Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

abortion talk in dcu

Options
  • 22-11-2005 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

following, the cancellation of the controversial pro life talk in ucd,I was just wondering what people's views are on the topic as the same talk will be taking place in dcu tommorow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

Abortions for all!

Very well, Abortions for none!

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for the others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Homerbeer wrote:
    following, the cancellation of the controversial pro life talk in ucd,I was just wondering what people's views are on the topic as the same talk will be taking place in dcu tommorow

I heard her on the radio today. She was excellent apart from her talking about God bull****.

Me, I think abortion is wrong. It's obviously wrong.

I understand why people do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Since when was a "Pro-Life" point of view "controversial".

As far as I am concerned if a foetus has a beating heart then without doubt it's alive and you shouldn't be allowed to kill it. Anyone know when the heart starts beating - I read 8 days somewhere once - don't know if it's true though.

[edit] Found here that the heart starts beating by 18 days. [/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

and most people don't know they're pregnant until the foetus is about 2/3 weeks old...

i'm pro choice though, there's certain situations when abortion is needed so i won't be attending the meeting tonight. and i'm not too impressed that they actually got the go ahead to have a prolife society on campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I'm pro choice but I believe it's constricting to tie yourself down to the ideas that either "abortion is wrong" or "abortion is right"

There are different circumstances surrounding anyone who decides for or against abortion and to make it outright illegal would just be stupid.

Someone who goes out, gets drunk, has unprotected sex with someone and gets pregnant is completely different to someone who goes out and ends up getting raped and becomes pregnant...

I tend not to get into these abortion debates because to be perfectly honest I don't know where I stand...

I do however know that Bill Hicks was a damn funny man: "If you're pro life, don't block abortion clinics... join hands and block cemetaries"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Is there any sort of resistance to the talk being organised in DCU?

I wasn't much happy when TWO of them came up one after the other in Henry Grattan today to offer me a lollipop to go to the talk...

Kinda trivialising the situation I thought...

I don't mind that kinda thing if it's something a little less serious or something that doesn't involve real life "life or death" situations like the abortion thing does, stuff like SU elections where they handed out lollipops to encourage you to vote...

I refused the lollipops if that counts as resistance...

i ignored them when they offered me a lolly and one of them was like "i dont know what her problem is" so i said that my problem was them trying to shove their views down my neck and that i wasn't interested in anything she had to say. she wasnt too impressed.

but i hate all their crap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Zem

How many members do they have as a society does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

They gave me a white wrist band thing (no lollypops :(). It's very efficient at cutting off the blood to my hand and depressingly inefficient at being fired across the room. :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm not pro-life but I don't see why those who are should be censored. It's good that they can have a talk and people can go and hear their views if they want to. Wouldn't be interested in going myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard_Fonzie

I'm anti-abortion, with the exception of circumstances where a mother has a high chance of dieing during a birth. Obviously there will be some situations where the risks associated with a pregnancy will be a thin line between life and death, but I think that in a case like this a board of experienced doctors (5-10) should sit on a board to determine the outcome.

Above all, I think that if someone has reached a stage of pregnancy where the foetus has become human (and the exact time of this is open to alot of debate) and can give birth to a healthy child, they should do so regardless of their financial or family situation.

Zem wrote:
    How many members do they have as a society does anyone know?
    on the wall in C&S they're listed as having 20 or something. seemed like more of them today though.

did anyone go to the talk? how did it go? any juicy questions?

steviec wrote:
    I'm not pro-life but I don't see why those who are should be censored. It's good that they can have a talk and people can go and hear their views if they want to. Wouldn't be interested in going myself though.
    i just wish they wouldn't shove their leaflets in your face and that the posters weren't so icky. nobody wants to hear about dead babies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eoin_ie

Surely that's the whole point - that it's pushed in everyone's faces? I was having my lunch in the restaurant today and some guy put 4 leaflets on the table in front of me. So I just put them on the table next to me - got a pretty nasty look. Also, that dude on the leaflet, the "I carried to dead bodies" guy is smiling a lot - surely they could have found a more sombre picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

steveland? wrote:
    I wasn't much happy when TWO of them came up one after the other in Henry Grattan today to offer me a lollipop to go to the talk...

Kinda trivialising the situation I thought...

Heh, something like this happened recently in work, they put up a sign in the canteen for some life insurance plan or other with the header
    "Start taking your future seriously"
    with the subheading of "sign up and get a free MP3 player!"

Not quite the same, i know, but you reminded me of it ;)

steviec wrote:
    I don't think they should be censored at all, far from it... I think they should have as equal a say as people who are pro-abortion, undecided or, like me, think there are circumstances where it's justified and circumstances where it isn't.

I take exception to the fact that pro-lifers shove their views down your throat and refuse to listen to reason.

Circumstances I see fit as being grounds for an abortion are time like when a girl is in danger of dying as a result of giving birth and rape, incest, paedophilia, child abuse, all of which result in the prospective mother being given absolutely no choice in the matter and possibly ruining their lives.

I find it plain wrong in America when they block abortion clinics with their posters of aborted foetesus (sp?) and abuse people who have, in most cases, thought long and hard and come to what could be a heart breaking conclusion that they can't have the baby...

I don't think abortions should be handed out arbitrarily to anyone who decides they just don't want a baby, there's always adoption and other options, but I wish "pro-lifers" would get it through their heads that, in some isolated circumstances, it's the only way.

Had I not been working last night I would have been interested in attending the talk but I knew I'd just get so damn pissed off I'd have to leave...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Well this talk was cancelled in our college (UCD) but I must admit I was curious. I think it was wrong to cancel it, although I can see where they were coming from. This crowd dont seem to have the most peaceful of reputations.

Anyway, I guess I'd be very much pro-choice. I dont think it comes down to Pro-life or Pro-abortion. Personally I dont think I could ever go through with an abortion given my situation at the moment. However I think that the choice should definitely be there.

Its also quite easy for people to say "oh but theres always adoption". I dont see how carrying the child to full-term, then havign to give birth to it before handing it over can be a better solution. But again it all depends on the circumstances.

Also, theres often the viewpoint that if we had abortion in this country that people would be off having unprotected sex because they know that should they fall pregnant, they just go and have an abortion. To me thats an incredibly ignorant view, and often one promoted by people who know sweet f. a. about the emotional aspect involved in having an abortion.

We need to recognise the huge numbers of Irish women travelling to the UK to have abortions. There is a need for it here. At the end of the day, its my body and I should have the right to choose.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Heh, how appropriate, the abortion talks in UCD were "aborted" :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,498 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Without a doubt, abortion should be legalised in Ireland in some form. Especially in cases of rape and incest, girls under the age of 18 (but not without parental consent) and women in full time education. Neither do I believe that it's necessarily wrong to abort babies who are shown to have major mental and/or physical disabilities. However, I have heard stories of middle-aged women in America essentially using abortion as a form of birth-control, which is just plain wrong.

Does anybody know the official reasons for the cancellation in UCD? If it was purely because it was considered controversial, it was a mistake on their part. They're showing that they're willing to cave to pressure and holding any kind of controversial event now would be completely hypocritical

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote:
    women in full time education.
    I'm sorry I don't agree with this at all... Just because someone's in school/college and doesn't have time for a baby doesn't mean the baby should die...

That's just my opinion but I've posted when I think it is justified already.

The official reason is that Ultrasound booked a hall under the false pretenses of being part of the Youth Defence society and they cancelled it because only official clubs and societies can book rooms free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Homerbeer

I went to the talk yesterday, I thought it was good.

Homerbeer wrote:
    I went to the talk yesterday, I thought it was good.
    was there a good turnout at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,498 ✭✭✭✭28064212

steveland? wrote:
    I'm sorry I don't agree with this at all... Just because someone's in school/college and doesn't have time for a baby doesn't mean the baby should die...
    Teen pregnancies are a major cause of dropouts at secondary level and contribute to the welfare culture that's prevalent in many areas. At third level, it's debatable, but I would imagine the dropout rates are fairly high as well.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Homerbeer wrote:

First of all the talk was cancelled in UCD because there were no students actually involved it was just the external company who were going into the college.
    I myself am very pro choice, everyone has the right to make up their own mind and to live with any consequences of their actions.
    From what I heard about last nights meeting it was very well organised and it was as it suggested very pro life, if a question was put to the panel about pro choice this was not entertained at all.
    I agree with what everyone else has been saying about information not been thrown in peoples faces though, because people may not have an opinion on the subject and the fact that they were doing this was wrong they should have let people approach them perhaps if they were interested in the subject matter, it may have been a better tactic to use.

anyway thats my two cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

28064212 wrote:
    Without a doubt, abortion should be legalised in Ireland in some form. Especially in cases of rape and incest, girls under the age of 18 (but not without parental consent) and women in full time education.

Life vs. convenience balance. Doesn't take a DCU degree to see that life wins hands down.
    28064212 wrote:
    Neither do I believe that it's necessarily wrong to abort babies who are shown to have major mental and/or physical disabilities.
    Who's to say that the child is not perfectly happy in its mother's womb disabled or not. Why not extend your logic then and kill all the disabled and old people as Hitler did? What's the difference? I'd love to see how you justify your position.
    28064212 wrote:
    However, I have heard stories of middle-aged women in America essentially using abortion as a form of birth-control, which is just plain wrong.
    Why do you think it is wrong? Some inkling inside you that tells you killing a child is wrong?
    28064212 wrote:
    Does anybody know the official reasons for the cancellation in UCD? If it was purely because it was considered controversial, it was a mistake on their part. They're showing that they're willing to cave to pressure and holding any kind of controversial event now would be completely hypocritical
    UCDSU and their liberal agenda. They'd be the very ones shouting and roaring about free speech when it comes to issues such as US foreign policy, gay marriage etc., etc., but when an issue that doesn't fit in to their way of thinking, they cry 'extremist', 'intolerance', blah, blah, blah.

Last night's debate was excellent. There were some pro-choicers present who asked the same old cliched questions regarding the rape, the X-case and the church/political system relationship. They were all well dealt with including one young blonde woman who accused Gianna of 'using her illness to promote her pro-life agenda' which attracted a tut or two.

If abortion's the answer, I don't know what the question is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

AndyWarhol wrote:
    UCDSU and their liberal agenda
    Previous posts suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

Crucifix wrote:
    Previous posts suggest otherwise.

Nice diversionary tactics there.

Specifically, what previous posts are you referring to?

Anyway, do you actually have anthing to say on the abortion talk in DCU?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement