Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's who here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 p1x1e

[Buffalo i'm so lost (as usual....) who's who in here? PM or something.]

howdy peoples! i did BA Arch & Soc, MSc Buffalos ma (that in itself might indicate to people who i am...it's a "haunted" archaeological forum!)
    Muiris for president of the world- his mr tickel tie as 2nd in command.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

More of a palaeontology guru myself. Taught I'd have a snoop around while you were all at the beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

Gaviscon wrote: »
    More of a palaeontology guru myself. Taught I'd have a snoop around while you were all at the beers.

You missed the beers, you should have come!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lunny-la

Oooh! I just discovered this forum!!

Im outta UCD archaeology, did me MA and BA there a little while ago!

Fun Times!

lunny-la wrote: »
    Oooh! I just discovered this forum!!

Im outta UCD archaeology, did me MA and BA there a little while ago!

Fun Times!

Welcome to the forum Lunny-la!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Nutlog!!!

SORRY TROWELLED!!!

Work got in the way of liquor! This is the first chance I've had to go online in weeks!

Nutlog!!! wrote: »
    SORRY TROWELLED!!!

Work got in the way of liquor! This is the first chance I've had to go online in weeks!

Nooooo work got in the way of alcohol, blasted work. I was the only archaeologist there. In fact me and buffalo were the only ones from the forum. The others were other boardsies. You'll have to arrange the next one now :p

Speaking of beers (granted that was nearly two months ago), the palaeontology people (similar branch of science, also involves digging up old stuff) ae having a meet-up on the 25th
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055394120

If anyone's interested they are more than welcome to come.

How's THAT for diplomacy? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Bleah! I'd love to come, but I reckon I'll be in Dingle that night. Next time though, and ta for the invite Galva!

My last shot at advertising those beers. Hope some of you can make it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 micf

Hello everybody!! I'm a first year archaeology type in ucd!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Welcome to the forum !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

Hows it going everyone, just found this forum site. I got my BA arch and history from UCD, graduated 2005, been in and out of archaeology ever since, probably worked just over 2 years in total on contracts. Recession has got in the way of blossoming career and now back to college again trying something else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

UCD Archaeology 2005 eh? Were you involved in the society at all? There's probably a few people you know already on here, if only you could see their faces! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

I was a member of the society but never really got all that involved, which is a shame cause they did do great stuff, if I had my time again! arts is the good life when you think about it:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

i didn't realise there was an intro page.
    anyway have worked on commercial sites for most of the noughties, got out in 07. i was always amazed the way graduates are so eager on their first site but after one winter they're asking about jibs in the NMI etc.

anyway got into digging by accident but as a non academic i really got a lot out it. the politics was bull**** but that's the same everywhere.

however i was painfully aware of the coming downturn in employment in the sector and i hope that things pick up asap for everyone. there was an aweful lot of stuff dug up over the last decade that is finally been sorted now that demand is offsite.

as far as pay is concerned, A. ireland was too expensive to begin with and B it's a lovely job (pity about the weather), lots of people i know would love to have given it a go just for the experience.

if it's money you're after, that game is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Took Archaeology for three years in my B.A course, never got to go on a dig and our most exciting fieltrip was to newgrange and then we got to observe a dig in process for ooh about 20 minutes. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Przemyslaw

boneless wrote: »
    I know that Grimes is a a student of archaeology, as am I.

All you other contributors; what do you do and how deep is your interest in the subject?

(Hey Grimes, fancy stickying this?)

I'm from Institute of Prehistory, Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań. Specializations: Theories in Archaeology / Bronze Age in Europe. I defended Masters thesis on Bronze Age rock carvings from Southern Sweden/Norway and gender archaeology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Lady Luck

My name is Lady Luck and I am new, but I hope to get to know you all very soon. ILY. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 blingBabe

Hey all, hello to you all. Was told about this place by a friend of mine :).

Hope to get to know you all well!

• Advertisement

blingBabe wrote: »
    Hey all, hello to you all. Was told about this place by a friend of mine :).

Hope to get to know you all well!

Bren????:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 blingBabe

micf wrote: »
    Bren????:D

Yes Babe :)!! How's the digging going? Lost your number. Send it to me again.

blingBabe wrote: »
    Yes Babe :)!! How's the digging going? Lost your number. Send it to me again.

sent you a text, wheres the reply????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Hey im new here also and im...wait for it first year Arch in UCD, bit of a trek to go yet but ive wanted to do it long enough so it'll all be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Hey im new here also and im...wait for it first year Arch in UCD, bit of a trek to go yet but ive wanted to do it long enough so it'll all be worth it.

im in 2nd year archaeology atm! its gr8 craic like!
    r u doing Exploring Archaeology with aidan o'sullivan?

Nebit wrote: »
    im in 2nd year archaeology atm! its gr8 craic like!
    r u doing Exploring Archaeology with aidan o'sullivan?

Indeed i am, only had one class so far but it looks great and he seems like a great lecturer too although ive thought that about everyone so far tbh...

Indeed i am, only had one class so far but it looks great and he seems like a great lecturer too although ive thought that about everyone so far tbh...

yeah his brilliant, him and graeme warren are my favourite
    wait till u hear him talk about cheesecake to demonstrate statigraphy :D its hilarious.

yeah his brilliant, him and graeme warren are my favourite
    wait till u hear him talk about cheesecake to demonstrate statigraphy :D its hilarious.

Ill definitely be on the look out for that but funny you should mention it because a different lecturer of mine used pavlova as a metaphor for the computer system which was...unique.

Ill definitely be on the look out for that but funny you should mention it because a different lecturer of mine used pavlova as a metaphor for the computer system which was...unique.

come to think of it alot of lecturers who do sciences use some kinda food to describe things lol:D like our geography lecturer who went on bout how nice his lunch was and how spanish people do the best sausage meat lol

it was about aids in spain

• Advertisement

come to think of it alot of lecturers who do sciences use some kinda food to describe things lol:D like our geography lecturer who went on bout how nice his lunch was and how spanish people do the best sausage meat lol

it was about aids in spain

That...is an unfortunate and might i add downright unusual metaphor.

Advertisement