Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Movie Scores

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You in Townsville?! Wow, was there last year - loved Magnetic Island! Aren't you up late?!
    Ha... no... I didn't realise it was an actual place. I'm in the Townsville that is a fictional city in the Powerpuff Girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dazmoriarty

Yep, it's in N.E. Australia:

www.townsvilleonline.com.au

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Dancer in the Dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Auvers wrote:
    How about Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns, Musical scores from Ennio Morricone, movies like The Good The Bad and the Ugly, Fistful of Dollars, A Few Dollars More.

Aye, Ennio has composed some belters in his time. I saw a documentary on the making of Once upon a time in America, Sergio Leone would play Ennios music for that scene as the scene was filmed to convey the effect he wanted.
    He did a very memorable tune for The Mission and a sweeping, bombastic score for the Untouchables.

Well worth tracking down a CD of his greatest hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

DaBreno wrote:
    Well worth tracking down a CD of his greatest hits.

And there's at least 20 of them floating around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

loz wrote:
    last of the mohicans

I agree, a truly great movie score.

One of the best scores in recant years has to be Michael Nyman's and Damon Albarn's score for Ravenous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jerry Goldsmiths for Star Trek the Motion Picture (1979) Tangerine Dream for Thief, Barry Devorson for The Warriors, Lalo Schifrin for Dirty Harry, David Shire for Taking of Pelham 123, Vangelis for Blade Runner.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

Rocky 1 and 3, the warriors

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Auvers wrote:
    How about Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns, Musical scores from Ennio Morricone, movies like The Good The Bad and the Ugly, Fistful of Dollars, A Few Dollars More.

Once Upon a Time in America is his best imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

musician wrote:
    Once Upon a Time in America is his best imho.

Joint first place with The Mission. I urge you to get his live DVD filmed in Italy, a great piece of Christmas Day viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Michael Nyman's score for Gattaca is just beautiful.

While technically not a 'movie' score (but it really is), Harry Gregson-Williams' score for some of the Metal Gear Solid games are brilliant.

Loved the Man on Fire score, again by Harry Gregson-Williams.

And most recently Antonio Pinto's score for Lord of War has stood out for me, particularly the theme thats playing when Yuri is bringing his brother home at the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SofaKing wrote:
    While technically not a 'movie' score (but it really is), Harry Gregson-Williams' score for some of the Metal Gear Solid games are brilliant.

He only did a handleful of tracks. The vast majority are by the Konami in-house composers.

One that hasn't been mentioned that I liked was Fight Club.

The Akira soundtrack as well was something else. Not really listenable to but really suited the film.

Anything Joe Hisaishi has done for Studio Ghibli has been excellent especially the Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away score.

Not a film but wait until you hear Koi Otani's score for Shadow of the Colossus. It really is superb and is as good as if not better than any orchestral score for a film.

I also admire the amount of effort that went into making the stunning soundtracks for Panzer Dragoon Saga and Orta. The composers Saori Kobayashi and Mariko Nanba had to make instrument sounds that sounded alien, like no instrument known, and yet still familiar. The fact that the soundtracks are two of the best ever written is a testament to the talent of these two composers especially Saori Kobayashi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Iceman_5000

Thomas Newmans' Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile scores are quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Brief Encounter - Rachmaninov's second piano concerto I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

in my opinion a score that you will not find too commonly is "The big white", it stars robin williams and the music is mainly by the eels, fantastic soundtrack...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Thomas Newmans' Shawshank Redemption
    This score is simply beautiful.
    Having bought it a while ago, I've realised how many other films and TV documentaries use a lot of the key score pieces.
    I guess it's even more brilliant given it's my favourite ever film, and even listening to it evokes all the moments.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I actually really liked James Newton Howards King Kong soundtrack. It seemed to fit the movi very well indeed. It might be worth a listen

I write some film music in my spare time....and spend most my time listening to it. for me there are a couple of genius' that stand out

Ennio is the first - i saw him in the royal albert hall a couple of years back, one of the best experiences of my life. As already said his western trilogy, once upon a time's, Mission, and the one with James Coburn can remember the name, cinema paradiso, the professional, moses. Also Ipecac records are releasing a double cd of his best more rare work soon that would be a great pick up. One of my fav's is a cd called 'Psycho Morricone' which has a collection of some of his disturbing stuff which is a must have.

The theres jerry goldsmith who died sadly last year - The Omen is just brilliant, Under Fire, The man from uncle, Gremlins

My fav soundtrack is Conan, the music describes the created world of the time to perfection really improving the film. I never get bored of this it just transports me to images of Conan killing all in battle!

Lalo Shifrin as mentioned is class with Dirty harry, black widow and a few others

Honourable mentions to Phillip Glass, Angelo Badalamenti, Bernard Hermann, john barry (bond) The Insider soundtrack. the four above all have a style of their very own same as the guys ive already mentioned which for me separates them from the names like zimmer, Elfman, Horner, Howard who are all top notch but not original enough for my liking!

Advertisement