Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Old movies"

Options
  • 19-11-2005 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I've been getting a few old (for me, I'm 17 ;)) films lately, just thought we could talk about them a bit..

Most recently, I've gotten, 'On the Waterfront', 'Dr.Strangelove', 'The Good the Bad and the Ugly', and 'Casablanca'.

I'm planning on getting 'butch cassidy and the sundance kid', 'sunset boulevard', 'a streetcar named desire', and 'dirty harry' next... Any thoughts on these movies? Mainly I've been going through the top rated movies lists on imdb.com, and picking out films that I recognise quotes from and the likes.

I've not seen most of them, so I figure I'm missing out :p 'Casablanca', hadn't seen that! Now it's one of my favourite movies. I'm only watching 'On the Waterfront' now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Go get some classic Hitchcock while you're at it, Rear Window, North by Northwest and so forth. Can't go wrong really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Have you watched Dr. Strangelove yet? Quite possibly the greatest movie of all time imho.

Other sort of obvious choices include anything Stanley Kubrick has ever made, Citizen Kane and The Third Man.

And also, you know that The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is the third in the trilogy? Be sure and get hold of A Fist Full of Dollars and a Few Dollars More at the same time.

Happy viewing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

On The Waterfront is a great film. I did it for my Leaving Cert. English comparative. I thought the classes were more of a treat than a normal class. I remember when we started watxhing it, we watched it normally the fiest time and the following times the teacher would pause every minute or so and rant about the body language and such. I thought this was really annoying at first, but now I analise almost every film I watch like that (I don't pause them tho of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

I love all the old movies, watched everything mentioned here so far, I'd recommend Dr Zhivago along with what's mentioned.. as for Hitchcock just watched some of his movies lately 'Vertigo' and 'Shadow of a Doubt' both excellent movies :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Rebel Without A Cause and 12 Angry Men.

The Third Man sucks (except for the cuckoo speech of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

The third man
    12 angry men
    Anything by stanley kubrick - especially paths of glory
    Anything by akira kurawsawa
    Badlands
    Maltese falcon
    china town..

there's thousands of great 'old' films, american and otherwise..
    half the fun is finding them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

is there a Hitchcock film called The Perfect Crime? or is there a film based on that. two men want to kill 2 seperate ppl, so in order not to get caught they agree that they will each kill the other mans victim (hard to follow, sorry)

[EDIT] I found the film, it's Strangers On A Train, dying to see it [/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

The Wild Bunch
    The Big Red One
    Das Boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

The Third Man sucks (except for the cuckoo speech of course).
    you fool:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

^CwAzY^ wrote:
    I love all the old movies

Yes me too. No bad movies made in the old days. Nope.

Check out the old Ealing comedies too - Kind Hearts and Coronets, Passport to Pimlico, The Man in the White Suit and the Ladykillers.

And of course..... that Wilder classic Some Like it Hot

Oooh oooh - Double Indemnity too.

White Heat also. 'Top of the world Ma!'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

What's the name of the film with the newscaster who tells people to shove their heads out their windows and shout, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!"? I've been meaning to see that for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

If I had to name a few to get started with other than what you've seen I'd probably say in no particular order:

Vertigo
    North By Northwest
    Psycho
    It Happened One Night
    It's a Wonderful Life(In about a month)
    The Big Sleep
    The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    Singin In the Rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Cool Hand Luke. Quality film, Paul Newman is brilliant in it (as is George Kennedy)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Required viewing, "old" movies :

Citizen Kane
    The Sting
    Cool Hand Luke
    The French Connection
    The Conversation
    Vertigo
    White Heat
    North By Northwest
    Rear Window
    Wages Of Fear

Ironic how most of these "old" movies look and feel a lot fresher than most of the crap in the cinemas thesedays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Couldn't agree more. It's a fantastic film, one of the all time greats. A special edition DVD would be really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

What's the name of the film with the newscaster who tells people to shove their heads out their windows and shout, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!"? I've been meaning to see that for a while now.

Network

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Paper Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Houston Griffin

I found the film, it's Strangers On A Train, dying to see it

I just saw that film recently and I'm not into old movies. I highly recommend it. Great plot and all that, but I really got a kick out of the style and slang of the time. Plus, I thought the villain was really cool; a perfect blend psychosis, sophistacation, brains, and foppery. On the same night I also watch another Hitchcock film, Shadow of a Doubt. It's about a family in a small California town that get a visit from a long lost uncle, who may or may not be a serial strangler. Another good one.

Another old movie I'd highly recommend is the 1950 version of Harvey. James Stewart plays an alcoholic with an invisble 6 foot tall rabbit friend and his family is trying have him committed into an asylum. I normally don't go for clean humour, but this was a really funny film.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Just watch the TCM movie channel. It's the only movie channel worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Excellent movie.
    The Sting as well if you haven't seen it, if only for the theme tune alone! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

if you have the chance for a few oldies, try and get "bringing up baby" - its well worth a watch - dont think i've laughed so hard in ages :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 oblian

im gonna suggest a hitchcock film called "rope" the amazing thing about this film is,though short,it was all done in one take.doesnt stop for a minute and is very thrilling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

oblian wrote:
    im gonna suggest a hitchcock film called "rope" the amazing thing about this film is,though short,it was all done in one take.doesnt stop for a minute and is very thrilling

I know it's made to 'look' that way but it's not the case as far as I can tell. I've seen it twice now and I'm 99% sure there's 'cheating' cuts in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Rope is on tonight, RTE1, 1:30am.

Good show alright. And yea, there were some sneaky cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Check out "The Night of the Hunter" with Robert Mitchum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Rope...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040746/trivia

#

# The film was shot in a series of four- to ten-minute continuous takes (the maximum amount of film that a camera could hold). At the end of every take the camera alternates between zooming into a dark object and making a conventional cut (to allow a projector switchover in the theater). Most of the props were on casters and the crew had to wheel them out of the way as the camera moved around the set.

Interesting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

I watched that Rope last night, brilliant movie! I was expecting more of a twist at the end, like David still being alive when Rupert opened the box or something.. Jimmy Stewart rocks :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is great as are the majority of Jimmy Stewart flicks. Great actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Lots of greats already mentioned here...

I'd like to give a special mention to The Taking of Pelham One Two Three

One of the many films Tarantino has ripped off... sorry... payed homage to!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I would like to mention

To Kill A Mockingbird

The Great Escape

and of Course King Kong

I think ill have to start trying to get my hands on some of these movies being mentioned

Advertisement