Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Old movies"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

^CwAzY^ wrote:
    I watched that Rope last night, brilliant movie! .. Jimmy Stewart rocks :v:
    You know I always forget that Jimmy Stewart is in that movie until he walks in the door and steals the show in his own subtle way. Great underplayed performance. The movie world could do with a few more Jimmy Stewerts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Yeah make damn sure to check out the other two Leone/Eastwood films: "A fistful of dollars", and "For a few dollar more".
    Any of the old film adaptations of Hemingway books are usually very good - "To have and have not", "A farewell to arms", "For whom the bell tolls".
    Check out Akira Kurosawa's "Throne Of Blood".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Third Man sucks (except for the cuckoo speech of course).

get out of here! (or up the yard).

If you're into classics then check out TCM as suggested, most days they have something from the MGM/Warners golden era. You can catch Dirty Harry about every 3 weeks. :)

A few more choices

Charade (1963) Best comic thriller not made by Hitchcock.
    The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1963) B&W sci-fi disaster movie sees London getting hot under the collar.
    Repulsion (1966) Polanski masterpiece of weirdness.
    The Seven Samauri (1953) Epic!
    Paths of Glory (1957) Kubricks first "big" film
    Deliverance (1973) If you go down to the woods today...!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Watched another Jimmy Stewart movie last night.. "Rear Window".. Brilliant stuff! 9/10 :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

Try "Yojimbo" another Akira Kurosawa flick or the Marx Brothers Movies; Duck Soup, A day at the races, a night at the opera...

Heh heh technically you shouldn't be watching the Leone westerns cause theyre rated 18 :D (only messin')

Casablanca is well cool, how about the great escape (It's guarranteed to be on TV over Christmas anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Semper Fi

DaveMcG wrote:
    Hey folks,

I've been getting a few old (for me, I'm 17 ;)) films lately, just thought we could talk about them a bit..

Most recently, I've gotten, 'On the Waterfront', 'Dr.Strangelove', 'The Good the Bad and the Ugly', and 'Casablanca'.

I'm planning on getting 'butch cassidy and the sundance kid', 'sunset boulevard', 'a streetcar named desire', and 'dirty harry' next... Any thoughts on these movies? Mainly I've been going through the top rated movies lists on imdb.com, and picking out films that I recognise quotes from and the likes.

I've not seen most of them, so I figure I'm missing out :p 'Casablanca', hadn't seen that! Now it's one of my favourite movies. I'm only watching 'On the Waterfront' now.

It has been mentioned... but 12 Angry men is a good, neagh... great, all time quintessential classic.

Great flick.

Advertisement