Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's who here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happydaz

haha, just found this part of the site-amazed that i must know at least three or four of you, altho enda is the only one who is instantly recognisable. anyway i hope everyones exams went well! :D i want to go to edinburgh again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I got accepted to the MA in Archaeology of Art and Architecture in UCD, cant wait (didnt get in to Cork last 2 years). It's a dream come true for me. Love architecture in all shapes and forms . Renovating our house at the mo (built in 1798). Involved in the local hist and arch society at home, and that involveent has deepened my interest (off to do surveying of locality each weekend during sumer!) Hope to see ye in UCD next Sept. Please be nice to a poor Cork Girleen.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I got accepted to the MA in Archaeology of Art and Architecture in UCD, cant wait (didnt get in to Cork last 2 years). It's a dream come true for me. Love architecture in all shapes and forms . Renovating our house at the mo (built in 1798). Involved in the local hist and arch society at home, and that involveent has deepened my interest (off to do surveying of locality each weekend during sumer!) Hope to see ye in UCD next Sept. Please be nice to a poor Cork Girleen.:)

I'm hoping to get the MA at UCD too!! The waiting for finals results is driving me crazy... I hope to see you there!!

I want to do the new Contemporary and Historical course. There is a lot of crossover between that and A&A. There is a good Arch. Soc. at UCD too; lots of social events and trips are being planned (I hope!!) by the new committee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

That soulds class but wont have loads of time (sob!) as working p/t as well. Hope u get in! Let the good time roll :)

That soulds class but wont have loads of time (sob!) as working p/t as well. Hope u get in! Let the good time roll :)

They'll never learn!! They accepted me for the MA course!!

The poor fools.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Trench_wench

I'm doing the UCD field school in Tulsk, Roscommon this summer and I can't wait.I write article of local arch interest at home to keep the people in the locality interested. Medieval Pottery and vernacular architecture are my main interests.

Hi, I just finished working with the Discovery Programme in Tulsk, Co. Roscommon....is that the field school you speak of???

Otherwise I'm a reserach post-grad at UCG with contract sector experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ninjawombat

2nd year UCD archaeology... so I'm in class with a couple of you. And I use the term "in class" very loosely... some attend more than others. :p

I went on a dig last summer in Mayo and I packed these teeny little shorts. LOL!! Needless to say, they didn't see daylight and I'll be leaving them out this year. Dammit, why can't archaeology be just like Lara Croft said it would?! :D

2nd year UCD archaeology... so I'm in class with a couple of you. And I use the term "in class" very loosely... some attend more than others. :p

I went on a dig last summer in Mayo and I packed these teeny little shorts. LOL!! Needless to say, they didn't see daylight and I'll be leaving them out this year. Dammit, why can't archaeology be just like Lara Croft said it would?! :D

Have ya seen me in shorts and a sports bra?:D Children cry and horses run away in fear!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Hi, I just finished working with the Discovery Programme in Tulsk, Co. Roscommon....is that the field school you speak of???

Otherwise I'm a reserach post-grad at UCG with contract sector experience.

would love to get on that dig but I hear its 900 euro for four weeks experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

exactiv wrote:
    all of your interest in archaeoology will fade when you're standing in a muddy field in February in the freezing cold with rain that falls sideways into your face.

It won't matter how much fun you thought it was going to be, saving our culture, you'll end up like the rest of the Archaeologists in the country. Cold, wet, muddy, arthritic and underpaid.

Oh God I definately agree with the above. I seem to spend most of my days bailing the water off site than digging it. At least the sun seems to be making a appearance this week. Graduated from UCC in 2001 and have being digging ever since. It's not what I thought it would be in college. Better in some ways and much worse in others!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

New to boards.ie, I have completed one module in the part-time cert in archaeology in UCD. Not living in Dublin anyone so havent had been able to do anymore parts of it.
    I have an interest in megaliths, I like photographing and talking about them.
    I post some of my pics at http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/user/6120.
    Ever since learning about Newgrange in school Id love to discover a new astronomical alignment at a monument. Would love to find some new rock-art I think there has to be loads of it out their to be rediscovered.

bawn79 wrote: »
    New to boards.ie, I have completed one module in the part-time cert in archaeology in UCD. Not living in Dublin anyone so havent had been able to do anymore parts of it.
    I have an interest in megaliths, I like photographing and talking about them.
    I post some of my pics at http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/user/6120.
    Ever since learning about Newgrange in school Id love to discover a new astronomical alignment at a monument. Would love to find some new rock-art I think there has to be loads of it out their to be rediscovered.

Check out the research work conducted by Dr. Blaize O'Connor on the rock art in Co. Monaghan. I think that Archaeology Ireland had an article on it a year or so ago. There is a fair amount of rock art in Wicklow and very little is marked on the OS map 56. There are some on the SMR's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Thanks for that, I saw the article on Archaeology Ireland alright. www.archaeology.ie is another good site for looking up rock-art.
    Personally Id love to find some new rock-art in an area where it hasnt been found before! Im being a bit over optimistic maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ballinagee boy

Hi All... heard about this place!! I'm studying archaeology in UCC at the moment and loving it!! I'm from Wicklow and live near a 10th century church, not too far from Wicklow Gap.

Hi All... heard about this place!! I'm studying archaeology in UCC at the moment and loving it!! I'm from Wicklow and live near a 10th century church, not too far from Wicklow Gap.

templeteenaun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ballinagee boy

Grimes wrote: »
    templeteenaun?

You know it? Lovely spot.

You know it? Lovely spot.

Me and old Grimes dug the place!! UCD field school... ;)

Welcome aboard boy!! (Saw your posts in Nature and Birdwatching... me and you will get on famous)

Dug there with UCD for two weeks at then end of the season this year. Lovely spot but a pain in the arse lugging an EDM and 10 drawing boards up and down that path every morning

B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Interested amateur, no qualifications. Spent many childhood holidays on the Aran Islands, Grew up near loughcrew, always found them fascinating. best moment was when snorkeling in Lough Ennell co. Westmeath at Crannog site. Posts are still clearly visible..

find anything nice ? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Grimes, your sig is too big .... here's a present!

Archaeology.gif

6th wrote: »
    Grimes, your sig is too big .... here's a present!

Archaeology.gif

:D.... can I have one too??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Well I suppose both new mods should have one .... give me a minute!

*Edit: There ya go!

archaeology002.gif

x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Nutlog!!!

Hey Grimey! Remember me!!! No? Whatdya mean no! Thats the last time I talk to you aboud zombie babies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

Professional archaeologist since 1992. Worked in NW England and all over Ireland. Eligible to hold an excavation licence in both ROI and NI. Over 70 licences held to date. Excavated over 25 Fulachta fiadh - not as boring as you'd think!

Recently unemployed for only the 2nd time in 5 years. :confused: Setting up a partnership with the missus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭shipwreck

I have a lovely jumbly job in NMI and dont have to worry about being laid off for the foreseeable future, at least!!!

Contract work sucks though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I heard that Archaeology was boring and quite tough in UCD. I study Greek and Roman Civilisation and History and regret not taking up Archaeology. In Greek and Roman I take any class I can on Archaeology, I enjoy reading up on the excavations in Pompeii/Herculaneum and the Greek Heroic Age, Mycenae/Tiryns/Pylos/Troy and the Greek dark ages. Its not that big a regret though as I get to feed my inner Archaeologist.

PF

Try Alan Peatfields Minoan / Religion courses. Bronze Age societies of the Med. Not my cupan tae but you might be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

I'm a working archaeologist, been at it the last two years, you have to love it to stick with it!! Did my BA and MA in UCD

Advertisement