Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Movie Scores

Options
  • 16-12-2005 12:06am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know its been done a few times before but I would like to start a new thread anyway.

Basically I have really gotten into movie scores lately. I love them. My favourite is the Gladiator score by Hans Zimmer. I also have all three LOTR scores, Pirates of the Carribean, Batman Begins and Braveheart. I tend to prefer scores from epic and adventure movies for some reason as I think the music in them has everything, the slow tracks and the fast upbeat tracks.

Anyway I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions as to scores I should try get my hands on?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

requiem for a dream and Pi are both pretty cool .. not exactly epic, but good music

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yeah, Clint Mansell's score for Requiem For A Dream was cool. If you haven't heard it, try to get hold of it. I also like the LOTR and Gladiator scores. Can't really think of anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nothing beats Star Wars.

But LoTR Is pretty good.

I love Basil Poledouris' Robocop and Starship Troopers themes also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Does John Williams do Star Wars? I tend to like his stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The James Horner score for Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan has always been a favourite of mine.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote:

Sure does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The James Horner score for Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan has always been a favourite of mine.
    ah yes! that's a good alright. still like hearing the old wrath of khan tunes in the more recent films aswell.. wouldn't have thought of it.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    yea, that and plenty of others (superman for example). all his stuff tends to sound pretty much the same, but good and powerful none-the-less.

not sure what I'd pick as my own favorite. needs more thought.

John Williams used to be great... but I think I got a bit sick of him after a while... in same way I'm pretty sick of Danny Elfman at this stage.

Oh.. don't forget Williams also did Indiana Jones and Jaws.

Another great composer to mention is Bernard Herrmann who did a lot of Hitchcocks stuff. Vertigo in particular is amazing... and lets not forget Psycho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

It's not a Movie Score, but it's a movie style score; the Ultimate Spider-man video game. Apart from the annoying Techno-rock, it was some amazing "quirky orchestral" stuff and had some amazing incidental music. The Green Goblin chase scene was probably my favourite.

Batman Begins was pretty food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Not quite a score but rather a musical score would be magnolia based around aimee mann's tracks. amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Richelieu

Jaws people!!
    dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dunanaaaa! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

LOTR, Braveheart and of course Platoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Dances with Wolves. Breathtaking, sweeping music.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

LOTR and more recently 'King Kong' are both excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

lotr, platoon, omen, serenity, 2001, and of course donny darko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Braveheart's got some great music in it. I loved the soundtrack for Unbreakable as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

madrab wrote:
    serenity
    Didn't think the music was good in it as it was in 'Firefly' but they did lose Greg Edmondson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

last of the mohicans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah firefly had the better score but i still loved serenitys soundtrack

last of the mohicans is a really good score

best score in a tv series has to go to babylon 5

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm a big fan of Danny Elfmans Batman (1989) score (Its used in the animated series too).

I also really like Braveheart, Gladiator, and American Beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

How about Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns, Musical scores from Ennio Morricone, movies like The Good The Bad and the Ugly, Fistful of Dollars, A Few Dollars More.

Oh... oh... another good one.

Basil Poledouris' score for the Conan films... wonderful stuff. His work on Robocop was good too.

His work on Robocop was good too.

It's so disappointing that the best of the lot, Robocop II, is missing his score. Whats even more insulting is that it's back for the diabolical Robocop III

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

The Rock, Thin Red Line - Hans Zimmer
    Unbreakable & 6th Sense - James Newton Howard
    Titanic - James Horner
    K-PAX - Edward Shearmur
    The Mission, Once upon a time in America, Untouchables, all the westerns - Ennio Morricone
    Superman, AI, Jaws, Empire of the Sun, SAving Private Ryan - John Willliams
    American Beauty, Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

and more I can't think of now. Do a search and you'll find a thread where I probably suggested more.

It's so disappointing that the best of the lot, Robocop II, is missing his score. Whats even more insulting is that it's back for the diabolical Robocop III
    Leonard Rosenman did Robocop 2 didn't he? I think him and Basil must be mates or something as their stuff is very similiar.

Rosenman did a good job with the Lord of the Rings (Animated) soundtrack.

Shirley Walker and Danny Elfman seem to have a similiar relationship. Although I think I prefer Shirley Walker these days... some of the places she took Elfman's Batman score in the cartoon series are amazing.

Leonard Rosenman did Robocop 2 didn't he? I think him and Basil must be mates or something as their stuff is very similiar.

I'm not really sure to be honest, not too familar with Rosenman. I'm listening to the Robocop Theme by Basil this very moment, I find that even more so then John Williams, his stuff can sound so similar to his other work whilst still being....different. :D

It's remarkable how almost identical sections of the Robocop Theme are like the Starhip Troopers theme though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dazmoriarty

CLASSIC MOVIE SCORES: Dark City, Aliens, The Village, 25th Hour, Amèlie, Blade Runner, Leon ('The Professional' to Americans who can't pronounce Leon), Michael Collins, One Hour Photo, Anything by Howard Shore (LOTR 1-2-3, The Cell, Panic Room, Ed Wood, The Game), Anything by John Williams Star Wars 1-6, Superman), Anything by Elliott Goldenthal (Alien3, Final Fantasy, Interview With A Vampire) anything by James Newton Howard (all M.Night Shayamlan's movies, Batman Begins)

CLASSIC TV SCORES: Battlestar Galactica (new show that is), Children Of Dune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Casablanca that's a great score

CLASSIC TV SCORES: Battlestar Galactica (new show that is)
    The old one was great too!

But I do enjoy the new one with the singing cylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 dazmoriarty

The sexy female Cylons singing in Sumerian (or whatever)?!

You in Townsville?! Wow, was there last year - loved Magnetic Island! Aren't you up late?!

Advertisement