Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zombies!!

Options
  • 02-12-2005 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

ok. i had a bit of a mad dream last nite about zombies taking ireland(the dream was realistic enough because i only seemed to have a fountain pen at my disposal) but im in the humour of buying some good zombie films :) anyone know where i cud get the original Night of the living dead and the original dawn of the dead(and if there is one the original land of the dead)
    i have only seen the recent films and the old ones so i need to see many more, any suggestions of some decent ones i may purchase in tha city centre (or somewhere in dublin)

emmmmm brains.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

there should be a dvd trilogy pack of all 3 original Romero zombie films easily available.

which is

night of the living dead
    dawn of the dead
    day of the dead
    (i think)

i shook hands with the man who made the documentary of dawn of the dead (and also recent land of the dead) Roy Fumkes i think his name was. Cool guy, its like indirectly shaking hands with George Romero...hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

As BlitzKrieg says, the Trilogy Of The Dead is definetly one to get.

Other must haves:

Braindead
    Shaun Of The Dead
    Return Of The Living Dead

I could go really anal and mention all the classic Lucio Fulci movies, but I think that little lot there is enough to look into for now. ;)

gawan be anal...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There's an Italian film called 'Demons' that is worth checking out.

Okay.. it's called demons, but it's really about zombies. It all takes place in a movie theatre over the course of an evening.

It's pretty good, and funny too.

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    gawan be anal...

I'm only anal for you, BlitzKrieg. :D

Ok, first of all, check out Lucio Fulci's Zombie Flesh Eaters, which is quite a nasty piece of work, if a bit slow moving, but it's an outright classic, and probably the best known of Fulci's films. Infact, the part where we see Uma Thurman's hand pop out of the grave in Kill Bill Vol. 2 is a direct nod to this film. Then see The Beyond, which is probably probably Fulci's best film, easily the scariest, not to mention the goriest, and has a fantastic score. The sheer atmosphere of the film is amazing. City Of The Living Dead is worth seeing, but it's not great. House By The Cemetery is another to check out, not the best, but not the worst either. That'd be my recommendations as far as Fulci goes anyway.

Another film worth checking out, is Nightmare City, which is infact the first film to feature running zombies. It's not great, but worth a look if you're a completist. Night Of The Creeps is classic 80's cheese, and I'd certainly say it inspired the upcoming film "Slither" more than a tad. Demons is another bit of cheese, but worth seeing for a laugh. Dellamorte Dellamore is an absolutely excellent film which is part zombie movie, part arthouse film, very strange, but brilliant. I, Zombie is quite a unique take on the zombie film, and outright one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen in my life. I also recommend Return Of The Living Dead 3, which is definetly very different from the comedy/horror of the previous ROTLD series, taking a much more serious approach. Quite a few people hate it, but I think it's excellent. Definetly some of the nastiest gore scenes I've seen.

Anyway, I think that's my lot for now. I could go even more indepth, but then I'd probably just be naming a load of mediocre films for the sake of it.

• Advertisement

ughh
    The intestine-vomiting scene was accomplished by having the actress swallow still-warm sheep entrails, then regurgitate them on camera. In extreme closeups of guts flying out of her mouth a fake head was used.

i feel quite ill...now i must see this film.

Seen Night of the Creeps, same guy did the monster squad, which i am prowling for along with the aweful mario brothers film. (i wanna see some cheese)

scary thing, it is easier to find street fighter movie then the mario movie.
    I'm only anal for you, BlitzKrieg.

shhh! Mobile infantry might hear!

Oh yeah, that scene! That was pretty god damn ****ed up. Fulci really do go to a lot of lenths for some of the gore in his movies, he's the master of it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Be warned... I'm told that the Trilogy of the Dead set has the horrible re-edited version of Night of the Living Dead with the new footage tacked on the end. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    The intestine-vomiting scene was accomplished by having the actress swallow still-warm sheep entrails, then regurgitate them on camera. In extreme closeups of guts flying out of her mouth a fake head was used.

which movie is that from?

zombie holocaust is good but has more canabalism than zomibe-ism

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

madrab wrote:
    BlitzKrieg wrote:

which movie is that from?

zombie holocaust is good but has more canabalism than zomibe-ism

yeh, Zombie holocaust only had like 3 zombies!!! (if im thinking of the right one).
    Get "the Zombie Dead" its really really bad, but its very entertaining.

Zombie Flesheaters is good and it also has that very famous Shark vs Zombie scene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Zombie Flesh Eaters 1, 2 and 3 are terrible movies but have some fantastic gore, most famously the eye gouge scene in the first movie on which a womans eye is, in graphic detail, skewered slowly onto a big splinter of wood.

Zombie Holocaust, again, is a terrible movie, but yet again, has some inventive gore. There are many of the same actors from Holocaust in Flesh Eaters.

That vomit scene sounds like The Beyond, I think? Or is it house by the cemetary? It's a Fulci movie in any case, and I know I have it on DVD.

City of the Living dead is a boring enough affair, but it has some good make up, and a lovely scene in which someone's face is drilled through with - guess it - a big drill :D

Speaking of which, N17 superstore in Galway have House by the Cemetary on DVD for 2 euro. They also have Nights of Terror, another Italian 80's zombie gore cheesefest, for 2 euro.

The trilogy of the Dead is great, especially Day of the Dead, as despite being 20 odd years old, it has aged superbly due to the great gore effects from Savini. Visually its more comparable to the recent movies then the original Dawn and obviously Night.

The remake of Night of the Living Dead directed by Savini himself with Tony Todd is also a great movie.

One you DEFINATELY have to see is Braindead, and also Bad Taste, both by Peter Jackson. Albolutely unforgetable cult classics.

Ireland's recent enough effort Dead Meat is also a bit of a laugh, doesn't take itself too seriously, and features some respectable Gore effects.

Boy Eats Girl, another Irish recent, is not great but again some of the Gore is worth checking out.

Land of the Dead, despite its criticism, I loved, but I suppose you've already seen that.

Versus, a foreign one, is also a very inventive low budget Zombie movie with some great scenes.

Return of the Living Dead Series, if you like comedy, the first 2 are good, but if you prefer serious gory zombie movies, Return of the Living Dead 3 is a gore fest from Brian Yuzna, great movie in my opinion even though fans of the first 2 didn't generally like it due to the totally different nature of the movie.

I dunno if they count as zombies as such but Argentos Demons and Demons 2 are great gore flicks, some really ott gross out scenes in those 2, definately worth a watch.

Another fantastic one is the recent film Bone Sickness. It's a low budget affair but it has some fantastic and disgusting gore, very similar to Fulcis work in the 70's/80's in terms of style and appearance. Loved this movie.

Don't forget Bio Zombie.

It's a Hong Kong zombie movie... you're usual zombies in a shopping mall tale... but it's all very funny.

The sequel isn't very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I personally thought that Dead Meat was fairly rubbish. Even as someone who loves Zombie movies, I struggled to get anything from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

From the last zombie thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3415609&postcount=15

Since then I've seen Stacy. I would say it's okay, don't recommend it to your average zombie-fan gets it though. It's just random crazy Japanese zombieness ("Blues Campbell's Right Hand" lol), if you like that, it's fun. For the average person though, it's totally stupid and pointless and they'll hate it.

That vomit scene sounds like The Beyond, I think? Or is it house by the cemetary? It's a Fulci movie in any case, and I know I have it on DVD.

No, that was City Of The Living Dead.
    Versus, a foreign one, is also a very inventive low budget Zombie movie with some great scenes.

Versus is amazing altogether, great to watch at a house part, so much fun! :v: .

yeah i was watching versus a few months ago & my dad walks into my room to tell me something, after about 30 mins he gets up & says thats kinda wierd & walk out ahh old people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pen0s

i didnt realise there was soo many, its gonna be a long hard road to get to see all the films but ill try :)
    where wud be a good place to look for these films?

so far seen:
    -night of the living dead, original and remake(The candyman ownd the remake and that final scene is one of my favourites in any film ive ever seen :))
    -dawn of the dead, original and remake(liked the original sooo much more. roger from kenan and kel made this film great Lol:p)
    -land of the dead.(i also liked this it was a cool one to watch.)
    -evil dead :/(as said not really zombie films but still good.)
    -return of the living dead(watched this yesterday like it but the zombies were too intelligent for my liking.)
    -Shaun of the Dead
    -28 days later(if evil dead gets in so does this :p)

currently watching braindead. not what i expected but im half way thru right now and im up at 6:30 tomorrow......gonna be a late night:) i think ill ask my gf to try and get fulci's films for me. anyone know where i cud order them online to make sure they are here in time for christmas?!?

Amazon have most of those movies, decent prices, and uncut versions. I got a fair few of them a year or two ago there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Dont forget Junk.

I love that film!:D

X

28 days later is great, really scary & brought the zombie movie genre up to where it should be

try lazer, last time i was in there they had a load of fulcis movies & others

• Advertisement

madrab wrote:
    28 days later is great, really scary & brought the zombie movie genre up to where it should be
    Bah... I don't know about that... Zombies shouldn't be able to run about the place... They're supposed to shamble about... that's what makes them zombies...

What are they going to do in the sequel to 28 Days Later? Do the Sunday Times crossword?

they are making a sequel?

i preferes the running zombies, thought it was good, worked well in dawn reamake too

Yep.. it's going to be called 28 Weeks Later I believe...

Be sure to check out the Prequel.. 28 Days... It features Sandra Bullock as a zombie... that girl is typecast...

Zombies can't run. It's what makes zombies zombies! Shuffling, decaying corspes.

Not athletes! I didn't like the fact that they could run in 28 days later and the Dawn Remake. I find it turns the tone of a scene from a terrifying tension filled one to a more generic ardeneline action scene. It takes away from the very premise of Zombies being the walking dead and our own belief that these are corpses from the grave.

Thats why Land of the Dead was so great.... :D

edit: Not for the facts Garred outlined below. Just for the fact they were slow again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Bah... I don't know about that... Zombies shouldn't be able to run about the place... They're supposed to shamble about... that's what makes them zombies...QUOTE]
    Agree, think what they did in land of the dead was a bit of a joke. The zombies were communicating, shooting guns, swimming, working a drill, etc:eek: . WTF, they were practically employable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

garred wrote:
    Agree, think what they did in land of the dead was a bit of a joke. The zombies were communicating, shooting guns, swimming, working a drill, etc:eek: . WTF, they were practically employable.

It's an evolution of what what happening in Day of the Dead (and it's a follow-on from that, part of the same series of films). Not like 28 Days Later at all. 28 Days Later was about people that were infected with something, not about zombies.

Yeah but they did'nt give any indication that the zombies were heading that way in day of the dead. In 28 days later the infection turned them into zombies. Personally I don't mind them running but what they did in land of the dead I was'nt mad about. In fact it spoilt it for me. I know it was supposed to be cheesy but ahh, did'nt do it for me. Although there was great gore. Is there a third one of these scheduled? God knows what the zombies will be doing in that.

Sh1te, posted twice!

garred wrote:
    Personally I don't mind them running but what they did in land of the dead I was'nt mad about. In fact it spoilt it for me. I know it was supposed to be cheesy but ahh, did'nt do it for me. Although there was great gore. Is there a third one of these scheduled?
    I think Land of the Dead was the 4th one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pen0s

i wasnt mad about return of the living dead for the same reason, when they started asking the zombies questions an **** it was a bit mad lol.
    found the film gas in places tho!

theres a day of the dead 2 or something aswell isnt there? i saw it on amazon :/

i liked 28 days later :/

whats junk about?

Advertisement