Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with sli-dr expert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That is quite high temp for chipset, have you been overclocking it much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

That is quite high temp for chipset, have you been overclocking it much?

no that temp is at stock speeds and voltages

i spoke to soon, pc froze after about 5mins, i rebooted and froze even when i entered into the bios, dont know what is causing this
    chipset temp was 47 when pc froze.... that is not that high :mad:

Well my chipset temps are normally half of cpu temp.
    It all sounds very messy indeed, If its taking this much time to try and get it to work properly it probably not worth it at all.

Well my chipset temps are normally half of cpu temp.
    It all sounds very messy indeed, If its taking this much time to try and get it to work properly it probably not worth it at all.

yeh i was looking at a8n mobo, but vdimm only up to 3volts, mushkin likes 3.3-3.5 :(

gline wrote:
    yeh i was looking at a8n mobo, but vdimm only up to 3volts, mushkin likes 3.3-3.5 :(

Maybe even just go for the DFI SLi-dr in that case?

• Advertisement

Maybe even just go for the DFI SLi-dr in that case?

hmmm from what i see it is just as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

I have to say that after my teething problems with my SLI-DR I wouldnt change it for any other board. My chipset temps are similar to yours, higher even under load so I dont think thats the problem.
    Does that psu have the 8pin connector for the motherboard? a 1kw psu is overkill but might be the problem? I find it hard to believe that 2 motherboards would be faulty, but its DFI so it wouldnt't surprise me overly either.
    What bios are you using exactly? You know there are different ones suited to TCCD ram and others to Winbond UTT......

Dman_15 wrote:
    I have to say that after my teething problems with my SLI-DR I wouldnt change it for any other board. My chipset temps are similar to yours, higher even under load so I dont think thats the problem.
    Does that psu have the 8pin connector for the motherboard? a 1kw psu is overkill but might be the problem? I find it hard to believe that 2 motherboards would be faulty, but its DFI so it wouldnt't surprise me overly either.
    What bios are you using exactly? You know there are different ones suited to TCCD ram and others to Winbond UTT......

using latest bios, i think it is 7th december, yeh psu has 8pin. Read a thread saying plextor drives can cause problems, maybe this is it, il try boot up later without drive plugged in

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Why not get the DFI ut sli-d, It has loads of settings and i think its a bit more forgiving than the expert.

And there is a device you can put in the a dimm slot on any mobo and it lets you give loads of voltage to the ram, i will post a link if i find one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Hey man reading bout complications on boot with the xfi Id take that out too.

• Advertisement

conzymaher wrote:
    Why not get the DFI ut sli-d, It has loads of settings and i think its a bit more forgiving than the expert.

And there is a device you can put in the a dimm slot on any mobo and it lets you give loads of voltage to the ram, i will post a link if i find one
    Ocz ddr booster.

conzymaher wrote:

u are thinking of an ocz ddr ram booster. Also i was thinking of trying a different dfi mobo. But some guy replied to a thread and said plextor emailed him and confirmed that there is a compatibility with their drives and nf4 chipsets :(

he said "I contacted Plextor a few weeks back and they confirmed that there's indeed a compatibility issue with the nF4 chipset and their DVD drives."

il try unplugging the drive soon

Try and run the system with with 1 stick of ram, CPU, VGA card, and a old CD drive and see will knoppix run If not go for the ASUS A8N SLI PREMIUM

Because that board is causing more hassle than it is worth, and if it wont run stable with just a cd drive attached RMA it

P.s My DFI board has also died so i am going to go 754 with a 90nm venice cpu and oc the hell out of it:D :D

well i still have same problems, i am tempted to split rig and sell it, it isnt worth the hassle

conzymaher wrote:
    Try and run the system with with 1 stick of ram, CPU, VGA card, and a old CD drive and see will knoppix run If not go for the ASUS A8N SLI PREMIUM

Because that board is causing more hassle than it is worth, and if it wont run stable with just a cd drive attached RMA it

P.s My DFI board has also died so i am going to go 754 with a 90nm venice cpu and oc the hell out of it:D :D
    Tis what I did. You wont regret it man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

gline wrote:
    chipset temp was 47 when pc froze.... that is not that high :mad:

No, that is not high at all. I'm no expert on the DFI expert ;)

But generally NB chipsets on modern mobos can go up to 100C or a bit higher without issues

Tis what I did. You wont regret it man!!

Wow, Someone else with the same plan as me:D Do they clock well i was hoping for 2.6ghz and with my ballistix and 6800gt it should be great

The only problem is the only good ocing 754 board that i know of is the DFI nf3 250gb ut :) but its alot more stable than the nforce 2 and its the newer revision and all the teething problems are over........I hope........

looks like i MIGHT have found the problem, looks like it could have been a short or something that was attached to the psu... i unplugged fan controllers and light controllers etc and it has been priming away for about 3 hours without shutting down so far (only at stock speeds, i will have to start ocing again soon :D

conzymaher wrote:
    Wow, Someone else with the same plan as me:D Do they clock well i was hoping for 2.6ghz and with my ballistix and 6800gt it should be great

The only problem is the only good ocing 754 board that i know of is the DFI nf3 250gb ut :) but its alot more stable than the nforce 2 and its the newer revision and all the teething problems are over........I hope........
    Get a watercooling kit and you should see past 2.9 and into th 3's on the new semprons.
    I having probs with mine at the monent either my board or chip is dead so just waiting to fix that and Ill come back with OC results on air and water.

woops, It turns out 6800 cards are incompatible with the nf3 chipset so i am going 939,

Just type 6800 and nf3 into google and you will be overwhelmed with horror stories:eek: :eek:

I am getting

Athlon 64 3700 or 3500 (because the optys are two expensive now)
    DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D or Asus A8N SLI DELUXE
    Tagan easycon tg530watt
    Leadtek 7800gt
    Crucial Ballistix 2*512mb (2-2-2-6)
    My current Hdd and maybe a raptor

• Advertisement

Heh wish I could have afforded that setup!!

Its only costing me around €700 and I have been working every saturday for the last few weeks just to be able to get it:D :D

How The Hell!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

?? How do i work saturdays or how does it cost €700:D :D

Its actually €673 and €792 including VAT, and i allready have the Ram, Hdd,optical drives and case, this is what im getting:

DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
    £99.95 £99.95
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3500BPBOX)
    £124.95 £124.95
    Leadtek GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
    £179.95 £179.95
    Tagan TG530-U15 530W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU (CA-008-TG)
    £59.95 £59.95

I cant wait, i will finally be able to play HL2 and call of Duty 2, Battlefield 2.................:D

krazy_8s wrote:

yeh i saw that, but i read threads on dfi-street on it and ur man that does the tmods cd tested it... its EXACTLY the same as the last beta which i have loaded

oh and btw im still having same issues, it will run for awhile and then shutdown... also now i am getting beep error codes... the dram one when i try restart.. its neverending:mad:

gline did you try with just the basic components installed ram, vga, cpu, and a cr drive but not the plextor??? connect nothing to the psu only the mobo and the cd drive and try run memtest from a cd or a floppy if you have one

conzymaher wrote:
    gline did you try with just the basic components installed ram, vga, cpu, and a cr drive but not the plextor??? connect nothing to the psu only the mobo and the cd drive and try run memtest from a cd or a floppy if you have one

im trying 1 thing at a time..its not the plextor, still crashed wen that wasnt plugged in

Ok i hope you get it sorted, Why not get a Lanparty Ut, what is so good about the "expert" board cause it doesnt sound to great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Have you tried any other ram?

Advertisement