Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will ATI ever get a break????

Options
  • 14-11-2005 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/11/14/geforce_7800_gtx_512/1.html
    Even at this early stage, where we've only managed to complete about half of our normal gameplay evaluations, we think it is fairly safe to say that this video card is the fastest video card on the planet with no exception to that fact. In newer DirectX 9.0c titles that have come out over the last few weeks and months, we have seen that the GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB is considerably faster than the Radeon X1800XT 512MB.

Good? Nah... Absolutely Fantastic? Hell yes.

So how long was the X1800XT the fastest card for, a week??? Poor ATI...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

For the likes of you and I it never was the fastest available card.

ATI bend over!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Inquitus wrote:
    For the likes of you and I it never was the fastest available card.

ATI bend over!

True, the fastest one avail is the one i can afford... The 6800ultra i have does me fine, I can play F.E.A.R maxed out fine, mighnot be able to play at a million frames per sec but i don't need to... My eyes aren't that fast, now if Nvidia or ATI could bring out new eyes that can tell the difference between these FPS results they're quids in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

It's bad news for ATI alright. The ATI x1800xt might be cheaper but people will pay the bucks to get the fastest card.

I think it's a major victory that NVidia’s cards have become available in bulk on the launch dates. I have yet to see an x1800xt in stock anywhere.

I feel sorry for anyone that has paid for a pre-ordered x1800xt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Imagine 2 in SLI :eek: :confused: :v: :D:p

* They have em on overclockers already....anyone got €750 to spare ??

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/7800__Series.html#agx_2d011_2dbg

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

just ordered mine...stupidly expensive tho...kinda feel guilty actually....not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm getting an X1800XT, even knowing about this GTX 512. More for the H.264 support, and 2x dual-dvi ports :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

astrofool wrote:
    I'm getting an X1800XT, even knowing about this GTX 512. More for the H.264 support, and 2x dual-dvi ports :)
    Yeah, I'm still keen on the ATi Card too - the architecture seems more advanced in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Like the Sega Saturn? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭DirtyHarry

tbh if u had a 7800gtx 512 and the x1800xt 512 on separate systems and compared both without benchmarks....just the naked eye...u wouldnt have a hope in seeing the difference.

Its all marketing from both sides and it makes them insane amounts of money. As the 7800gtx 512 is retailing for 649 euro.....INSANE! :p

and they will still sell for that price......pfft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

im just out to get whicever 1 overclocks the best.. its a tough call, looks like nvidia will win again though in this round. ATI just take too long to do anything thats the problem

• Advertisement

problem is all the retailers I've checked with here(denmark) are at least 7-10 days...before they get em..if at all then, so muh for widespread availability...any1 now anywhere else I might order a gtx 512 meg ?as I've just cancelled here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

gline wrote:
    im just out to get whicever 1 overclocks the best.. its a tough call, looks like nvidia will win again though in this round. ATI just take too long to do anything thats the problem

Would the price not be a deciding factor too. From what I can gather off Komplett the 7800GTX 512MB is 175 euro more expensive than a x1800xt 512MB.

Personnally I'd take the extra 175 euro and pump it into a faster processor.

But if money is no object. Well actually in that case I hate you :mad:

dent wrote:
    Would the price not be a deciding factor too. From what I can gather off Komplett the 7800GTX 512MB is 175 euro more expensive than a x1800xt 512MB.

Personnally I'd take the extra 175 euro and pump it into a faster processor.

But if money is no object. Well actually in that case I hate you :mad:

well money is not the no.1 deciding factor in my new rig. overclockability is, as ive already bought the cpu so cant pump extra money into that. Il wait and see how the x1800 Xt's overclock, i already had a dfi crossfire mobo order in the states but i cancel the order today, im gonna see if the new 7800 gtx's go down in price at all, €600 each wouldnt be too bad, but at the mo they are too overpriced

gline wrote:
    €600 each wouldnt be too bad

MAD MAN...... U could get 2x7800 gt's for €60 more than that

unklerosco wrote:
    MAD MAN...... U could get 2x7800 gt's for €60 more than that

but they wouldnt be as fast :D

True but you'f have €540 to spare and if you can honestly tell me you'll notice the difference between 7800gtx's n SLI vs 7800gts n SLI in any of todays games i'll eat all me vegetables at dinner!!!!!

unklerosco wrote:
    True but you'f have €540 to spare and if you can honestly tell me you'll notice the difference between 7800gtx's n SLI vs 7800gts n SLI in any of todays games i'll eat all me vegetables at dinner!!!!!

in a year i might , hahahah :D

yeh...and thats the point...by the way aren't overclockers charging a bit steeply for these...530 sterling's a bit much...

hairball wrote:
    yeh...and thats the point...by the way aren't overclockers charging a bit steeply for these...530 sterling's a bit much...

not many more options my friend. komplett charging a bomb for them too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

I got my X1800XT a couple of days back, I'm still happy with it though :) Ati still haven't had a few official driver releases like Nvidia have so imo the benches are a bit unfair at the moment. Mind you the GTX 512mb looks like a beast of a card, well done to Nvidia ;)

Pics Here

BeatFreak wrote:
    I got my X1800XT a couple of days back, I'm still happy with it though :) Ati still haven't had a few official driver releases like Nvidia have so imo the benches are a bit unfair at the moment. Mind you the it looks like a beast of a card, well done to Nvidia ;)

Pics Here

where did u manage to get one?

Arrived from OCUK on Monday afternoon. I was lucky enough to be one of the first to place a back order with them when the news got around that they would be getting a shipment (thanks again to WiZzard for the heads up :) ).

Once I get the chip, mobo, ram, psu AND second watercooling loop I'll be benching the fu*k of of her with stock and watercooling.

i took a U-turn on crossfire and ordered the dfi SLI-DR EXPERT from canada.

so I take it some 7800gtx 512's will also be making their way to you soon???:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

am probably going to wait with buying my X1800XT til after Xmas.
    only just psent a bomb on the X-FI with the S750 speakers, hardly play any more, but try to find the physical noise limit of the damn speakers, I tell you, I have managed to get the max volume to 75% roughly, but then it feels like the speakers are crushing you, LOL

I am also wondering if ATI might have something else still up their sleeve in regards to either further cutting the price of the X1800XT or bringing an even bigger model out in the next few weeks/months as they do actually have the technology to do so at this stage

hairball wrote:
    so I take it some 7800gtx 512's will also be making their way to you soon???:)

not soon, probably next year at this rate, still need other bits for the new rig

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

what day did u order BeatFreak? I ordered on the 28th, and didn't get one.

well I got sick of mis quoted delivery dates, had a good think about it and decided to order a 7800 gtx 256 meg instead, picking it up tomorrow, when hopefully my ram and as5 arrive and I can actually turn the pile of quickly depreciating parts into a nice lil games eater.
    Besides can always sli it later if I feel the need or just hang in to see what nvidia do next year...either way, nice to remove myself from the all too easy to get caught up in upgrade race

• Advertisement

I got a "order received" mail from OCUK at exactly Oct 28, 2005 5:49 PM... I must have gotten lucky :/

Advertisement