Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Padraig Nally be in jail?

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If somebody punches me, should I be allowed shoot them civdef?
    Which crimes can I murder somebody for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The facetious answer is any of them, once the jury agree with your actions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Angels on the sideline,
    Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they're all confused.

Don't these talking monkeys know that
    Eden has enough to go around?
    Plenty in this holy garden, silly monkeys
    Where there's one you're bound to divide it,
    Right in two.

Angels on the sideline,
    Baffled and confused
    Father blessed them all with reason,
    And this is what they choose.
    Monkey killing monkey, killing monkey
    Over pieces of the ground.

Silly monkeys give them thumbs,
    They forge a blade, and where there's one
    They're bound to divide it,
    Right in two

Monkey killing monkey, killing monkey,
    Over pieces of the ground.
    Silly monkeys, give them thumbs
    They make a club and beat their brother down.
    How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
    Repugnant is a creature who would squander
    The ability to live tonight in heaven
    Conscious of his fleeting time here
    Cut it right all, right in two.

Fight over cloud, over earth, over sky
    Fight over life, over blood, over air and light
    Fight over love, over sun, over another.
    Fight for each other, for the ones who are rising.

Angels on the sideline, again.
    Been so long with patience and reason.
    Angels on the sideline, again.
    Wondering when this tug of war will end.
    Cut it right all, right in two.
    Right in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

Sometimes I wonder why I left Ireland, but then I hear of gross miscarraiges of justice like todays verdict, and racist claptrap like some of these posts and then I know I made the right decision to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Maybe we need more sensible people back here, like CuJimmy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Fantastic verdict today, great to see him leave the courts a free man.
    Devon wrote:
    I think the travelling community will be set on delivering their own summary justice to Nally... possibly even going so far as to 'return the favour'?

Hopefully not. I'd hope for his own sake he leaves the country tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

civdef wrote:
    I got that far and made my own mind up on the rights and wrongs of it. It appears the jury and most of the people in this country did the same.
    Here's the catch - there's no proof other than Nally's word and your prejudice that Ward was ever in the house. And we already know Nally lied about the events of that day.

civdef wrote:
    None of those people is Nally. Which means he had as much right to claim overwhelming fear as I do walking through the IFSC. After all, the chap shot there this morning was shot 20 seconds walk from where half my company is working. That's a damn sight closer than Nally ever came to physical harm. So do I get to get a shotgun and unload into the next hoodie I see walking towards me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

In fairness, all we know about this case is what has been reported in the media. The jury sat through the entire trial, may have taken notes, listened to the prosecution and listened to the defense, and then listened again to the arguments through 16 hours of deliberations.

None of us did that. All we can say is what, given our very limited understanding of the details, no matter how many soundbytes you may have heard on the radio or seen on Prime Time tonight, say what we might have decided, and what our hunches are. None of us have given the extensive time to this case that the men and women of the jury did.

We all have a hunch, or an idea either way, we assume what we would have decided. But the entire debate about any jury's verdict in such a trial is pretty null to be honest. It's founded in supposition and guesswork. None of really know anything. Whatever our opinion, the answer to the poll is unquestionably no, because Nally was acquitted.

• Advertisement

And we already know Nally lied about the events of that day.

Who is this "we"?

Who is this "we"?
    That'd be those of us who listened to Nally himself and to the report from the state pathologist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Time to move this to the cuckoos nest.

But not including the jury, or apparently the prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It seems not one of you can discuss this in a reasonable manner. Thread closed. Start one in News/Media or Humanities if you want, but be warned, the type of crap going on in this thread will get you banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement