Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another C. Heating NEwbie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Man this is brilliant to read, though I do feel for ya eas.
    and remember, rightie tighty, left loosey :)

When you are not sure do everything in slow increments, you will hear it if you have suddenly unlocked water/pressure and incase you open the wrong valve you want to be able to close it pretty sharpish.
    GL!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

This is like a clifhanger episod on Batman! Com'on eas, have you got heat? Hope you didn't add "CRASH" " BANG" and PFIZZZZ" to your "YIKES" last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Eas must have taken the day off to let the plumber in !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

sorry for the cliffhanger - no internet at home..

OK - attempt #2 = SUCCESS > 150 MAN POINTS AWARDED TO EAS > WHOOP WHOOP.

I now have heat in all rads and a steady pressure of 1bar in the system.

Thanks everyone for you patience and advice.

In the end it was a combination of the top turn knob and the bottom screw thing on the pressure guage that let the water in the system...as advised by Jim and beldin. Thanks fellas

So alls cozy and warm chez eas . Good thing too, it was bloody freezing last night.

Just to tie up a loose end or two -

> my "yikes" was because I thought it was clockwise to open. So, another lesson learnt.

> *c* is a dead end pipe.

thanks again, until next time I have some DIY to do.

:)

eas

Eas must have taken the day off to let the plumber in !

ha very good - nope, just running a bit late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Lads

I just hope the next series of "Lost" is as entertaining as this thread was.

Well done eas

phew !!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

All you have to figure out now is why the pressure dropped??? Allegedly they shouldn't drop very quickly and if they do it indicates some sort of a problem...

The only problem with these pressure regulators is that they will keep allowing water into the system even if there is a leak at the other end...

Anyway the only way to find this out is to turn the water to the regulator off again and see if the pressure drops quickly or not.
    But that can be for another time. For now you should have enough brownie points to watch the match on Saturday in peace..

good point beldin...and I did consider how a closed system would loose so much water? I put everything back to how it was on the gauge, so if it looses pressure anytime soon I'll have to pay someone to come and have a look.

It took a few trips up/down stairs to get all the air out the system, it may explain the mysterious dripping sound I've been hearing above the kicthen.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Mightn't be a leak. In my system there is a pressure relief valve that goes into play if the system pressure goes over 3 bar. This was faulty and constantly leaking. Replaced it but still have a problem .

If you had a leak upstairs it would have stained the ceiling by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

That's great news Eas !

Hopefully you don't have a leak.
    I shouldn't even suggest this, but if there is a leak, it may now show up because of the higher pressure in the system. Like, if it is upstairs, that dripping sound over the kitchen might be a large damp patch by now :eek:
    Maybe you should go home early today.
    Sorry, I shouldn't even joke about it :(
    Jim.

• Advertisement

Lovely 3 bed detached for sale..................anyone? :)

thanks for your help Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

I would strongly suggest finding out why the pressure has dropped. There is a strong possibility that there is a leak. I am not a fan of these pressure reducing valves, they are too troublesome. I would get it replaced with a boiler loop filling kit, or fit a separate tank in the attic to feed the central heating system solely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Pipers,

Just an observation from this screen, am I the only one who thinks that hot press had an untidy plumbing system ?

It looks a little rough, if i did it i would been a lot neater! and valve B would be in a more accesable position as its probably the most used (If used correctly!)
    At least theres no qualpex used and he was able to pull bends

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

pipers,

everytime you guys solve something for us you then scare us....

what's the downside of qualplex? - he asks quietly hoping the answer is you dont like the colour!!!

Thanks.

It should not be connected within 1 metre to a boiler or cylinder

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Pipers,

Thanks for clarifying, thats ok so as plumber is planning to use using qualplex in new build to home run radiators.

thanks for the advice pipers.

if there is a leak....how does a plumber locate it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

eas wrote:

back in the old days ! i think they'd drain the system and force smoke thru the pipes - and the smoke would emerge at the leak spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

eas wrote:

:) Sometimes they use knowledge gained over a long period of adding to their skills, other times using determination based on that same foundation of knowledge ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement