Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will ATI ever get a break????

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

We know that the x1800XT is faster then the 7800GTX.

But the 7800GTX Ultra ( In all but name) is faster than the x1800XT

Don't we still have to see the X1800XT Pe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Judging by the troubles ATI are having getting any X1800XT chips out of their fabs, I'd say it'll be a fair while before their yields are good enough to crank up the speeds anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

"Freeky Deeky HDR Modes".

This is ATI's rabbit in their silicon hat.
    They don't have as good a discrete multi-gpu architecture, but there is a fat-arse (relatively) amount of silicon used for HDR stuff.
    If ATI can manage to sort out a better horizontal scaling method (multi-core dies, use dual x16 PEGs etc.) they'll do very well. Pity about the bulky cooling - though that can still be sorted if they revise the core and use lots of PLLs and independent clocks to drop the power waste. Even integrating some of the switch-mode power circuitry into the die wouldn't be a bad idea - like Intel's VIIV thing with the P-m, nb and cmos switch on a single package.

There is an awful lot of scope, and power management is going to become very very important. Some simple-enough modifications could dispense with alot of waste and open the performance envelope a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

gline wrote:
    i took a U-turn on crossfire and ordered the dfi SLI-DR EXPERT from canada.

Its here, finally got my mobo today, no customs charged on it :D . it is some kickass mobo il tell u that. now waiting on my new waterblock for the northbridge, got this http://www.heranke.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=6_35&products_id=220&osCsid=6eea8aae19450ef1e87a76cc4249c5f7

designed for the dfi sli boards, it fits along with an sli setup ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

What site did ya order the Expert from :v:

• Advertisement

http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/

the shipping was a bit expensive, but it was REALLy quick, had the board in about 4 working days, very good crowd to deal with, but u will need to send them a scan of either ur credit card or a credit card bill

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Waterblock looks like a massive flow killer.

krazy_8s wrote:
    Waterblock looks like a massive flow killer.

awell still quieter then fan :D

here she is :p bad quality though

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

sure isn\t tjatthe very one I have gline...justgot my new rig up and running today...sofar...extremely enjoyable

• Advertisement

hairball wrote:
    sure isn\t tjatthe very one I have gline...justgot my new rig up and running today...sofar...extremely enjoyable

if it is the sli-dr u have then it isnt the same one, this is the sli-dr expert, not being released in europe. The sli is automatic and more space between 2 pci-e slots and other memory enhancements :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Very nice PC hairball, congrats on a well thought out and researched build. Seems like you made sure everything would play nice together, and work well.

Always good to see a nice rig where everything is well researched.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

thanks Demon...yeah I spent many hours researching this one, was good tho...learned a lot on the way and its paid off its running lovely at stock.
    Few initial problems with sudden restarts, thought the psu was causing problems(apparently there were some issues with DFI motherboards) but a quick bios update seemed to fix it all...running stable and clean now memtest is clean, clocking just under 8000 in 3dmark 05 and core temp is 38 under full load...I'm very happy with it, and thanks to all for the suggestions along the way

Advertisement