :/

I dont drive an Integra haha and I dont race

yeah , he was most probably lookin for a race then.
    always happens to me too.

edit: what colour was the civic and was it saloon or hatchback?

my friend has one , and is literally always doin that crap - i do warn him though.

• Advertisement

It was a dark green hatchback.... Well he wont get a race then lol

wasnt him so , but if a silver saloon 1.6Vti does that to ya , let me know ,lol

haha I will.... so many civics about tho!! Some are real nice I have to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I hate tailgaters, I find though the main offenders of tailgating are vans and trucks. I encounter it alot on the roads conisdering I'm not a fast driver. Sometimes I give them the 'braking treatment', usually I pull in and let them pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Integra wrote:
    This is something that really annoys me! Why do ppl insist on coming up the a*se of my car???? Is it supposed to make me go quicker or what?? I end up just pulling over.... Do be nearly afraid to use the brakes incase they hit me! What idiots!

Does this happen to anyone else?

Better to just let them go by and bother someone else.
    if there is no way of letting them past, increase the distance between you and the car in front, caus if there is a reason to stop, your tailgator does not see it until later, by which time they are in your rear seat. So you need more distance for THEM to stop.

worst is where someone is sitting on your tail, you pull over to let them past and they refuse to go past.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Generally a light tip of the brake pedal will fix this*

* I do not condone asking-for-an-accident, but on my car, as soon as you touch the brake pedal the brake light comes on, without actually applying the braking system :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

You could also flick your fog lights on and off. For the first few minutes they'll think you're hitting the brakes....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

peckerhead wrote:
    You could also flick your fog lights on and off. For the first few minutes they'll think you're hitting the brakes....:D

I LIKE IT! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hargo

whats the fast lane of the motorway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

hargo wrote:
    He means the overtaking lane, but he never read the 'Rules of the Road' book, so he calls is "the fast lane".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

hargo wrote:
    I already answered you, so chill out with the double posts, yeah?

its the overtaking lane ( i call it the fast lane) ..but anyway, you get my point.
    as i said i dont condone this behaviour, but when you are travelling on the M50 at 2am and there's some tard driving in the overtaking lane at 60mph , i just can help my self.
    the awareness of some drivers in this country is appauling.

when i was coming back from a nightclub with another freind one night it was 3am and nobody on the motorway and he was driving on the overtaking lane the whole way , i questioned him about it (even while drunk i noticed this)...to which he replied "who cares, theres no-one else on the road" typical mentality of most irish drivers .

-this gets worse though in the afternoon when on the M50 two cars are driving parallel to each other at exactly the same speed !! -now you have to admit this gets to you!!! ......outta me way ya bleedin Muppeh'! j/k

He means the overtaking lane, but he never read the 'Rules of the Road' book, so he calls is "the fast lane".

by the way, easy on the acusations there sunshine.

sorry about double post i didn't know it had gone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If some c*nt is tailgating me I just drive slower to p*ss them off. I wouldn't mind but I drive at a reasonable speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Tailgating is just stupid and shortens your view into the future.
    I can really understand the above posts it's amazing the way people do it.
    A guy pulled out in front of me the other day it was a close call, I gave him a gentle beep on the horn, and darned if he didn't brake test me, just slammed on for no reason.
    Luckily i had stayed well back.

Another thing (i'm ranting) I see this all the time, someone wants to overtake the car in front of them so they tailgate then pull out.
    This has 2 effects they can't really see ahead of them, and it forces the manouvre to start at the lead cars speed.
    Instead of holding back where you can see the road and start to accelerate before overtaking, this puts you on the wrong side of the road for the shortest time.
    :) sorry rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

A few years ago I had a taxi pull out in front of me from a side road causing me to emergency brake. Blew the horn, and he reversed at me, and got out challenging me! My passenger convinced me not to get out and wup the nut. Reported him to cops, and had the person behind as witness. The cops came and took a statement but that was last I heard of it.

Had another one tailgate me, pulled in let them buy and he pulled and started tailgating me again. I dunno what it is with those morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

I was tailgated yesterday driving through citywest by a lady in a red Mazda 323 who literally drove so close to me I thought I was towing her car. The really dodgy thing about it was that she had a child of about 5 perched in the middle of the driver/passenger seat on the armrest who I kept on seeing trying to reach for the steering wheel :eek:

She had no concept of a safe driving distance and when I ended up pulling in to let her past she proceeded to do the same to the next person in front and actually accelerated to catch up with them!

She was scarier than any boy racer ever tailgating me !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The best way to piss off a tailgator is to give a spray of the windscreen washer, the spray will fly back over your car onto their windscreen. It's good fun to look at their faces as they reach to put on their own wipers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Your washer jets must be very badly adjusted? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

What gets on my nerves is if your in a line of traffic, say on a road
    with a limit of 80km/h, doing 80km/h, and some twat is tailgaiting you.

What i've also experianced in the same situation is such pricks overtaking
    me into the gap I've left between myself and the next car. WTF!!??

I'd love to know what they think they're going to achieve??

Anybody else experiance this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Although its annoying, i always try and get and get out of their way ASAP. Its better to haver the muppets ahead of you than behind you and with any luck, they end up in a crash further ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Many of these tailgaters are just braindead zombies driving along on autopilot. They are not thinking about the act of driving and are staring at the patch of road 2 feet in front of their car. They haven't a clue about what speed they're doing, speed limits, stopping distances etc. They just travel along at a "comfortable speed" or at whatever speed the car they're tailgating is going at. They don't overtake even when they have perfect opportunities. They are the sort of driver who will travel at 45 mph on a motorway and 45 mph through a 30 mph zone and the same speed in fog. They don't turn their lights on in fog either but if they do the rear fog light will still be on 6 months later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Hmm, tailgating on windy single lane roads bugs me too. But on motorways, like the m50, tailgating is practically a neccessity. Since I saw this thread back on the 1st page I thought i'd take some mental notes on my way to work today. -
    I got on m50 at 12pm, at Ballymun, I got off at Clondalkin. In this short space of road, I was about 4 car lengths behind a small van. He left a gap to the car in front of him, (8 to 10 car legth)- he had no less than 7 cars jumped into that space (4 bmws, 1 saab, a vito van, an A4). He kept having to drop back to maintain the gap, and then another would 'literally' dive into the gap again (as they themselves came up behind some idiot doing 45 in the left lane, but thats another story altogether). I find this 'diving' nearly as annoying as Gt turbos tacked to my rear bumper...But i do honestly think road manners in this contry are pure sh1te, so I stay 4 car lengths behind anyone on the m50, as its safer than some idiot diving into a small gap, making you brake, like the guy in the van today.

Lol, just read BrianD3 s post, so right.....

Advertisement