Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any help on this new puter spec?

Options
  • 22-11-2005 5:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Antec NEO480GB 480-Watt PSU

Antec P160 Miditower, Silver,Side window, (Without PSU)

Gainward GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3,PCI-Express,"U/3400PCX XP ViVo Golden S"

Asus A8N-SLI Premium, nForce4 SLI,Socket-939, Super Cooling pipe, PCI-Ex16
    Crucial PC3200 BallistiX DDR 1024MB CL2Kit w/two matched,2.8V,64Meg x 64,184pin

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz Socket 939,512KB, BOXED w/fan

Am about to order this spec, want it to be as open and future proof as possible, am maxed out budget wise. All suggestions welcome.... :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

a hard drive and a dvd rewriter might come in handy too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

will that cpu bottleneck the gfx card?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

no I don't think it'll bottleneck it, but if a few more quid could be squeezed togehter to maybe get a 3500+??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

If you're interested, I've got a brand new unopened Antec NEO480GB 480-Watt PSU I'll sell to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Go opteron 144 instead of that CPU. A quicker & cheaper CPU :)

Put the savings towards a DFI board. I assume you're going to be overclocking? The 144s clock very high. They have FX cores :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

commited wrote:
    They have FX cores :)
    I know I've been out of the scene for about a month or two, but that strikes me as false. Any linkage to prove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Its true dude their all underclocked FX55and57's!!

But they're locked right? Making them just very high quality cores?

The single feature that makes an FX chip an FX chip is the fact that it's multi-unlocked both up and down, as opposed to the normal down only for AMD chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The first gen 939 optys came from the same die as the fx57s. So they clocked as high, but with a locked multi. Now it seems that they clock high but not in the same league anymore as they were. But with a better testing proceedure and with 1mb L2 cache its still a better buy.

Well Ive seen new ones clock to 3.0on low quality water so their still colocking high!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I do agree that they are a better buy! ;) Wish I had a system that I could put one in though :(

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17481663 this thread is a pretty good indication of their clocking potential.

I really want an opteron, but I have a 1mb cache mobile A 64 3400+, so I cant really justify a whole new rig for a marginal increase!

Ya not have a new system in the works somewhere ;p

commited wrote:
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17481663 this thread is a pretty good indication of their clocking potential.

I really want an opteron, but I have a 1mb cache mobile A 64 3400+, so I cant really justify a whole new rig for a marginal increase!
    What kinda speeds ya hitting with that?
    System specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

usually its only certain weeks ofmanufacturing that are good overclockers then they are back to the same old chips no?
    so buying an opty is still a bit of a gamble, what are they like at stock speeds?

Em thats the thing.. A "VERY BAD" opty will bomb out at 2.8/2.9Ghz i.e FX speeds!!

Em thats the thing.. A "VERY BAD" opty will bomb out at 2.8/2.9Ghz i.e FX speeds!!

but this may not last for long (these good cores i mean)

True true hence Id try get one by christmas.. Everythin in the wild is the one steping ATM so your pretty much guarneteed a good one. Im gonna get one the mn I have the cash even though system wint be finished till next year..

True true hence Id try get one by christmas.. Everythin in the wild is the one steping ATM so your pretty much guarneteed a good one. Im gonna get one the mn I have the cash even though system wint be finished till next year..

yeh i mite just get 1 as a spare in a few weeks

• Advertisement

At the price they are you cant say no..

At the price they are you cant say no..

overclockers are out, komplett have them though

I maight be able to get one for ya. PM ssent

What kinda speeds ya hitting with that?
    System specs?
    It's in my laptop, so its stock etc. Benchies to FX-51 level which isnt bad :)

Thinking of building a Skt 939 system now, as I just sold my old car :D The opterons look way too tempting to avoid!

Mine was running at 2.4, could get it stable at 2.8.

I think your forgetting that the mem controllers are way better than the venice as well. My mem controller on my old venice bombed out way before what my opty can do now.

What cooling? That seems like a "bad" one.

Yeah it is, was up to 1.75 volts and only 2.8.

Cooling(Storm,50z,120.2 therm and a maze 4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I don't think 2.8 is a "bad" one is it? From what I can see its exactly right inthe middle of average-ville. You can be sure theres loads of people getting less thatn 2.8 and not bothering to post it up on forums. I know I wouldnt be bothered to post up about it if I got a mediocre chip.

• Advertisement

1.75 volts is ALOT for the opterons too. Thats just madness!

Advertisement